StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone have an opinion on the card holders?

They came in Imperial Rome and the Epic II expansions.

I am not sure how much they'll get used... I am thinking it may have been better to leave them out and reduce the weight and cost of the game, or, give us more blocks or a mounted board (at least in the Epic II box).

I have yet to game with them (that's why the jury is still out) but feel the wood could have been better utilized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so my curiosity got the better of me... I played Milvian Bridge - 312AD tonight (the only scenario pitting red against purple)... played solo...

I used my C&C:A Arts Cow deck and the new card holders...

Jury's verdict...
The holders actually came in handy... although only one holder is not conducive to a 5+ card hand. I found two holders were needed per side. I can't imagine why they stuck only two in the Epic II box. GMT should have supplied maybe 6-8 of them in Epic II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting on mine. ...But are the card holders the length of the box or the width? The photo I saw of one makes 'em look kinda short. If the holders were the length of the box, that should be sufficient for most hand sizes.

An owner with both new expansions should have four holders. Then maybe they put a strip of tape on the bottom to join the two, to form a hinge. Then they could fold it down into the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brady
I got mine a few days ago, actually Monday. Card holders were better than I thought but they are short, about the length of a dollar bill, maybe a little longer. They are nice and heavy for their size but I already had some bigger holders that hold up to 20 cards per person anyway. But these would work fine for small hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

They'll also make great missiles for throwing at your opponent if they gloat over a win...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Arena
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely LOVE the card holders.

Mine are going to get a lot of use - I actually plan on using them tomorrow for my Friday night Combat Commander sessions with my regular opponent.

I'll get his opinion on them after we play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My first game: BASKETmind, a 5-on-5 basketball match
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not Exp#4 yet, but I had expected card holders with the box length (about 29cm)... In the meantime, I have made ones from metal rails cut at 29cm:

Very easy and heavy enough...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job... You didn't have any bronze laying around?

(The period is also considered the Bronze Age)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My first game: BASKETmind, a 5-on-5 basketball match
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have Exp#4, I have used the card holders and they work fine. Even with a hand of 6, overlapping the cards a bit they all fit. Well, now I have the choice, official wooden or home-made metal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to sell or trade all mine away. Geekmail me if anyone would like to offer me something for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
...But are the card holders the length of the box or the width?...

The card holders are the width of the inside of the box. They are a very nice sturdy wood painted black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
If you need more, bigger, better then just take a 1x1 inch or so piece of oak or poplar and put the blade on your table saw at about 30 degrees penetrating about 1/3 of the way into the wood at about dead center. Run off as much stock as you want, cut to the length you want, sand and paint and you are good to go.

I am thinking of making some out of Ebony, Zebra wood, Olive and perhaps some lignum vitae (althought it plays H*ll with my blades) so that the holders look like something in period.

And the Lignum Vitae will make the boxes smell really nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.