Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a music therapy graduate student at Illinois State, and I'm currently taking a course on current trends and issues in special education. As the only MT major in the class, I did a presentation tonight on music therapy and its role in special ed. Along with the songs and musical activities I did, I also got a chance to include a modified game of Wits & Wagers. I inserted it in the middle of the presentation to bridge the gap between my discussion of related services and music therapy.

Here's how I did it:

d10-1 There were coincidentally 14 people in the class, so I split them up into 7 teams of 2, and gave each team a letter (A-G).

d10-2 I asked three music therapy related questions in a row, not stopping to score each one (I needed to keep things moving). The questions were:

*In what year was the National Association of Music Therapy established? (1950)
*How many official scholarly journals in music therapy are currently published in the US? (2)
*How many universities in the US currently offer music therapy degree programs? (71)

d10-3 Once everyone had come up with their answers, I went through each question one at a time and did the scoring. As in the game, I arranged the answers low to high, but instead of giving a 2:1 or 3:1 type payout, I gave each place a number of points - 5 for all answers too high, 4 for lowest, then 3-2-1 for the middle, then 2-3-4 for the highest.

d10-4 Each team then got one chance to vote for one of the answers. If they were correct, they got the points. The team that gave the closest answer also got one point.

d10-5 At the end of each scoring, I gave some more information about the answer.

d10-6 I had a tiebreaker question ready to go, but the winning team had 9 points, and second had 5. They won a pack of Starburst.

d10-7 Once the game was over, I proceeded with my presentation.

I was excited to be able to use the game, and as I was coming to post the experience, I saw the previous post about using Wits & Wagers in the classroom, and was glad to see more people using it in an educational setting. I found that it helped me take some facts that would ordinarily just go in one ear and out the other, and made it fun. There was discussion as they tried to figure out the answers, and there was excitement as I revealed the answers. I felt like my extra information was really appreciated, and I also thought the second half of the presentation went better than the first - I don't know if I was looser, or if the class was, or if I just knew the material better, but I'll give some credit to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
... but I'll give some credit to the game.

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.