Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you buy games from small publishers or less known game designers you like, without really knowing for sure how well their new game is, just to support them?
I try to do it but limited funds prevent me from doing it more often, and I guess this problem (lack of money) is a relative common problem. So how many of you actually buy for support?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'd say that anyone could be doing this through the "Geek Gold" auction process, to where another can then offer to purchase such in exchange for an amount SET out on whichever is specified! Either that, or have this once again proffered for bag and then turn around and BID on $$$ auctions to recoup actual monetary recompense from it all. Maybe even place some onto a separate LIST to obtain $$$ solicitations with that procedure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games from big companies you can play all over the place, and mostly are not as innovative (because of mainstream marketing process) as games from small publishers (this is not a rule, more an experience).

So I am tending more to buy from small publishers, because:
- more innovative
- hardly to be played, if not purchased
- supporting game designers, who are publishing their own games.

Plus, I can contact more easily the designers and offer a rules translation or a discussion about their games, which is a great input for my own game designs.

I would NOT buy a bad game with confusing rules and well known mechanismy with a boring theme just to support the small publisher. Why supporting crap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistically, *any* hobby game is from a "small publisher". And, even when you buy a mass market game that's more than Monopoly (eg. Sorry Sliders, Apples to Apples, which was originally designed by a small publisher, Say Anything), you're supporting the hobby market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I do.

I bought a great game from a small publisher and now enjoy buying all his games, some of them I find just OK, but as an inspiring game designer that I have turned into I think this is motivation for me to make better games. And the more games I have the more parts I can take for my prototypes ( something I have just recently learned ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.