Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way to download the rules? I couldn't find it in Eagle Games' website.

For those who have both Railways of the World and also Railroad Tycoon, are the rules the same for both? or are there some differences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory --

The rules are the same, with these exceptions:

All hexes with a white dot in the center are mountain hexes, which cost $4. (Not really a change, but affects the next rule.)

All non-mountain hexes with blue in them (whether river, lake, or coastline) are water hexes, and cost $3. (Supercedes the old rules about following or crossing rivers).

You may optionally lay out the Major Line cards at the start of the game instead of shuffling them in with the other Railroad Operations cards, so that all Major Lines are available from the start of the game. (All RotW expansions to date have the MLs printed on the board, and always available.)

There are enough Rail Baron (formerly called Railroad Tycoon) cards to give every player two at the start of the game. Each player keeps one, and discards the other face-down.

Did I miss anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schramek
United States
Gridley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How is this compatible with Steam? Is it compatible? Big Question then is which one would be the one to get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not compatible with Steam.

A good comparison I heard once is that RotW is about building an empire, while (Age of) Steam is about running a startup.

The challenge in Steam is to bootstrap a profitable railroad, in the face of serious obstructive competition from your opponents. It is possible to go bankrupt and be out of the game, although that usually only happens to newbies.

The challenge in RotW is to build a large, continent-spanning railroad, also in the face of competition. But you can't go bankrupt, and the competition tends to be milder than in Steam.

If you like getting in your opponents' faces, you may prefer Steam. If you like building great empires and a game that's less of a "knife fight in a phone booth", you may prefer RotW.

There are dozens of expansions for Age of Steam; some but not all can be used successfully with Steam. There are currently two expansions for RotW, with more to come.

Personally I prefer RotW. I like the flexible economic system and the "epic" feel, and I'm not always up for the "every decision is desperately important" tension of Steam. But both are fine games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.