Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As with all card games, there is trepidation as to if you can have enough cards with few starters and boosters to make an effective deck. That all means more money from your pocket as usually uncommon, rare cards make the game "more fun".

But thankfully with Warhammer Invasion, you get a hybrid board/card game that lets you dive into the foray of fast and fun fantasy combat immediately WITHOUT the need to buy ANYMORE cards.

This is nothing like the poorly designed warhammer card games that came out several years ago (from sabertooth games). I love the warhammer mythos but even if you are not familiar with the lore etc., the game stands strongly on its own two feet.

Object of the game:
Destroy 2/3 of the cities zones or force the enemy player to run out of cards.

Rules: 8.5/10
Rules are quick, easy, and streamlined and for the most part make sense.

Setup: 10/10
Easy and FAST to set up

Play time 9/10
Games can take about 20-45 minutes

Collectible Factor 10/10
The game comes with four decks (chaos, dwarf, empire, orcs) along with some side-races and neutral cards --- you dont have to buy anything else to have a blast with this game. The cards are great, fun and interact well with other cards (but as for me I cant wait for the expansions).

Production 7/10

FFG typically produces great quality games, alot of the artwork was reused from Gamesworkshop and Mythic. Some of the artwork is ok - the card stock is ok (could have been a bit more thicker) reminds me of Spellfire's card stock. The City boards are ok in looks - they should have made the battlefield the WIDE area of the city. For 40 or so bucks I was hoping for a bit more in quality (sorry FFG fanbois).

Complexity 8/10
Lots of great card interactions and strategies but yet the game has a true fast paced feel to it. I love it.

Fun Factor 9.5/10
Wow, this is a great, fun game. Easy to learn, easy to collect, simple rules, great varied strategies, easy to set up, tense moments.

Wife Factor 9/10Wife loves the game.

Kid Factor ?Havent tried yet.

Should you get it?A resounding yes -- I play quite a few different board/card games and this one was made nearly flawless. FFG hit it out of the park with this one. Done are the days of CCGs. FFG put in enough great cards to make this a valued investment.

Overal 9.5/10 (must buy for any fantasy, warhammer fan).

About Warhammer Invasion's game play(end of quick review)

You can either prebuild or do a draft version of making your decks (I am glad they included that).

Build an army and defend 3 zones of your city -- only cards in the battlefield zone can attack the enemy, only cards in the quest zone can draw cards, and only cards in the capitol zone can provide resources (i.e. mana to buy cards).

You have to manage your card draws, resources and fend off attacks by protecting these zones while inflicting damage on your opponent. Tough choices will be made and bluffing your opponent becomes key.

Each race is different. I played with empire (some mobility, ok spells, scouts), dwarfs (great building utility cards and great heroes), chaos (can tap cards, alot of combat cards) Orks (cant remember).

Enjoy all and ADD this to your Christmas list!

UPDATE: Had a few more games -- Chaos is mean! Whether its how I draw cards or how the cards interact, Chaos is a screw with your opponent deck. Just got to be patient and start building out your kingdom and start having the cards interact with each other. I was lucky to set up one game to call out my Bloodthirster -- that guy is mean! The orcs, IMHO, don't seem to have that many cool cards or a theme that they carry that distingusihes them enough from the dwarves/empire/chaos. I was hoping to maybe see a mechanic where they use swarms (but maybe thats being saved for the Skaven). The orcs are somewhat good at destroying kingdom improvements though. But still playing and really enjoying the game.

Update 2: Try this unbelievably mean combo -- put greatswords in your battlefield -- then move your pistoliers back and forth adding +1 atks to the greatswords each time they enter that zone- do thsi several times and you can jack the power up greatly on those greatswords ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review - I really like the way you organized the review to cut to the chase and yet communicated a lot of info. I was interested in the kid factor - probably will buy this to play with my ten year old. Gotta like the wife factor score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bowler
United Kingdom
Stockport
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Gotta like the wife factor score.

Yeah but what did she have to do to get a perfect 10? I'm hoping my copy arrives by the weekend as my best friend is home, otherwise I wont get to play until christmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a little nervous about popping this one on the wife considering the theme... but She is so damn good at gaming and we ned a few more 2 player games. I know she will like the art so I am hoping that she can dig on the theme enough to get some plays in

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me even more excited for my copy to arrive this Thursday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Duke BGG wrote:
Quote:
Gotta like the wife factor score.

Yeah but what did she have to do to get a perfect 10? I'm hoping my copy arrives by the weekend as my best friend is home, otherwise I wont get to play until christmas

Ha ..great question - first she could stop bickering with me about every frickin rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Jason - let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bowler
United Kingdom
Stockport
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
first she could stop bickering with me about every frickin rule

lol... Surely that's a good thing though... She must like the game a lot to argue over every point? Or maybe she just really likes beating you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Duke BGG wrote:
Quote:
first she could stop bickering with me about every frickin rule

lol... Surely that's a good thing though... She must like the game a lot to argue over every point? Or maybe she just really likes beating you?

Lol, you know what -- maybe thats her way of saying "I like this game" - otherwise she wouldnt care --- but she does delight in beating me at games so maybe thats the true reason (rules lawyer - any advantage she can get) -- good thing I dont play D&D 2nd edition with her!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bowler
United Kingdom
Stockport
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 2nd ed with a group of people who are out to twist the rules to their advantage. One of them used to tell me he could do all manner of stuff and then when I asked for proof he would wave a rulebook at me, but I never had time to check during the game. After the game I would check and he would have been lying... *grrr* Although all of that led to some rather amusing, almost munchkin-esque games.

Hope you're still enjoying the game, mine arrives this week sometime... Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always made my players find the exact paragraph and line and hand me the rule book. Can't find it, can't do it, no retcon.

It was a very concise review and matches a lot of what my own experiences were and what I'm hearing from a lot of other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.