Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

just finished my second game of TS and I love it. One thing that bugs me though are the standard rules for realignment rolls - where the phasing player can actually lose influence. I like the suggested "safe" variant much better. Anyone with me?
Poll
Do you play with standard realignment rolls or with the "safe" variant suggested at the end of the rules?
I like the standard rule
I like the "safe" variant
Other (I like one but my gaming group likes the other etc.)
      96 answers
Poll created by Anwar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a "safe" realignment variant is too safe an option. If you’re attempting realignment, you’ve already got a serious presence in the region. Even if it does swing the other way, you’re probably not in much danger anyway. Besides, there’s got to be at least some risk involved for an action that’s only costing you 1 op and that you are more than likely doing more than once in your action round. If you don’t like the result, just spend another op and try again.

Edit:
To elaborate, the risk in a coup is that you’re spending (and therefore possibly wasting) a 3-4 ops card. Realignment rolls are only 1 op, and more than likely you’re getting more than 1 of them on your action round. There’s got to be some risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the feedback, Ben!

Obviously a huge majority of voters shares your opinion. I'm quite surprised - though maybe it's just lack of experience with the game on my part. Realignment rolls weren't all the rage in my two games, even though we did play with the "safe" variant.

To elaborate why I think the safe variant is better: A +2 realignment roll is usually the best you can do (yeah, I know you could have +3 or even +4 but those are exotic circumstances). That's still quite a risk of losing influence if you get unlucky - and if you lose influence you can't just repeat the roll, your influence is gone, no matter what.

It basically make realignment rolls too "aggressive" for my taste, because you will usually only use them where you have no influence to lose - that's not very historic though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Anwar wrote:
It basically make realignment rolls too "aggressive" for my taste, because you will usually only use them where you have no influence to lose - that's not very historic though.

I suggest you haven't played enough.

Kidding aside, my primary opponent and I didn't really appreciate the power of realignments until probably past our 40th game. We use them even when we have influence to lose - no risk no reward as they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.