Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night my 8 year old son wanted to play a game. I was up for it, of course, so I asked what he wanted to play. He wanted to try something new so I brought out RTtA. I had played it a few times, but it was his first play.

I was able to explain the rules in a few minutes. We played the basic game with the following modifications: We played to 7 developments instead of 5 and we used all of the monuments.

The first few turns we discussed his rolls and options but he was soon playing by himself. He quickly expanded to 5 cities but was concerned about feeding them, so he did not further expand until late in the game. (I suggested he expand up to 7. This was the only advice I gave after the early turns and he chose not to heed it. Playing many of the turns with 2 fewer dice than I probably cost him the game.)

The game ended when my son built the last monument. He was also able to buy an extra development on his last turn.

My son ended up with Irrigation, Agriculture, Caravans, Masonry and Empire for 23 points in development and 7 bonus points for his Empire. He had 17 points in monuments and lost 3 points in disasters.

I had Irrigation, Medicine, Coinage, Caravans, and Empire for 21 points in developments and 7 bonus points. I had 28 points in monuments and also lost 3 points in disasters.

Final Scores: Me 53, Son 44

The game went over very well. It was easy to teach, quick playing, and my son could play competitively with a minimum of assistance. In fact, I doubt he will need any help in our next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valenze
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the basic game with my 7 year old daughter for the first time last weekend and she beat me by 4 points.

A proud Dad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
cedric18 wrote:
I played the basic game with my 7 year old daughter for the first time last weekend and she beat me by 4 points.

A proud Dad

It is always fun to lose to your kids when you are really trying, such as the other day when both my son and my 6 year old daughter stomped me in Pickomino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my son playing Roll Through the Ages
...well, the rolling part at least. I can't wait to share games like this with him. In the meantime, it is still so pleasurable seeing him interact with and taking interest in games. Thanks for sharing your session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching the rest of us play a few games Daughter The Younger (six) demanded to play as one of the players. She did quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fink
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 1/2 year old and I ran through this together. The first game he was determined to work mostly on buildings. After that round, he was more able to understand the value of building a bit of everything. He's even been playing it by himself (although he had to ask me to re-explain some of the discoveries).

I would say my son and I have been boardgaming in some extent since he was 4 so these things may be coming easier for him now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.