Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Puopolo
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never played Capitol but having just read the rules for both Capitol and Skyline 3000 i noticed that they have introduced a new rule into Skyline 3000 in the form of Billboards. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has played Capitol as to what differences they think this will make to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is that it would rob much of the tension from the game. Getting into a particular section of the game can be very important, even game defining. Being able to reserve a key spot seems to be worth more than -2 points. Seems to be too strong of a catch up mechanism.

The good news is that if it softens the game too much it's easy to get rid of.

I'd be interested in hearing the results of your play test, Drew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Puopolo
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem to me that the Billboards would still add tension to the game as they add points to an area in the same way as the Greenspaces/Fountains do. Thus reserving a space in order to build there in a later turn not only robs you of points, but can potentially give points to your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BlackDragon1200 wrote:
It would seem to me that the Billboards would still add tension to the game as they add points to an area in the same way as the Greenspaces/Fountains do. Thus reserving a space in order to build there in a later turn not only robs you of points, but can potentially give points to your opponents.

True, but with judicious use of billboards, you can also close up an area such that other players will not get to play in that neighborhood, and also get bonus points for yourself so long as you have the highest building in that area. In our game of Skyline 3000, I took a whole area along with another player, I had a 1-story and 3-story building, and he had one 2-story building. We both put down billboards in the neighborhood, and the other spaces were taken up with parks. He wouldn't put a building on his billboard space because then I could have overbuilt on my space, and same for me, but we both coasted through the game gaining points off that neighborhood to the exclusion of the other two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another difference between Skyline 3000 & Capitol according to Mark at:
Re: Billboards (variant that's main part of Skyline 3000)
Runkst wrote:
Keep in mind that the Skyline 3000 board is slightly larger than the Capitol board (presumably to balance the billboards). Basically each region has an extra empty spot except for the large white region which has an extra park spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.