27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: recommendation please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Salem Rothchild
msg tools
like DOA, Agricola,carcasonne, puerto rico, entdecker, settlers. want a fun game that i can play with my girlfriend- good play with just 2 people. suggestions, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Le Havre even better than Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salem Rothchild
msg tools
Thanks. I checked it out and it looks pretty nice, pretty much exactly like Agricola, right? would it be worthwhile to have both games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo
Biblios
Court of the Medici
Reef Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife & I enjoy On the Underground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may like Goa.

Scales very well from 2 to 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome and Race for the Galaxy are nice, and don't take too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Californiaguy wrote:
Thanks. I checked it out and it looks pretty nice, pretty much exactly like Agricola, right? would it be worthwhile to have both games?

Somewhat similar, but no more so than Puerto Rico really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife enjoyed Dominion and Catan Card Game, although she may have just been humoring me. Catan Card Game is quite a bit different from Catan, so I do not see it as a redundant purchase.

My son definitely liked Dominion as a 2-player.

My daugter loves Mr. Jack as a 2-player, although it is not anything like the other games that you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a little heavier than what you listed. But Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is an excellent two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Californiaguy wrote:

Somewhat similar, but no more so than Puerto Rico really.

I too had avoided Le Havre because I already own Agricola. After hearing it described as the love child of Agricola and Caylus but better, I broke down and got it. Was. Not. Disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Some questions to narrow the field:

How heavy a game?
What duration?
Is theme important?
Finally: are there any themes or mechanisms you (either of you) don't like?

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salem Rothchild
msg tools
So some detail: I'm looking in the range of 1 to 3 hours. Theme is not necessarily very important, am avoiding the whole demon theme. I was thinking medium or light heaviness, something a bit lighter than Descent or Twilight Struggle. The goal here is something that takes some strategy but allows for chatting, something not so terribly focused. I hate to say it but I guess I'm looking for a "pretty" game- all the cool picture characters of DOA, the animals you can buy for Agricola, the tile and huts of Entdecker- something that looks as good as it plays. That's not a necessity but it's the kind of game I think I gravitate to. Thanks, everyone, for the feedback so far.Someone mentioned Through the Ages. I'd looked at it last year, and didn't get it. Should I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre is very attractive, and is sufficiently different from Agricola to be worth it.

Another game that's attractive and plays well with two is Blue Moon City. It plays much shorter and doesn't create quite the squeeze that Le Havre does. (You know the feeling from Agricola- You want to do 5 things and you have 2 actions. Le Havre is like that, BMC is not.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schachtelhalm
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg
Lost Cities
The Rose King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is one of our fave's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Californiaguy wrote:

1 to 3 hours...
Theme is not necessarily very important...
Medium or light heaviness...some strategy but allows for chatting...
A "pretty" game...

Someone mentioned Through the Ages. I'd looked at it last year, and didn't get it. Should I?

OK. Reef Encounter, Small World and Le Havre all fit the bill, and the two of you can include additional players when the opportunity arises.

Blue Moon, Jambo and Saint Petersburg are good choices too. Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries works with 2. Goa is excellent, but maybe not so "pretty" (I'm colourblind, so don't ask me!).

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is possibly a bit heavy - I'm not sure you'll get finished if you start chatting; you need to think through your moves. It's a good game though, and in fairness, Le Havre, Goa and Reef Encounter are not exactly "light".

Good luck - I hope whatever you get turns out to be a hit

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Dove
United States
Easton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stone AgeMy girlfriend loves Stone Age, and it plays well with two three or four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colosseum is an absolutely gorgeous game of medium complexity and very social, as there is both trading and auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Colosseum is an absolutely gorgeous game of medium complexity and very social, as there is both trading and auctions.

but it's not two player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trippercook wrote:
Mr_Bickman wrote:

but it's not two player.

Ah. Forgot about that part. Sorry... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two more votes for Jambo, Stone Age, and Lost Cities. My girlfriend loves these games. Stone Age is the meatiest of this bunch, and all three can be considered "pretty." While it may be better with more players (or not?), she and I also really like playing Pandemic.

And you may want to consider San Juan, which is pretty, about 1 hour of play time, and is of moderate heaviness.

My $0.02...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba
Before the Wind
Arkadia
Jambo
Catan Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Californiaguy wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback so far.Someone mentioned Through the Ages. I'd looked at it last year, and didn't get it. Should I?

Yes. The reprint is coming out to retailers next month. I'm getting it and so should you. It's the activity you and your girl can do together that's enjoyable in place of another activity, such as going to the movies. It's not the game that your girlfriend will play for 30 minutes each night just to play a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.