Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
(PS: excuse the English since it's not my first language, me being French and all...)
When I bought the first Dungeon Twister installments a few years ago, I had an immediate feeling that THIS WAS the game I had always been waiting for.
Very little randomness, fast-paced, aggressive: my tastes in a nutshell!
Then I started playing with my friends and THEY gave me doubts. Big ones too, since they quickly declared that they wouldn't play it anymore, saying it was too "chess-like" for them.
But I went on playing though, finding new "victims" for the dungeon.
And then I bought the extensions and that's when I started to grow doubts about this game. The draft version meant it was not so sublte anymore and always more random, and the huge amount of rules to be learnt (and learnt well since the slightest mistake in DT means you've lost the game...) made it somewhat too complicated for my taste.
So I stopped plating DT...
In the meantime I met my new girlfriend (that will have its importance in this review) who is a pretty good gaming partner and goes for anything from Dominion to RFTG with preferences for Neuroshima, Battlelore, Pandemic and Stone Age!
So when the new DT came out, and me having this hardcore-palying woman as a loving partner, I thought: "Why not give it a second try?"
So we bought it and... Ta taaamm!!!
One or two games a day for three weeks and we feel like we're still faaaaarrr from being bored of it.
The stand alone game is, in my opinion, much more refined than the basic DT1 game, the characters powers lead to more movement, faster interaction, and less "kill that trollism" ;) with each charater being a definite asset for the team (when put to good use) and therefore a great kill if he/she wanders too far away or too flippantly in enemy territory.
And...well... How could I put it... It's SO MUCH sexier with the minis!
Board readability is greatly enhanced by the minis: knowing what the situation is turning to is far easier than what it was with the cardboard ones (yes, I know, I could have bought the minis for DT1 but, honest, that's too much for me, I'd rather by another game come to that..) And those minis are really great detail AND style-wise!
I haven't even tried the solo play yet BECAUSE I haven't had to!
Plus my girlfriend would surely killl me or worse if she saw me training in her back.
She would call that masturbation ;)
In a word DT2 is excellent: a must have for anyone involved in "european gaming" and also for people who, just like me, wondered if the previous version didn't lack that little extra something that makes really great games.
Now it clearly has it!
Certainly one of the very best games for two players anyway.
Thanks for that Mister Boelinger (and the missus agrees ;) !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Miuccio
United States
Norristown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Re: Twenty games and the prison and still no wish to escape!
Your story about people turning their backs on the game sounds like an all too familiar one. I had a similar situation where once you beat someone, they got somewhat jaded and didnt want to play again. Unfortunately, my girlfriend isnt a gamer at all, but I might be able to get her son to play

You also have me thinking about people's reactions to two player games and game factors, such as winning and losing, learning curve, amount of luck, etc. Maybe I'll post on that.

I'm very much looking forward to the new version hitting the states and then I am really excited for the Xbox version early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Twenty games and the prison and still no wish to escape!
Time for a photo right after she clobbers ya!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Naaaay you don't want to see that that! It would make you lose your appetite really: she's a real Rocky one (and two, and three and four too, I reckon...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
I haven't even tried the solo play yet BECAUSE I haven't had to!
Plus my girlfriend would surely killl me or worse if she saw me training in her back.
She would call that masturbation
I wonder what she calls playing the game with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gowe
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
faust3672 wrote:
Your story about people turning their backs on the game sounds like an all too familiar one. I had a similar situation where once you beat someone, they got somewhat jaded and didnt want to play again. Unfortunately, my girlfriend isnt a gamer at all, but I might be able to get her son to play

You also have me thinking about people's reactions to two player games and game factors, such as winning and losing, learning curve, amount of luck, etc. Maybe I'll post on that.

I'm very much looking forward to the new version hitting the states and then I am really excited for the Xbox version early next year.

Those types of gamer's are frustrating. You have to worry that if you win, they won't want to play anymore. Pretty lame really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.