Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a dark night. Full of dark things.

Like darkness and shadows of things that aren't normally dark. OK ok...I'm no wordsmith - heck, for all the vocabulary I've picked up over many years of reading, I am not even really a wordsmith apprentice.

Instead...I am what I call an Original Speller. One who married a scrabble junky and otherwise rocking wife though.

With that in mind our good friend Doug loaned me his copy of Unspeakable Words and asked if we would give it a go before our normal boardgames night.

There were six of us: Troy, Mat, Rich, Adam, my wife Erica, and myself - all fans of the Elder Gods and Lovecraft lore. We were bracing ourselves for a rousing game of Shogun and I tossed this game out and started dealing folks in.

The game passed very quickly - a feature I consider key for 'before things start' type games - and it is also fairly light in regards to the heavy thinking of what you have to do.

I had the 'task' of keeping track of the words that were used - as the game has the interesting mechanic that any word can only be used by ANYONE once and only once.

Some of us went for large, high point words - and quickly learned that it will drive you insane! For those that might not know - you take your word score and have to roll a d20 and meet or exceed the value of your word you made - with the goal to be the first to 100!

Those of us who 'went big' as I said...were the first to fall - with Erica, Troy, and Rich hanging in there and opting for smaller scoring words.

Troy was taken down by the optional rule of being able to make ANYTHING a word [still with a three letter minimum] when you have only on sanity point left - and bet on the remaining ten points he needed to win giving a fair chance of making it!

WRONG

This left the scrabble mistress and Rich - a true word smith - and with much 'scrabbling about' - and both down to only 1 sanity point - Erica pulled in for the victory!

I am, by no means, a man who really 'enjoys' word games as I said - but this is just FUN.

It does not matter if you are a serious scrabble person, someone who knows a handful of words and usually grunts, or your average person walking around with words bumping in your head - you will enjoy this game as an appetizer for others. I don't feel it has enough to make it the focus of an evening - but we all enjoyed it enough that it was the first game that kicked off Troycon IV this year only two days later!

Give it a try - you won't regret it! [Mainly because dribbling, insane folks don't usually have regrets about games they played]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.