Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic» Forums » Rules

Subject: My first impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very easy game, rules are really straightforward once you play and all combat exemples and rules explanation are there. The best is to read the rules once thoroughly and then consult them only if needed. Don't forget to read the explanation on dice convention in the introduction chapter. The electronic version downloadable from the 5th column website does also give you a search tool on pdf, if you do not find your way through the booklet. My minor remaining questions so far are the following:

Questions
1- is it correct that there is no international/national impact if one of the Argentinian sub is sunk while there are no British losses ?
2- if an Argentinian sub is sunk does the other go to RfW and the task forces go off map or is there no other impact ?

Map is beautiful but very big ! So I cannot just leave it sitting there for a whole week. My flat is too small and my boys are too active^^
So for following turns, next to my computer, I just keep an A4 copy of the task force board, the dices, the cards and the combat chart. It will enable me to play and clean after play each day.
It will also save the board and counters from my 2 childs' exocet loaded firemen trucks and police quads rolling over south atlantic.
I also regret that the meteo sheet is not printed on the map so I will possibly use the meteo counters.

6 days took 1h to play while writing an AAR. And truth, there is a lot of stress for each dice roll and event card draw.

May1st to May 6th- An early bombardement of Stanley airfield resulted in 2 Harrier shot down by enemy anti air fire. Another Harrier has lost his way (in cloudy weather) on return from an interdiction mission over the Falklands. After some initial reluctance to fight, the Argentinian Navy is now moving steadily its assets to sea (Belgrano and subs at sea and 25 de Mayo at port). No losses on both sides, although the British subs had detected their Argentinian counterparts, they were not given a chance to sink them. The Argentinian Aerial Forces were nowhere to be seen, except for a lone Canberra in reco mission shot down at 20 miles from the covering ships by Sea Dart system. We still have strong support from Home and International opinion was only dissapointed once (by our refusal of a UNO truce sponsored by the Soviet Union).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lugbar wrote:

Questions
1- is it correct that there is no international/national impact if one of the Argentinian sub is sunk while there are no British losses ?
2- if an Argentinian sub is sunk does the other go to RfW and the task forces go off map or is there no other impact ?

I don't have the rules in front of me but I remember there being consequences if an Argentinian ship or submarine is sunk outside of the exclusion zone (and assuming no British ship or sub has been lost yet). This list of consequences also state what happens to the other Argie naval forces.

And it is a fun game isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi,

If a sub is lost, (and there are no British losses), then it depends WHERE it is sunk.

Search Box - International Opinion falls by 1, and Domestic Opinion also falls by 1 if it is currently 4 or less.

Coastal Box - International Opinion Falls by 2, and Domestic Opinion also falls by 2 if it is currently 4 or less.

And yes, any surviving sub goes to RFW Box, and Task Groups are placed off board.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes a lot of fun
Played through May 21st and stopped short of the landings.

* All was good until May 14th. Supply was already short on the Falklands. Though, I lost a little too many Harier in the interdiction missions. On the 14th, the French Frigates of Patrol group have succeded to approach the Task Force in the middle of foggy weather and have sunk 2 of the British vessels (you imagine how many luck this needs...incredible) Coventry and Brilliant hit by sea-sea missiles
* The next day, sunny weather, we decide to regroup the Task Force after the night attack. Unfortunately the Hermes has a propeller issue and we decide to have it repaired (it will take 4 days !) That is the opportunity for the Argentinian Air Force.
The Argentinian pilots appear in the sky and 2 raid of Daggers sink the Broadsword and the Ardent !
* A lucky hit from a Canberra adds the Glasgow on the list on the 16th.
* There a big holes in my defenses and the Super etendard find one on the 18th and sink HMS Fearless with an Exocet missile. Worth to note, the HMS Alacrity destroys another Exocet the same day, having spotted it long range.

* Once the Hermes comes back, Maggie orders to bomb Argentinian mainland and teaches some political lesssons to his Foreign Minister. At the eve of the landings, Domestic opinion is 3, International 4...and the datalink system falls down (Cursed ?)
Sutton is launched without delay !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The bigger issue I have so far in the rules is whether in one sub or surface actions, the Argentinian must use the Naval attack resolution chart or whether they have to go back to port without consulting the chart.

Is there a list of all possible situation ?

2. Another question about results. If a Task Group is put back to its original zone after a failed attack (naval attack resolution result), does it get a chance to roll for Task Force detection or not ?

3. On the turn Operation Sutton is put on front, is there a draw of a last event card ?
I eventually got Datalink issue on May 21st and decided to launch operation Sutton nonetheless (passing from sitrep16 to Sutton). Will I ever get a chance to repair again ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Quintero
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. Another question about results. If a Task Group is put back to its original zone after a failed attack (naval attack resolution result), does it get a chance to roll for Task Force detection or not ?

I play that they do. I do not remember seeing anything in the rules saying they can't. (don't have the rules in front of me)

Quote:
3. On the turn Operation Sutton is put on front, is there a draw of a last event card ?
I eventually got Datalink issue on May 21st and decided to launch operation Sutton nonetheless (passing from sitrep16 to Sutton). Will I ever get a chance to repair again ?

Event Cards are played before the Operation Sutton marker is placed. So you would get that final card drawn on the day you launch your ground offensive.. Event cards still on board after Operation Sutton begins can be removed if your meet the conditions.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Moores
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HMS Coventry 11 May 1982
"Life on the ocean wave.... Rule Britannia.. Britannia rules the waves"
WHOOOOSH!!!! KERLLANG!!!! OOPS! GLUG GLUG GLUG.
Was having a good first game untill I discovered the difference between 1d12 and d12. Also I forgot about the Naval attack resolution chart. I have just restarted what will be a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quin wrote:
Quote:

Event Cards are played before the Operation Sutton marker is placed. So you would get that final card drawn on the day you launch your ground offensive.. Event cards still on board after Operation Sutton begins can be removed if your meet the conditions.

Eric

Yeap but the resolution of the event Datalink is to go back to previous SitRep situation which is not possible once you move to Operation Sutton sitrep in my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lugbar wrote:
Quin wrote:
Quote:

Eric

Yeap but the resolution of the event Datalink is to go back to previous SitRep situation which is not possible once you move to Operation Sutton sitrep in my understanding.

Since you draw the Event Card before the SitRep card then the situation you describe is not a possibility.

So, once you are at SitRep 16 (the one previous to the final SitRep card, "Operation Sutton"), then on the turn you may *want* to proceed to the "Operation Sutton" SitRep card, you first have to draw for an Event Card. If this Event Card ends up forcing you back a SitRep card, then you are still at SitRep 16 and haven't gotten to Operation Sutton yet. So you follow the directions of the Event Card and may end up back on SitRep 15 with no option of going back to SitRep 16 that turn - much less of commencing Operation Sutton...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Betrand,

I see the dilema, but Matt is right.

As the Event Card is played before you turn to Sit. Rep. 16, you have the choice of opting for the withdrawl, (and delaying the landings), or going ahead with the landings, but in the knowledge that you're stuck with the Datalink down for the final week of the conflict.

The burdens of leadership...

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I effectively left the Datalink out and launched the landings.

Fighting to consolidate foothold on the Flaklands was going pretty well to the exception of the Welsh Guard expelled from Poker Point by the 8th Argentinian Infantry. 7 Regiments were on land, even if 3 lacked their heavy equipment. Argentinian supply was almost spent.

Unfortunetly the San Carlos Bay proved a real killer and Mirage and Daggers scored heavy.

They shot down 2 Sea Harriers and sunk 3 Frigates, which was too much for the British opinion. Margaret Thatcher resigned on May 25th.
Mr Pim asked for a cease fire and told the Argentinian that if if the US sponsored the negotiations, they were willing to consider Argentinian claims over the Malvinas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan,
In my response I wasn't even thinking of the data link event card - I was thinking of the event cards that effectively push you back a sit rep card.

However, now that you mention it, is there not a chance of "resolving" face up and "in play" event cards that are currently affecting you negatively after the Operation Sutton starts? You made an interesting point that I didn't even think about and I wanted to make sure I understood you properly.

I guess that's cool - after all, once you commit to the landings you (as the task force leader) probably have more than you already need to contend with without having to deal with those previous events. It does also give an extra interesting wrangle to the game decision points - either delay the landings but potentially face further delays from a devastating new event card, or proceed with the landings without resolving one or more of your current events first and therefore just having to manage the situation as best you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.