Popular Tags: [View All]
scott keenan
Scotland
Glasgow
South Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello

I haven't as yet purchased this game but I am on the edge of purchase after reading some of the reviews written here.

I have just one question before I rush out to my flgs. How is the replayability in this game, is there a system for creating non-scenario games? Can you make games where there are historical what-if scenarios eg Britain vs America?

Okay I realise that is more than one question, but any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Scottyk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very replayable, even just replaying the scenarios as events quickly make your plans spiral into chaos

Game comes with an excellent random scenario generator.

You could play historically allied nations against each other if you wanted (you'd need to make the scenario up yourself), as long as you picked nations that weren't sharing the same deck of cards. If you want US vs Britain for example you'd need to get the Mediterranean expansion to get the British.

I've replayed this game more than most wargames I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Dickens II
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be hard pressed to suggest any other wargrame that even comes close to the replayability of CC:E. The Random Scenario Generator is what was initially designed for the game (before the addition of scenario's) so you can pretty much use just that and never have the same game twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I can't think of any other game out there that has the amount of replayability that this game has with the RSG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
scottyk wrote:
Hello

I haven't as yet purchased this game but I am on the edge of purchase after reading some of the reviews written here.

Go over the edge! laugh

Quote:

I have just one question before I rush out to my flgs. How is the replayability in this game, is there a system for creating non-scenario games?

Hhmmm...which reviews did you read? I thought most mentioned the RSG.

ANYWAY...the Random Scenario Generator allows you to put Axis against Allies using the various nationalities. There are several steps when you "roll" a scenario but you could "intervene" at any point to make a scenario that you like.

My first many games of CC were the published scenarios. When I first tried the RSG, it was like opening the game for the first time! Awesome!

Quote:

Can you make games where there are historical what-if scenarios eg Britain vs America?

Not quite so easily. As someone else mentioned, you'd need powers that don't share decks. But there's a further complication: The game's random events, snipers, etc. are balanced between Axis and Allies. For example (this may not be the right stats but the example is valid), the Axis decks have odd random hexes while the Allied decks have Even random hexes, so that there is a balance that would be skewed somewhat for a same-side battle. But you could adapt it, I suppose.

Quote:

Okay I realise that is more than one question, but any advice would be welcome.

Other advice: Always let a Wookie win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The random scenario generator is perhaps the best way to play - it's a game in itself. However, you cannot really change "alliances" - the random hex generation system requires one "Allied" and one "Axis" deck in each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The random scenario generator still takes my breath away after 58 uses.

It VERY often creates an exciting, interesting, BUTT-PUCKERINGLY-CLOSE/BALANCED game.

"One of Us - - One of Us"

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
combat commander's replayability = f'ing huge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replayability is built into the system from the ground up in CC, given the card driven nature of the gameplay and the randomness that it provides. Throw in the ridiculously easy to use random scenario generator, and you have a package that will provide you with tons and tons of gaming goodness! Ok, that last bit sounds like and advertising pitch, but in all honesty, you won't find another game that can beat CC in terms of replayability. Get it NOW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to echo everyone else's opinions Scott:
- The official scenarios are very replayable because they are interesting situations which virtually demand you have another go, whether it be on the same or opposite side.
- With the RSG you could play a different game every day for years.
So replayability is a big feature of Combat Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott keenan
Scotland
Glasgow
South Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well thanks for the great replies guys, I have to say you have made quite a persuasive argument.

Okay I will go over the edge, as soon as my pay comes through, damn this recession!

I will put up a few of my thoughts when I get it through.

Again
Thanks
Scottyk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to quantify the replayability in my review. Here's and Excerpt:
Quote:
Random Scenario Generator

Initial: Good
Current: Very Good

I didn't appreciate the RSG as much when i first opened the game. Not knowing too much about how it played out, i couldn't understand what all the choices in the RSG meant.

Now I know.

This is simply one of the strongest parts of this game. Playing scenario X over and over again, you'll likely find a winning strategy after a while. Set up on this side of the map and use thse forces in this cover to provide base of fire, rinse, repeat. That could get old.

The fact that you can potentially play as attacker or defender from each of the 4 map edges on 12 different maps (24 with med, more with the BPs) leads to 96 possible map setups (192 with med, more with the BPs)! And that's before you've even figured out which of the 2 axis or 4 allied nationalities you're playing!! Throw that in and we're at 576 possible combination (1152 incl. med) of map choice, map orientation, posture, and nationality.

Now throw in objectives that change, the 3 sizes of forces (company, detachment, platoon), the 3 types of forces (elite, line, green), and all the fortification (mines, wire, bunkers, trenches, foxholes) combinations.

We haven't even factored in which nationality, size, and type of forces you're opponent is using.

WOW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.