United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have discovered from any game produced through The Game Crafter, the initial reaction is going to be a big "ugh". With a previous experience with Hell, although a fine little game in the revised edition, the packaging is hideously bland in the fold-em-up corrugated boxes. DF:SE is the same. Each set of cards that you purchase is packaged similarly with photocopy rules and enclosed box labels you wouldn't even want to use.

But the cards themselves are super! Very nice quality, sharp printing, fine graphics, and easy to use. The plethora of downloaded images here on BGG does not do them justice. This is the positive wow.

The negative wow is the rules. What a mess. The format, layout, and writing conventions are all just fine, but finding any straightforward instructions is a hunting expedition. Poorly organized with a lot of "I think that's right" going on. Game play is an interesting and nominal twist on other combat card games of this type, but figuring it out is quite a chore. An entire rewrite is definitely in order; an errata sheet would not suffice.

I'm still working all the bugs out, and I am reluctant to comment on how it plays until I do. But, even with the rules headaches, so far I still rate the game a tentative 7 -- mainly on the cards themselves and on the unique method the designer tiers the player interaction.

There is great potential for this space combat game after a thorough weeding, and I'll update this preview asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards look great. I'm looking forward to hearing how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.