Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my subscription copy of the game today and was struck by how immediately appealing the art was. A little understated, thematic, nice colours. Love it

My former favourite was probably the original Tinners' Trail.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - I really like the cover-art on the Treefrog games. If I could afford it I would buy them almost on this alone. Unfortunately they work out pretty expensive down here in NZ and I can only really only justify about one a year.

I am probably saddest about not picking up Tinners Trail - I thought the original cover art was stunning. The JKLM reprint is unfortunately not - it is worse than awful (if that is possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should see if someone wants to trade an older copy just to get the saner money track. I would never do it myself.

Yes, living in Europe makes some games cheaper.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Yes - I really like the cover-art on the Treefrog games. If I could afford it I would buy them almost on this alone. Unfortunately they work out pretty expensive down here in NZ and I can only really only justify about one a year.

I'm surprised you think they're expensive here. Last Train cost me NZ $110.58, which while it isn't cheap, is about the same price you'd pay here for a game with a similar amount of components (eg Small World and Formula D were $108, Steam was over $100).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:

I'm surprised you think they're expensive here. Last Train cost me NZ $110.58, which while it isn't cheap, is about the same price you'd pay here for a game with a similar amount of components (eg Small World and Formula D were $108, Steam was over $100).

Yes - fair call. All games are pretty expensive here, though the exchange rate (vs $US) was much worse at the time I bought Automobile so that has probably coloured my view a bit.

In fairness it is also to do with limited gaming budget and with play oportunities and complexity - the Wallace games are great but I do quite a bit of 2-player gaming (with my wife) and also have young children (oldest is nearly 7). My game purchases therefore need to be ones that I will actually play now and in the reasonably forseeable future - like Dominion, Stone Age, Endeavor etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice cover art it is but I'd much rather have a nice looking board.

LTtW has the most horrible looking board I have ever, ever seen. Yuk. And it looks worse in real life than it does in the photos. A real turn-off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
100%Blade wrote:
Nice cover art it is but I'd much rather have a nice looking board. LTtW has the most horrible looking board I have ever, ever seen. Yuk. And it looks worse in real life than it does in the photos. A real turn-off.

Seems a pretty legitimate criticism. The homey and pastoral theme, parts and cover don't seem well reflected in this board. Maybe the game needs to be re-themed, eg to track the passage of spoilt cheese cultures through the intestinal tracts, thence into communal pipelines, etc.

Sounds like a fun play, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cover this and more in the bits review

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For context, here's the board in all its gory.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
At a certain angle I think it looks a little like a clown fish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
At a certain angle I think it looks a little like a clown fish

Clownfish roadkill maybe.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
thepackrat wrote:

Clownfish roadkill maybe.

B>
Indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Velivassakis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree that the box cover is beautiful! I like it very much. As far as the board is concerned, it's the worst I've ever seen soblue although I'm sure it would be very functional.

Mr. Wallace should pay more attention on artwork in the future. I can't believe that there is a man on earth who likes this board.

P.S. I found previous Treefrog games' artwork nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You liked the Automobile board? Really?

I showed it to a neutral party yesterday and got an immediate response of 'Look! Aveoli!'. Those aren't great colours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_alveolus

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it strange how tastes differ. I like this board fine, and hate Automobile's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Isn't it strange how tastes differ. I like this board fine, and hate Automobile's

I don't think anyone liked the Automobile board. Some people said that the colours were slightly less offensive in print vs on a monitor I think.

Sure, if you happen to find the sight of a fat-wreathed organ lying on the table appealing, this is certainly the board for you!

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

I like the board as well. I was a bit hesitant when I saw pictures in the rules (before I ordered it).

But, mine is much more subdued than what I see in the pics here and in the rulebook. Maybe mine was printed as the orange was running low and the residue was all that was really needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Those aren't great colours.

Please provide us with a list of "great colors" so that we all know what they are... the more people that become aware of these colors the less chance that there will be that there is a game designed where the board offends your tastes.

It was the board that attracted me to the game. I really think it looks great. I must not like great colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
Those aren't great colours.

Please provide us with a list of "great colors" so that we all know what they are... the more people that become aware of these colors the less chance that there will be that there is a game designed where the board offends your tastes.

It's not so much a matter of knowing it when I see it, so much as knowing it when more than half a dozen people walk by and all ask why we're playing a game with a body part on it.
Quote:

It was the board that attracted me to the game. I really think it looks great. I must not like great colors.

If you like eviscerated body parts on grass, this is certainly the game for you. I happen not to, nor do I know anyone who does.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlexL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sad thing is that all the administrative cruft around the edge - the influence tracks, train display etc. - all looks pretty good when you're actually playing the thing. The font and colours are actually appropriate to the the theme and era. The hedgerows and and fields are not the distraction I expected. It's just the garish colour choices for the valleys and hills that let the design down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexL wrote:
The sad thing is that all the administrative cruft around the edge - the influence tracks, train display etc. - all looks pretty good when you're actually playing the thing. The font and colours are actually appropriate to the the theme and era. The hedgerows and and fields are not the distraction I expected. It's just the garish colour choices for the valleys and hills that let the design down.

The fat and meat? Yes indeed. I agree the other stuff is quite nice.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.