Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe only one Evasive Maneuvers can be played per roll of the dice (against Vipers).

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did misread the question. My answer is still no. Indeed on account that one EM may be played per when a viper gets hit. No more.

DCAnderson wrote:
As near as I can tell, you can play multiple Evasive Maneuvers for a single attack.

If the Viper is piloted, you subtract 2 from the reroll. If you play multiples on an attack against a piloted Viper, would the penalty be cumulative? (ie -2, -4, -6, etc.)

It says "... subtract 2 from the new roll."

Could've gone either either way, but I as well as those in my circle play it as subtract 2 from what you see on the die.

e.g.
1st roll: 8
EM --> 2nd roll: 8 on the die which is actually 6
EM --> 3rd roll: 8 again on the die, which is actually 6
etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Eckels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I agree that it seems like it should based on Helo carrying Strategic Planning over. In fact, it was an argument I had against Strategic Planning applying to Helo's reroll (pre-FAQ entry). In my group we say that it multiple EM don't stack the -2. The reason is it just gets stupid quickly if they do. The rules justification I use is that the -2 is to the "new roll" and hence affects what the die says. Strategic Planning adds +2 to the "result" and hence is done after the die roll has been accepted. I do realize this is just making phony arguments for what I feel the rules should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
I think my math is right.

Odds of getting hit and needing to use your Evasive Maneuvers: 50%

Odds of getting hit and having Evasive Maneuvers fail to save you the first time: .5 * .25 = 12.5%

Odds of getting hit, having the first Evasive Maneuvers fail, and then having a second evasive maneuvers fail (when they don't stack): .5 * .25 * .25 = 3.125%

Odds of getting hit, having the first Evasive Maneuvers fail, and then having a second evasive maneuvers fail (when they stack): .5 * .25 * 0 = 0%

It will only ever matter about three out of every hundred times a manned viper is fired at and 2 evasive maneuvers are available. The affect of stacking is changed even more if there are other raiders waiting to activate, lowering the survival chance of the EMed viper below 3.125% even if you don't let it stack.

Personally, I say stick with a single rule for all instances. The impact is so minor that it's rarely going to come up, and you avoid the risk of confusing new players with similar situations that work differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivica Baraba
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

Sorry, I am still not 100% clear about this. We had the situation that Starbuck was attacked by a Raider. She got damaged and used the EM card once, then a second time and she always got damaged...then another player, Boomer, used an EM card. So two different players used 3 EM cards in total.

Is that o.k. or is there any limit? When playing these EM cards we always counted 2 to the roll die, I mean we did not sum these cards up, 3 x 2.

My question is:

1. How many EM cards is a player able to play?
2. Can other players help out and play one or more EM cards, one after the other, as long as the Viper gets damaged?

thanx, ivica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One EM card can be played by any human player to re-roll the results of a raider attack. When the die is re-rolled another EM can be played.

Example:

Starbuck is attacked by two raiders.
Raider #1 rolls 6 to damage the viper. Starbuck plays EM
Raider #1 rolls 8 - 2 = 6 and damages the viper again. Apollo then plays an EM card on the second roll
Raider #1 rolls 4 - 2 = 2 no damage
Raider #2 rolls 7 to damage the viper. Helo plays an EM card.
Raider #2 rolls 5 - 3 = 2 no damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivica Baraba
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Todd!

Thank you very much for your quick response. I think I got it now. In your example Starbuck would not be able to play another EM instead of Apollo as she already has played one before. But any other player who wants to help her out can play one EM and just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Torian wrote:
Hi Todd!

Thank you very much for your quick response. I think I got it now. In your example Starbuck would not be able to play another EM instead of Apollo as she already has played one before. But any other player who wants to help her out can play one EM and just one.

No, Starbuck could play a second EM card on the first raider attack instead of Apollo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivica Baraba
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oh, o.k., so there actually is no limit to the number of EM cards any player may play. If he e.g. has four and needs four die rolls in order to not get damage he can play four times an EM card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Torian wrote:
oh, o.k., so there actually is no limit to the number of EM cards any player may play. If he e.g. has four and needs four die rolls in order to not get damage he can play four times an EM card?

Yes, that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.