Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Braun
United States
Pawtucket
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the strangest, weirdest, most absurd exception or contradiction you've ever seen in a rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You mean like "the Horse is not a horse"?
(In the upcoming Agricola expansion, there will be a new type of animal: the horse. However, there was a card in the basic game called "Horse" that is a Minor Improvement and thus has nothing to do with the animals you may have in your farm, like sheep, cattle or the upcoming horses. If it was published today, they'd call it Stallion or something like that, but since it is not possible, they had to write the quoted clarification...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush! Is a solitaire wargame. It has these cool D10s which you roll to determine the outcome of an attack. There are all sorts of modifiers which may apply to your dice roll, such as the weapon skill of the soldier firing, his stance, the terrain etc. Most of these modifiers are negative values. This makes sense to me since most of the modifiers are due to things which should reduce the likelihood of the success of your attack. The lower the value you get after modification is applied, the less likely you will succeed.

The concept of negative numbers does not seem like it should be difficult for anyone who can handle the rules to a wargame such as Ambush! But I was taken aback by section 9/1.4 which tells me "Subtract the final modifier from the Basic Hit Chance to determine the final Hit Chance." Say WOT? If I subtract a negative value, the result is greater not less. Sometimes the final modifier is positive instead of negative, for something which should improve your chances of hitting the target. But if I subtract in that case, again the final hit chance gets modified the wrong way. Obviously, the final modifier, whether positive or negative, should be added to the basic hit chance, not subtracted.

What really threw me for a loop was, when I pointed this obvious mistake out to someone who maintains an errata page for the game, the response was essentially "I suppose you're right but we never had any problem understanding it" and the errata page was not updated. I'm not trying to denigrate the admin of that site, who has done and continues to do an excellent job. I just don't know how to respond to this. It's like "Pods? what pods? I don't see a pod." Does no one care about math any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Worth
msg tools
mb
I just bought Ambush! and started playing it. I had the same confusion with this rule, and was surprised that none of the errata I saw addressed this. The example given in the rules contradicts the rule that is printed.
When working out my very first combat with a German soldier, I realized that if the target was standing he was easier to hit than if he were prone. I had to stop and do some research to find the correct way to work out the fire procedure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.