Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Princes of Machu Pichu

Played at Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia
Slightly Above Sea Level

Da Pyrate (Black), Rock (Gold), Big Steve (Red) & Little Steve (Green).

It was the first time any of us had played The Princes of Machu Pichu – although we had played other Mac Gerdts designs (Antike, Imperium and Hambulgum).

The early stages of the game saw went quickly as we had only a small number of resources – as the game progressed and we had more resources there were many more opportunities to perform actions during the game and consequently turns took longer. All up the game took a little over two hours, but it didn’t feel that long as we were all involved in the action throughout the game.

From the start I concentrated on growing corn – it seemed to me that as corn didn’t cost anything to grow (compared to all the other resources where you have to pay 1 corn to produce a good) and as it could be used to purchase other commodities in the market it was a good way to go. Secondly I concentrated on lamas, as they are needed to make sacrifice to the gods. Red concentrated on cloth as he thought it would be useful to pick up priests and virgins and they are needed to make quick progress up the Inca Trail. Gold and Green seemed to both adopt policies of diversity.

Gold and Green were the first to pick up priests – both going for Puma. I decided to go for the Condor and not compete with Gold and Green. Red started going for virgins.

It seemed a little strange how points are achieved by gaining sacrifice cards – it took us a little while to discover that you really don’t know what is going to give you points until you start picking up cards. By the end of the game I had only three cards but scored well as I had two corn icons and five workers in the cornfield – I also had two condor icons to go with my three priests. Gold and Red each had four cards. Green actually had five cards but the icons were really mixed and he only scored single points for his priests and workers. It was only afterwards that we realized that when you pick up three cards and have to discard two, you can discard from what you already have in your hand (we are so used to Ticket to Ride we were assuming that you just add a card to what you already have).

Scores
Da Pyrate – 18
Big Steve – 15
Rock – 14
Little Steve - 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So was the game ended by the Spaniards or did you run out of priests and virgins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There wasn't a Spaniard in sight - we ran out of priests and virgins with two game days left to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Lockwood
Australia
Blacktown
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
....I've heard that said about Port Macquarie before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
[COLOR=#336666][b]
you really don’t know what is going to give you points until you start picking up cards.

As players already own 1 card at the start of the game, one should have a clou where to gain points right from the beginning. The first card you hold in hand offers a good hint as to where to place the first workers in town!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MacGerdts wrote:
da pyrate wrote:
[COLOR=#336666][b]
you really don’t know what is going to give you points until you start picking up cards.

As players already own 1 card at the start of the game, one should have a clou where to gain points right from the beginning. The first card you hold in hand offers a good hint as to where to place the first workers in town!

We missed that in the rules - thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.