Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jin choung
United States
Glendale
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where does that come from? it confused the living f out of me when i tried dbaol and now i get that bound = player turn... but where does this terminology come from?

jin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jinchoung wrote:
where does that come from? it confused the living f out of me when i tried dbaol and now i get that bound = player turn... but where does this terminology come from?

jin

It is part of the language known among wargamers as "Barkerese".

I am not sure when or where it originated but it is a common term used in ancients wargames. The cry of "Last bound" is the normal signal of the end of a round of games at Ancients tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jin choung
United States
Glendale
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aha... as never having attended any wargaming related event, it is an alien word to me in this context.

thanks!

jin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Aguilar
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I had a hard time with was calling skirmishers "Psiloi" when they are in a non Greek army....like Tang Chinese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jin choung
United States
Glendale
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha,

I totally thought the same thing. Kinda like calling legionaires samurai or something.

I just figured since Rome took a lot of Greek culture, psiloi was adopted as a generic term and where Rome set precedent, historians (and barker) followed.

Jin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Beattie
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
A turn is what elements or groups do when they change direction. "The element turns left." It is confusing to discuss the game if you say, in your turn you turn left. Bound is a common expression in English gaming history to mean something that limits, confines, or restrains. A bound limits a players actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jin choung
United States
Glendale
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha,

maybe but can't it also be confusing when you say that you can't move forward this bound because you bounded by that units ZOC? right, the english understand bound is as in "boundary". but it's usually used in the context of space... not time or sequence though it can be.

also, you don't really say "turn" for this game right? it's "wheel"? so there wouldn't be a conflict - "this turn, i'm gonna wheel these guys over yonder".

jin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here at least, a "wheel" is specifically a turn by a group about a front corner. A turn by a single element (about the only other sort allowed in DBA) would not be described as a "wheel".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently tackled the DBMM rules with a view to giving it a go (remembering quite a few fun games of DBA years ago). In my opinion, I have never seen a rulebook so badly written, and there's some pretty stiff competition!!

I hope that the DBA rules make more sense, despite use of archaic Greek terminology and bounds (instead of rounds or turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DBA does make more sense than DBMM but even so there is an online guide to explain DBA that is about four times as long as the rules themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like "Barkerese," the mysterious dialect of the DBA rules. It's quirky, but clear in it's own way. They're not badly written, they're just really eccentric. The guide is four times as long to say the same stuff exactly because the rules are written so densely. It's a beautiful thing in a way.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.