Popular Tags: Useful [+] [View All]
Brian Crawford
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice perspective. My wife summed it up perfectly after our last game. She has not read HP Lovecraft nor is really into the genre other than a good horror or zombie movie. She said that the game we just played could be made into a movie. And I think that is the way to look at Arkham Horror. When my character is collecting clue tokens sure I pick them up off the board, but my imagination tries to play out a movie of an investigator searching buildings, rooms, graveyards etc. The token is merely an abstraction of what the investigator is actually acquiring, a book an idol, a scroll etc. Or even just talking to someone and getting new information. If you let your imagination go with this game you can really get into it and feel the depth. The experience can be incredible. And I love the luck factor as it creates tension and replayablity. To me luck is as luck is in life. You can have the best plan in life but it does not always turn out the way you want it, or you have to adjust your plan because of an unexpected event. Of the games I currently play Arkham Horror is by far my favourite and can't play it enough. All I can say is I can't wait to create my next movie :).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anto Mano
msg tools
I have exactly the same pictures in my head when dealing with clue tokens. I'm pretty sure that's also what the designers had in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summary: Arkham Horror is a dildo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anto Mano
msg tools
Infer away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! You need to immerse yourself in the Mythos, the atmosphere of the HPL world and the shadow-haunted city of Arkham. You need to get into the mindset to play it right.

I'll often pause and think about what just happened, how it'd appear in a short story. (like when Jenny used "Call Ancient One" to reduce it's Doom Tokens, condemning her Lost comrade to certain Devourment...) Yeah, I skip the familiar texts sometime, the ones I run across every game (Tom 'Mountain' Murphy blah blah) but there's still plenty of encounters I've never seen, even from the Base Game.

This game system could be easily adapted to Sherlock Holmes (with Moriarty as the GOO. Instead of Gates to be Closed you could have 'Crimes' to be 'Solved'; when there's too many unsolved Crimes on the board you have to fight Moriarty) The game mechanics could work for Torchwood, or Pokemon or even Rainbow Brite (!)

But this ain't Rainbow Brite. This is Lovecraft Country you've wandered into....

Never thought about fleshing out the Clue tokens like that, but I like it.
You do realize the Clue Tokens are their for OUR protection? If we players ever read actual accounts of the awful things these Investigators discover, cleverly masked under the guise of friendly green "Clue Tokens", our own Sanity would be threatened and we'd end up gibbering and howling in strait jackets!!!

...It is the most merciful thing in the Universe that Man cannot peer past the waxen facade of the "Clue Tokens" to perceive the eldritch horrors that lurk underneath...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review!

Summed up why I love this game. I really need to play it again now. Too bad it's at home and I'm on the road at work until Thursday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oked wrote:
Think of it as a dildo

Great review! Even if kind of makes AH sound like some kind of sex LARP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brave. You pretty much summed up my thoughts about Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian C wrote:
Nice perspective. My wife summed it up perfectly after our last game..... She said that the game we just played could be made into a movie...... All I can say is I can't wait to create my next movie .

That is exactly how I thought about it too. I can see how the movie plot develops as the game goes along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

I agree with the commitment and immersion. Like a great movie - or a great RPG session - we are always amazed how fast time flies when we play Arkham Horror. Afterwards, we always discuss the "plot" and what turned the tide. I do disagree that the rules are easy - it took awhile before we played a full game without doing one thing incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d k
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
EXACTLY!!!!Man I love you,it's like you took the words out of my mouth.
This.Is.AH. all about imagination,feeling and whatever makes roleplaying such a great pass time activity in the first place =)
and of course you can't start doing anything in life without the proper soundtrack. My group sometimes,when we play Axis+Allies,we sometimes dress in costumes or whatever makes us look official or like generals or whatever,everyone knows a little bit of German,Italian,English of course and one guy Japanese.....and of course we've got the appropriate music in the background.....(usually songs like "Hell March" from the Commannd+Conquer series,always a party favorite!). When playing A.H. some steampunk/dark cabaret/circus music works for me but not for all. a couple of bottles of wine....and we're ready to investigate =)

anyway,if you look at it as just a game with weird and hard mechanics ( tottally don't agree with this btw) and don't let yourself get sucked by it,you'll never understand its magic as a game,my 0.0134027 EUR
my ever only complaint has been that I'd have liked a bit more flavor text.So far I only have the basic game though so I don't know about expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be on the back of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review with a very diffrent approach to playing the game.

I might suggest looking into FFGs other Lovecraft themed game. Cthulhu Live - a LARP (Live Action Role Play) - which is about as close as being in a movie or actually encountering some horror as one can get short of being, well, in a movie or ,er, actually having your mind twisted into a pretzel.
Though finding local meetings can be a hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

I might suggest looking into FFGs other Lovecraft themed game. Cthulhu Live - a LARP (Live Action Role Play) - Though finding local meetings can be a hassle.

Hoped Arkham H would serve as my "gateway drug" leading to Cthulhu Larp-ing... No luck so far. I've looked online for Call of C RPG gamers and LARPers, but I'm not very good at interweb searches. Any suggestions? What are the best sites for finding like-minded weirdos?

The new RPG (Trail Of C?) looks good too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this out for starters. Im in the same fix as theres no local groups.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/cthulhu_live/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Crawford
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I might suggest looking into FFGs other Lovecraft themed game. Cthulhu Live - a LARP (Live Action Role Play) - Though finding local meetings can be a hassle.

Hoped Arkham H would serve as my "gateway drug" leading to Cthulhu Larp-ing... No luck so far. I've looked online for Call of C RPG gamers and LARPers, but I'm not very good at interweb searches. Any suggestions? What are the best sites for finding like-minded weirdos?

The new RPG (Trail Of C?) looks good too...

I have listened to these guys in the past, very entertaining and they have a large number of podcasts. Their group is called Heroic Cthulhu and they have a forum at

http://heroiccthulhu.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=welcome&a...

This is a list of their podcasts.

Here is the main page
http://heroiccthulhu.proboards.com/index.cgi

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point, and I have had some decent times playing this game, But if it's all about creating the story then why not just dispense with all these fiddly rules and the thousand cardboard tokens and just play a real RPG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
UncleBuck wrote:
This should be on the back of the box.

What should be? The whole review or just the dildo line... goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx Omega and Brian, I'm gonna check those links out!

Noahboa wrote:
I see your point, and I have had some decent times playing this game, But if it's all about creating the story then why not just dispense with all these fiddly rules and the thousand cardboard tokens and just play a real RPG?

I have one Huge, Cyclopean, Nightmarish+Overwhelming, Eldritch, All-Encompassing REASON for playing a board game and not an RPG.....

i got no one to play with :-(

(my brother'll play 'Dark Tower' with me. Yes, I have a 'Dark Tower' game that still works!)

AH is as close as I can can get to an RPG solo....
(Yeah, I know there's computer RPGs out there somewhere but they're just Illuminati Brain-washing tools like the rest of the Interweb...muwahahaha)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anto Mano
msg tools
Noah, my answer to that would be that a "real RPG" is TOO much work for most people who could enjoy Arkham Horror. In my view this is "RPG light" - which is what I meant when calling this game casual. And even for real role-players, Arkham Horror can be interesting because it allows them to have an RPG-ish experience with people who wouldn't consider playing anything hardcore.

But, by saying this game should be role-played, I in no way imply that it's a substitute for a heavy-weight RPG. It's a different beast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu LARPing? In New Jersey? Check out DREAMATION (2/18-21/2010) and DEXCON (7/7-11/2010) in Morristown. We always have some Cthulhu LARPing goodness. See www.dexposure.com for the deets.

In the meantime, the guys who run those cons are running a horror event for their live roleplaying system Halloween weekend, with a special promotion for new players. If you're interested, geekmail me for more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested. Always amazed when there's ANYTHING in NJ... but what's Geekmail?

(See, I never left the 1970s-80s. All this modern Tech-Jargon sails right through my decrepit Neurons without registering in my dusty old brain)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekMail is this site's mail service. You're getting one shortly. Check the top of the window. It should tell you that you have a GeekMail. Click on that and follow your nose!

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Eklund
msg tools
Strom40 wrote:
Nice review.

I agree with the commitment and immersion. Like a great movie - or a great RPG session - we are always amazed how fast time flies when we play Arkham Horror. Afterwards, we always discuss the "plot" and what turned the tide. I do disagree that the rules are easy - it took awhile before we played a full game without doing one thing incorrectly.

Movie, story, discussions about the plot!!!
This sounds EXCACTLY what we love about Talisman, and to some extent, dungeonquest. I love games where u have the feeling of following a plot.

So if i like talisman, and i DO love dark themeĀ“s, stories and having a game to talk about when its finish.... could i like this game?
Sounds VERY intresting, GOOD review.
The coop sounds very cool to. I have actully never played a co-op boardgame before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Ohi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
YAY, a chance to play games during the DAY!! (I am cursed with morning person genes)
badge
I tweet about board gaming at @BGGgirl, about writing/illustrating at @inkyelbows.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a WONDERFUL summary of Arkham Horror, thank you! I've only played Arkham Horror once, at BGG.con, and very much enjoyed it.

I love what you said about the roleplaying aspect, and I definitely need to get more into that the next time I play, now that I'm somewhat more familiar with the rules. It's not just about closing the gates or killing monsters, as you say. It's about the storytelling.

Debbie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.