Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other people seem to be able to tell when someone has done this, but I can't. How do you tell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
click the number to the left of thethumb icon to see who has thumbed the post, e.g. apeloverage Tippers also show up there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
Other people seem to be able to tell when someone has done this, but I can't. How do you tell?

Check at the number next to my thumb count. You will see my own user name giving me a thumb for my own post.

edit: Ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:

I can tell when your contribution sucks, and there's only one thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really sure who might care if you have thumbed your own post, after all, you can only thumb it once. However, remember that if you want to, you can un-thumb anything you have thumbed by clicking the thumb icon again. All trace of the thumb vanishes from existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Threads here are like conversations, and thumbing your own posts are the equivalent of ending statements with "I think I'm soooo clever!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
...thumbing your own posts are the equivalent of ending statements with "I think I'm soooo clever!".

Oh, I see. Well, in that case I would never say anything like that. I would definitely leave out the "I think" part...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be a cool T-shirt to wear at Bgg con...

------->

Thumbs his
own posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
You will also notice that you've received a 0.01 tip.

To find out who gave this to you, you can either:
1. Goto MyGeek>Geekstuff and click on Collected.

or the easy way...

2. Click on the 0.01 and it will also show you who thumbed and who tipped. This has the exact same function as clicking on the green number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a weird thing. I normally do not thumb my own stuff, but on occasion I have thumbed my own stuff.

I mean, of course everyone thinks what they contributed has vaule, or they wouldn't have taken the time to post it; so why would it be strange when they thumb their own content? To not to isn't logical if you really think about it.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:
It is a weird thing. I normally do not thumb my own stuff, but on occasion I have thumbed my own stuff.

I mean, of course everyone thinks what they contributed has vaule, or they wouldn't have taken the time to post it; so why would it be strange when they thumb their own content? To not to isn't logical if you really think about it.....

For the exact same reason that I tell my students to not write "in my opinion," it's redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This site really is supposed to be family friendly. Please refrain from sharing when you feel the need to thumb yourself.

Superhawk2300 wrote:

Well, I recall once reading some post linked from some list or another, and finding the information interesting, interesting enough to go to thumb it, and realize I wrote it. More commonly I've gone to thumb something only to see I already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:

------->

Thumbs his
own posts.

This would be even cooler if "own posts" was alone on the back of the shirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:

Of course, you could look at this the other way. Everyone thinks that what they contributed has value, so why WOULD they thumb their own post? What does that add?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.

PS It wasn't me doing it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:

One would hope that people would refrain from posting things that they didn't think were thumb-worthy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
Everyone thinks that what they contributed has value, so why WOULD they thumb their own post? What does that add?

Narcissism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:

I've never actually thumbed my own post or thread (except maybe by mistake), but I've been tempted to thumb some threads, not for my contribution but for the content of the thread itself. For example, I posted a rules question for an expansion for a game. The rules were unclear. The designer answered. The thread became valuable. Should I thumb it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
claudio212 wrote:
Superhawk2300 wrote:

I've never actually thumbed my own post or thread (except maybe by mistake), but I've been tempted to thumb some threads, not for my contribution but for the content of the thread itself. For example, I posted a rules question for an expansion for a game. The rules were unclear. The designer answered. The thread became valuable. Should I thumb it?

I'd say no. If the question is "a good question" and helpful to others, then they will thumb it. But, even if the designer was polite enough to answer your question, it may have been a poor question and still not helpful to the rest of the community, despite your personal thoughts. modest

Just remember, There are no such things as Stupid Questions, only Stupid People.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Roliander wrote:

------->

Thumbs his
own posts.

Or maybe something like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more interested to know whether or not there are people who go around checking to see if others have thumbed their own posts. To me, this would fall under the category of somewhat creepy behavior.

And yes, I often do thumb my own posts, simply because I like to see the number increase... just a facet of my mild OCD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Threads here are like conversations, and thumbing your own posts are the equivalent of ending statements with "I think I'm soooo clever!".

But you really should make sure your thumb is clean before thumbing yourself or it just makes you look tacky rather than sooo clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paradoxes wrote:
I'm more interested to know whether or not there are people who go around checking to see if others have thumbed their own posts. To me, this would fall under the category of somewhat creepy behavior.

I sometimes look to see who has thumbed posts in discussions I'm in, not to see whether somebody thumbed their own, but to see who agreed or gave geekgold. If I do happen to notice that somebody thumbed their own, I tend to be surprised and somewhat embarrassed for them.

paradoxes wrote:
And yes, I often do thumb my own posts, simply because I like to see the number increase... just a facet of my mild OCD.

You can only increase the count for your own post by one. Is that even meaningful? I think you'd gain more respect if you got away from that habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
But you really should make sure your thumb is clean before thumbing yourself or it just makes you look tacky rather than sooo clever.

I just hope your thumb is clean if you thumb my posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
Roliander wrote:

------->

Thumbs his
own posts.

Or maybe something like this:

I dunno, Thumbs his own post in all the same letters is probably just as funny, as "post" could be representative of at least one thing that fits the intent of what you're trying to do.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.