Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked for a while to find out how to make a even sided Hex on "Paint", but finally got it right,

This is pretty explanatory, any questions?
Seth
Edit: Changed picture to proper steps
Edit2: Could also draw w/ ruler using these steps :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. But on Step 2, where you say draw 45 degree lines of "same length"... same length as what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, one question: why bother, really?

I guess it can be seen as an interesting problem solving exercise, perhaps.

Edit: Oh, and this link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:
Nice. But on Step 2, where you say draw 45 degree lines of "same length"... same length as what?

Each other, doesn't matter how long (I'm pretty sure, as long as they are 45 degrees (completely diagonal).

Sorry, never used inkscape, but I know that almost everyone on this site has Paint (comes with most computers), and it seemed easy enough to me (and yes it was a fun problem solving exercise :) )
Sethmo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use Vassal's module builder to make a hex grid, export it, and then paint it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Or use DrawHexGrid at http://cryhavocgames.net/Tutorials_Utilities.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused, people are making maps in paint? It doesn't even have layers, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People... just go to

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/trianglehex.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c m
United States
ann arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there's mkhexgrid for the command-line aficionado: http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
I'm confused, people are making maps in paint? It doesn't even have layers, right?

The program "Microsoft Paint", I think it comes w/ all Windows based Computers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
spearjr wrote:

Yes and??? You didn't answer either of my questions. I'll try again...

Why would anyone use MS Paint to make any game graphics? It doesn't have layers, it is like using a rock to try and build a house. Yes, everyone (mostly) has access to it, but it is totally the wrong tool for the job.

I don't want to discourage you Seth, posting helpful instructions is great, but we're trying to say that there are many other tools to make maps for gaming. Spending a little time to learn these other tools and you'll save tons of time and headache later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Squat
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Why would anyone use MS Paint to make any game graphics?

I've used it. I don't do graphic design work often enough or seriously enough to justify purchasing software. And I've been satisfied with the results I've been able to get from Paint, as unsophisticated as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Squat wrote:
spearjr wrote:

I've used it. I don't do graphic design work often enough or seriously enough to justify purchasing software. And I've been satisfied with the results I've been able to get from Paint, as unsophisticated as it is.

If you like Paint and want layers you might want to check out Paint.Net. It is the Paint program with a boost in feature set. You can leverage your familiarity wsith Paint to ease your learning curve into some more advanced graphics manipulation techniques. It was originally designed to replace Paint in Windows, but for whatever reason that never came to pass. The great thing is that it is free and regularly updated.

http://www.paint.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Squat wrote:
spearjr wrote:

All the options listed above are free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Jack Squat wrote:
spearjr wrote:

Money-wise perhaps The "payment" is in time invested to learn how to use them Inkscape works great, but when I first used it it took me awhile to figure out how to get it to do what I wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Squat
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Jack Squat wrote:
spearjr wrote:

Now you're talking! In that case I'll check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
spearjr wrote:
Jack Squat wrote:
spearjr wrote:

Money-wise perhaps The "payment" is in time invested to learn how to use them Inkscape works great, but when I first used it it took me awhile to figure out how to get it to do what I wanted.
I will definitely agree with you there. I spent a few hours a night for a week or so watching tutorial videos and testing the ideas on in inkscape to get myself familiar with the program. There is a learning curve. But this is true with any powerful software, no one is an expert right out the gate. As it is, I still need to go back and read documentation and spend time to learn how to use pelni's counter generator inkscape addon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative to hexes, you can make rectangles. If you offset each row by half a rectangle, you'll end up with the same net effect.

Each rectangle will border exactly six other rectangles. Not sure that's clear. Hopefully the sample image below shows what I mean.. off course, it may be just as bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Sethy295 wrote:
spearjr wrote:

Yes and??? You didn't answer either of my questions. I'll try again...

Sorry, misunderstood your question ;)
thought you meant using actual paint, and I dont even know what layers are :D
Sethmo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
tc237 wrote:
I've always used a circle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagon

That is very neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Bug
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I draw a straight horizontal line, select it and image>scretch/skew>Skew vertical 60 deg.

Then you can copy and paste it, image>flip/rotate>flip horizontal to get 60 degrees the other direction.

Stick a couple of these lines together and it's quite easy to create a hexagon.

Of course I would much rather use Adobe Illustrator to make something like
this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/32773
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
I worked for a while to find out how to make a even sided Hex on "Paint", but finally got it right,

This is pretty explanatory, any questions?
Seth
Edit: Changed picture to proper steps
Edit2: Could also draw w/ ruler using these steps :)

The math is a little wrong, mainly in the proportions of the inner rectangle. If you were to rotate that drawing 30 degrees, you'd see that it's a little lopsided.

The problem is that the height of a hexagon is proportional to its edge length (and thus to its width) by a factor of the square root of 3 (an irrational number), and thus never quite evenly divisible. A hexagon's height, proportional to the length of one edge, is approximately 1.732:1, and the proportion of height to width is approximately .866:1.

The circle method is the best way I know of to make perfect hexes, because of the geometric construction outlined above. To make a grid, simply continue drawing circles.

To generate them in a computer algorithmically, use the following rules.
- Take any arbitrary point (x,y). This is the center of the first hex.
- Draw points at the following locations:
1. (x+s, y)
2. (x+.5s, y+(sqrt(3)*s/2))
3. (x-.5s, y+(sqrt(3)*s/2))
4. (x-s, y)
5. (x-.5s, y-(sqrt(3)*s/2))
6. (x+.5s, y-(sqrt(3)*s/2))
- draw lines between the points in order (also connecting 6 to 1)
- Repeat the above steps for new base points at:
1. (x+1.5s, y+sqrt(3)*s/2)
2. (x, y+sqrt(3)*s)
3. (x-1.5s, y+sqrt(3)*s/2)
4. (x-1.5s, y-sqrt(3)*s/2)
5. (x, y-sqrt(3)*s)
6. (x+1.5s, y-sqrt(3)*s/2)
- Stop when no x or y of a point is within the bounds of the drawing area (page, screen, etc)
- You can avoid duplicate drawing by simply adding endpoints of lines to a list of lines to be drawn, and checking to ensure that a line being generated doesn't already exist in the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely right about it being easier, I know the drawing is uneven,it was how i did it so you could see that the height = 3/4 of the length, but yeah...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

The "time" investment in learning a "better" art tool is theoretically gained by being able to output the same artwork at a faster pace.

Its like the "teach a man how to fish" sorta thing.

Seth,

I'm curious as to how long does it take you to make say, a full page hex grid in MS Paint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carlton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirkgent001 wrote:
I'm curious as to how long does it take you to make say, a full page hex grid in MS Paint?

I'm more curious how many people he bludgeoned to death with a keyboard in frustration with only one undo, no layers, no pen tool, no cut and paste with transperancy etc. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.