United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a comment made yesterday, mentioning that they liked the 'wild' card ladybird. However, they were referring to the rainbow coloured ladybird, which is not the 'wild' ladybird but a regular coloured ladybird. I can see how the rainbow ladybird was mistaken as the 'wild' ladybird, but the 'wild' ladybird is in fact the black card with the white spotted ladybird. Here they are:

Rainbow ladybird

Wild ladybird (2 in deck)

So my question is: As the he rainbow ladybird is quite spectacular, what else could be done with it? Perhaps a set of rainbows could remove a ladybird from a plant, but also add one to another player's plant? This might only work when one desires to increase the complexity of the game.

I suspect that children are going to want to collect the rainbow ladybird over the others. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might also be an idea to use the rainbow ladybird as an 'expansion' to the base game, once players have familiarised themselves with the basic gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually more intuitive to have the rainbow one be wild, since it's got all the colors on it. The black one seems like it should have some sort of opposite/negative effect (e.g., play it on another player to add a greenfly). Of course, with games for little kids, you may want to keep any confrontational aspects minimal and/or optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:
It's actually more intuitive to have the rainbow one be wild, since it's got all the colors on it. The black one seems like it should have some sort of opposite/negative effect (e.g., play it on another player to add a greenfly). Of course, with games for little kids, you may want to keep any confrontational aspects minimal and/or optional.

I agree that the rainbow coloured ladybird is more intuitive for the wild cards. However, 4 of them would be a bit much in the deck. So, lets say I go with 2 rainbow wilds and let us assume that I leave the 2 black (old wild) cards in the deck for a possible opposite/negative effect (for more advanced players), what should I fill the remaining 2 cards with? Of course, I could simply ditch the 2 black cards (although I quite like them, and add another colour to the deck (perhaps even a black ladybird with white spots on a white background).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of possibilities that come to mind for the extra cards might be rules cards, or even greenfly tokens that could be cut out and used in place of green cubes. I'm sure there are other action cards that could be used, but I'm thinking that for the audience, it's probably better to keep it simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility would be to add two greenfly cards that would allow you to play the greenfly on another player and use the black cards as a way to block a greenfly attack.

I don't know if you've ever played Sleeping Queens, but in that game, for every card you can play against another player, there's a card that will defend against it. For my kids, one of the best parts of the game is being able to thwart an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.