Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Giersch
United States
Saukville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several games now and have never payed more for the card than the original printed cost in the corner. I think you always get one "symbol" added to any cards cost from the capital. Just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. Is it really that easy to pay for any card after a few turns of laying out weaker cards for added symbols?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to think that the loyalty cost was there to prohibit certain cards from coming into play too soon. But you are right, after a couple of rounds you should have plenty of icons on your table.
Loyalty icons come into their own when you draft a Choas or Order deck and therefore have mixed races in your hand. I just started playing this way and really enjoy the flexibility of it, even with just one base set of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, take for example the one Orc Hero that is like 6 resource, and 5 loyalty. If you didn't have four other things out, it would cost 11. I think this comes into play the most when you play a two faction deck, so if you have the orc capital, and some Chaos stuff you want to play, it will cost extra until you build up some loyalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Never knew that the capital gave loyalty, but it makes sense, because it doesn't do any other good to have one race's capital over another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
Never knew that the capital gave loyalty, but it makes sense, because it doesn't do any other good to have one race's capital over another.

Yup, there is a big fat faction symbol on the bottom. Or else the first card you paid would cost 1 more. And that would suck as quite a few cost 3 + 1 faction.
I think I read it in the instructions somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
SVan wrote:

Yup, there is a big fat faction symbol on the bottom. Or else the first card you paid would cost 1 more. And that would suck as quite a few cost 3 + 1 faction.
I think I read it in the instructions somewhere.

I just thought the symbol was for flavor. Well, mark it up to another rule that I've glossed over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
It can also make really powerful cards very difficult to play in a multi faction deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I've paid loyalty costs exactly once, in about a half dozen games. And even then, I paid a whole one resource premium. But I've been playing single faction decks from the basic set--I agree that the main reason for the loyalty costs is to make multi-faction decks more of a design/play challenge.

(Although I do like the idea of "grudge" cards, too. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the costs are really odd though. Like a card that costs 6 and 5 loyalty. I mean seriously, how often could a player get 11 resources and NOT have 5 loyalty in his Kingdom alone? Thats 8 additional cards in most cases. I guess my point is that some cards could never be paid for with resources alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And that is the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twthomas wrote:
Some of the costs are really odd though. Like a card that costs 6 and 5 loyalty. I mean seriously, how often could a player get 11 resources and NOT have 5 loyalty in his Kingdom alone? Thats 8 additional cards in most cases. I guess my point is that some cards could never be paid for with resources alone.

If you were playing a multi faction deck, lets say with the following distribution:
20 Orc Cards
30 Chaos cards
Using the Chaos Capital.

I could see you getting 11 cards out and not have 5 orcs yet. Lets just for fun play it out see how unlikely.
turn one - Playing first Opening draw, no orc cards. Turn one play 1 cheap chaos unit. Orc Loyalty at end of turn 1 = 0, Resource = 4 (Zero new cards because you played first)
Turn two - Play two chaos units (lets say one has 2 power). into your kingdom. Draw orc hero. End of turn two Loyalty = 0 Resource = 7
Turn three - Play a decent chaos from your hand into kingdom, and a cheap one somewhere else. Draw one random chaos card. Orc Loyalty = 0 Resource = 9

On the next turn you could easily be up to 11 resource production, and only have drawn 2-3 cards.

A bit too much, but just saying is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twthomas wrote:

If all you've put into your kingdom is buildings, say "Contested xxx" buildings, then you won't have any loyalty from those. If Troll Vomit wipes out all your units, you don't have any supports from your faction, and all you have are neutral buildings, you're going to have problems getting your next Hero down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.