Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another new Monsterpocalypse release? Yes, and while I might bemoan the hit to my bank account, I must buy it. Because Monsterpocalypse controls me via some terrible mesmerism. I blame the Lords of Cthul, but let's move on.

I recently bought a few boosters of the Monsterpocalypse Now! expansion. While I still haven't been lucky enough to get the giant mantis or one of the apes, I did get the Triton sea monster Krakenoctus and the Subterranean Grindix-Birvikaan. And so I unleashed these destructive kaijus upon each other in a fight to the finish.

The weigh in:

The Tritons belong to the same agenda as the Martian Menace. I decided that the Martians, having not enough luck conquering the earth with their own monsters, asked their undersea allies for some backup. So the mighty octopus rose from the ocean depths to their aid. Krakenoctus is a fairly balanced monster. His ultra form has a cool built in combo where he can attack a unit, take a bite out of it, throw that unit, and (if he has enough dice left over) can even unleash a final blast attack. A potent combo.

The Subterranean Uprising belong to the same agenda as the Lords of Cthul. Deep within the earth, the mole people have worshipped the ancient gods since before humanity walked on two legs. So to aid their dark gods, the Subterraneans sent the biotechnological horror that is Grindix-Birvikaan. This albino monstrosity sports a buzzsaw and a laser drill. Grindix has no blast attack, but he makes up for it with a powerful brawling ability. Including a new brawl trigger named Grind that can be absolutely devastating.

And so the battle begins.

The battle started as usual. Both sides seized some buildings and objective points while their respective monsters advanced on each other. The map was crowded with buildings, so Grindix (with his Burrow ability) had a small advantage in maneuverability. Though he has no blast, he can swat units, and was able to hurl a few enemy units at Krakenoctus to do some damage and gain an advantage.

Krakenoctus smashed a few buildings out of his way and attacked back. A few buildings were destroyed as the monsters bodyslammed each other into the cityscape. While Krakenoctus made a decent comeback, he never quite caught up in damage, and eventually, Grindix defeated Krakenoctus's alpha form. For a moment, it looked like an easy victory for Grindix, but Krakenoctus proved to be no pushover and fought back with new vigor. Grindix went ultra!

Here's where the tide of the battle turns. While power dice are important for all monsters, both Grindix and Krakenoctus really thrive on them, especially in their ultra forms. Grindix had maintained the power dice advantage from the beginning, which was key to his success.

Grindix had a choice. He could retreat to his side of the map, where there were few hazards or buildings in the corner remaining to use against him. Or he could push into enemy territory and unleash a Super Stomp, gaining 8 power dice in one blow. Never one to shy away from carnage, Grindix chose the second option. The attack succeeds, and Grindix crushes 3 enemy units and a nuclear plant. He's bristling with power dice now!

Krakenoctus rushes after Grindix, determined to finish off the hideous mutant. He manages to strike Grindix for a point of damage, tried to follow it up with a blast attack, but misses.

Grindix rushes forward and, with the confidence that comes with a giant buzzsaw arm, attacks. The Grind ability can be brutal. It's a brawl trigger that allows Grindix to discard two action dice, two power dice, two boost dice after a successful attack and (if there are any action dice left over) to attack again. If successful, this can be done again. Until either Grindix misses or he runs out of action dice. While it's a potent power, capable of potentially inflicting 4 damage in one attack, he really needs a bucketload of power dice to make it work to its full potential. Grindix had those power dice. Cue maniacal laughter.

Grindix's buzzsaw indeed unleashes furious devastation on his opponent. Krakenoctus is cut to ribbons. Not quite defeated, the giant squid struggles to claim victory, but he's so weakened that all it takes is a few squix and a cthulhubite to fly forward and finish him off. An inglorious end to the sea beast.

As usual, Monsterpocalypse continues to impress me. I love the theme, love the game. These new monsters and factions add more to an already great game.

So what did I learn from my battle between these two titans?

Grindix is a devastating monster in close combat (in either form). Being able to burrow makes him difficult to outmaneuver and his Superstomp rewards him for clearing the battlefield. However, while his ultra form can be absolutey deadly, it is power dice dependent, moreso than most other monsters. With a steady flow of power dice, he is a terror.

Krakenoctus is a more subtle monster. He does have some nifty abilities. Reach and Munch means he can easily gobble down enemy units. In ultra form, Krakenoctus can be dangerous too. Not quite as power dice dependent as Grindix, but still requiring them to take full advantage of his ultra form. My opponent didn't "get" Krakenoctus right away, which allowed me to seize an early advantage and maintain it. But I think Krakenoctus is a surprisingly effective anti-unit monster. More than any other previous monster, Krakenoctus seems designed to use an enemy force's units for his benefit and against his enemy.

So another Monsterpocalypse battle, just like I write for every new expansion. I might get around to one more, but I'll probably wait until I get ahold of my Manticon and King Kondo figures. I'm sure it will be a matchup of legends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rousing report! Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget, Ultra Krak has Tow as well, so that unit he attacks, eats, & throws can be up to 5 spaces away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my opponent didn't use Tow at all, so I think that worked against him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.