Rodrigo
Paraguay
Asunción
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This solitaire variant was designed to be played with both Anima cardgames, together or not. It was playtested with both games and the Open Rolls optional rule. It has not been playtested with the Tree Structure optional rule.

The objective here was to make possible to play Anima solo but with the same feel of the normal game: that is, the less modifications, the better (rule 5.2 is the one central to this solitaire variant).

1. Objectives:
To complete at least one from two basic missions (each one with a ten-round timer) and then complete the final mission (either before its timer reaches zero or - during Crisis! - before the rival party).

2. Setup:
2.1. As per normal rules, buy 2 characters and 4 advantages and then discard one of each.
2.2. Draw another character: this is the first one on the rival party.
2.3. Reveal one basic mission and place a 10-sided die on it as its timer. Set it to 10 at the beginning of the first round and drop one at the beginning of each round after the first. If the basic mission is not completed, place it on the rival party, that get its benefits as if it had completed it.
2.4. Draw one area and place it with a preliminary encounter face down. On the first round, your party may go to this area or search for new horizons. On this solitaire game, the maximum number of areas in play cannot exceed 3.

3. Reset phase:
3.1. If the first basic mission has been completed (or its timer has ran out), draw another one with a renewed timer set to 10. If the second basic mission has been completed (or its timer has ran out), draw a final mission (unless the you weren`t able to complete a single basic mission, in which case the game ends and you are defeated).
3.2. Proceed as normal. You may play any reset cards you deem appropriate, even the ones to hinder the rival party. Do not forget to un-spin characters from the rival party.
3.3. Rival party`s character may have useful special abilities relevant to what`s going on with the player`s party. Don`t forget to spin these character to use their powers: I mean, if you aren`t un-spinning and then spinning the rival Assassin every single round, you aren`t playing this solitaire variant right.

4. Movement phase:
4.1. Proceed as per normal rules.
4.2. The rival party doesn't get to move. In fact, you don't play it as a normal party: it may act on the reset phase as described above (spinning characters to activate their special abilities or cards acquired on the previous round), and it may recruit on the explorarion phase (see conditions below), but it doesn't do anything else besides those things and through rule 5.2 (see below: basically, it is a rule to check if the rival party is in the same area of the player's party and if combat will occur, or if another type of interaction will happen).

5. Interaction phase:
5.1. Trade is never an option.
5.2. Draw and play one advantage card for the rival party. If it is a trap, it triggers and affects the player`s party right away. If it is a faction, an organization or any card with permanent positive effects (usually a plot card), place it on the rival party at the appropriate phase (usually the next reset phase). If it is a negative effect card (usually a plot card) to be played on the reset phase, save it to be played on yourself at the start of the next round (do not forget to spin the rival party character with the power to do so, if necessary; if it is a Ki, Magic or Trickery card and the rival party doesn`t have a character with the power to activate it, discard it at the end of the round without effect). If it is an interruption card, save it for the rival party until the end of the round, to then check if it will be useful. If it is a combat card, see if a character from the rival party is able to activate it this round: if the answer is yes and the rival party has at least the same number of characters or combat total than the player`s party, then combat issues - spin the rival party's character in question to play the combat card.
5.3. If the player is conducting a resistance mission, the rival party always attacks.
5.4. If the rival party doesn`t attack, you may do so if the rival party has the same number of characters (or more) than your party.
5.5. Apply normal combat rules, but draw as many cards as characters the rival party has (do not count incapacitated or spun characters, but do already include in the count any Interruption card that the rival party may have acquired this round). Put in play any useful combat or interruption cards by spinning the rival party`s characters with related powers. Discard any useless cards. Spin remaining characters with useful special abilities to activate them.
5.6. If you win the combat and kill one character of the rival party, you get to choose which character gets killed.

6. Exploration phase:
6.1. Proceed as per normal rules.
6.2. If you recruit a character, the rival party recruits one as well unless it has lost a combat to your party this same round or it has more characters than your party.
6.3. If you do not recruit and if the rival party has not lost a combat to you this round, the rival party recruits one character if it has less characters than your party.
6.4. Follow normal rules regarding Arcane characters: the rival party will try to draw one whenever possible.

7. Missions:
7.1. If you complete both basic missions, before you reveal the final mission, draw another basic mission and place it on the rival party, giving this party its bonuses as if the party had completed it.
7.2. The rival party doesn`t try to complete the final mission, but once Crisis! starts, it will try to do so if it has higher Speed than your party. When the rival party tries to win during Crisis!, buy as many advantage cards to it as characters it has (do not count incapacitated or spun characters). Play those cards if possible and useful to the rival party.

8. Ending conditions:
8.1. Player completes one or two basic mission and the final mission (Crisis! or not): win (you may record the total number of rounds for future reference).
8.2. Player doesn`t complete a single basic mission or fails the final mission (during Crisis!): defeat.
8.3. Rival party completes final mission (during Crisis!): defeat.

9. If you want to make things harder (apply one or more of the following):
9.1. The number of areas in play cannot exceed 2.
9.2. If you lose a total of 4 characters along the gaming session, you lose.
9.3. The rival party may attack the player's party regardless of the number of characters in both parties, but it always attack with a number of characters equal to the number of characters in the player's party plus 1.
9.4. Timer is set to 8 at the beginning of each basic mission.
9.5. The rival party starts with 4 characters, all of them Arcane.
9.6. The rival party may recruit regardless of the number of characters in the player's party. It may recruit up to 5 characters.

10. If you want to make things easier (apply one or more of the following):
10.1. Both parties start with 2 characters (for your party: buy three, discard one).
10.2. Start with one Arcane character.
10.3. Timer is set to 15 at the beginnig of the first (and only the first) basic mission.
10.4. At setup, open 2 areas. The maximum number of areas is 4.
10.5. Rival party only interacts with your party this round if you roll 4+ on the six-sided die at the beginning of the reset phase.
10.6. If you have completed both basic missions and you reduce the rival party to 2 characters less than yours, you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
Just got the game and am very interested in making it quick-playing solo. Your variant saves a lot of time. Love that it stays very true to the original rules.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You two can compare with each other too!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/333804/solo-play-rules

I will try using both and once I did, I will feedback to you.

Great job!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodrigo,
Quote:

2.3. Reveal one basic mission and place a 10-sided die on it as its timer. Set it to 10 at the beginning of the first round and drop one at the beginning of each round after the first. If the basic mission is not completed, place it on the rival party, that get its benefits as if it had completed it.

What happened after that you can't complete the first basic mission? Do you draw another basic mission card and set the same timer for it? What if both basic events cannot be completed simply because I can't draw the right area card from the deck? For example, I failed the Demon Queen mission because I couldn't find the area the Lost Ruins by my draw. Do the area cards that were discarded return to the deck for a reshuffle when the second mission card is up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo
Paraguay
Asunción
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

It has been a while since I wrote that (and I don't even have the game anymore ), but I'll try to address your questions:

- What happened after that you can't complete the first basic mission? Do you draw another basic mission card and set the same timer for it?

Yes (rule 3.1).

- What if both basic events cannot be completed simply because I can't draw the right area card from the deck?

A defeat occurs (rules 3.1 and 8.2). It's harsh, I know...

- For example, I failed the Demon Queen mission because I couldn't find the area the Lost Ruins by my draw. Do the area cards that were discarded return to the deck for a reshuffle when the second mission card is up?

I would say that they don't, but I also don't see any problems by playing it that way (with the reshuffle).

If basic missions are becoming too dificult because of not finding the right area, I would suggest playing with both rule 10.3 and rule 10.4.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Vila Rodríguez
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Las Palmas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hola Rodrigo:

¿Podrías publicar estas reglas en español o enviármelas por email?

Gracias por adelantado.

Salud s
manolovila

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.