Subject: My rules of thumb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing Junta I use the following rules of thumb in my decision making.

1) Choosing a president
* Don't pick a player who appears to be winning.
* Don't pick someone with enough influence to push through budgets.
* Do pick someone who is likely to give you a general and money for a few turns.

2) Passing budgets as non-president
* If you have money you want to get to the bank you don't want a coup
* If the president has amassed a tidy sum to put in the bank you want a coup but not an "out to lunch" result, unless you also have a tidy sum to sock away.
* If your not getting anything you want to push for a coup excuse, but don't start a coup.

3) Seizing the chamber
* If there is something in it for you in the budget then do this, you will have a good chance of getting money into the bank.
* Otherwise let the bank be closed and go gunning for the president to get his cash.

4) Assassinations
* Don't just go after money, consider taking out players with too much influence.
* Target the Minister to get a chance of reaping the reward of the Minister's assassin.

5) During a coup
* Concentrate on capturing one objective for yourself to gain some power as the end of the coup.
* If the rebels have very little money then stay a loyalist, especially if you have money or influence, otherwise you may join the firing squad later.

They are some points just off the top of my head. Anyone want to add some more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MYOB MYOB
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note on #2 and #3...

The Minister usually wants the budget to fail so he can force it. If the police can group in the Chamber of Deputies, they can be an effective tool should a coup go down.

And I disagree with you about letting the Presidente hold all the money if the budget doesn't pass and you're not invited. First off, El Presidente can hand off cash as he pleases if the budget fails; second, you really don't want to have all that cash for yourself at once unless you have an ironclad plan to get to the First National Bank of Carnage without going down for the count; third, as above, if El Presidente is couped, you want the policia grouped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.