Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the past several months, since I myself picked up the gaming hobby, I've been slowly introducing my parents and family to the games I have come to love and cherish. I started family gaming nights at home, bringing up games such as Carcassonne, Small World, Ingenious, Stone Age, etc. and hoping, PRAYING that they would fall in love with some of it. Each and every time I found myself having to initiate the game play, suggesting a game and setting it up...almost forcing them in to the idea of playing. Until just the other night...it happened...

...THATS RIGHT! They requested a game themselves! How did it happen you ask? I shall tell you!

Mom was having over a work friend and her new puppy to have a play date with our Chihuahua/Daschund mix. After arriving, having dinner, playing around with the puppies and finally settling them down to sleep we were all sitting around the table, chatting and drinking. Mom gets to talking about how I have recently gotten in to board games, and that I have amassed quite a collection and that they are really "quite fun"! This sparks conversation from her friend about Monopoly and Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit, to which my my responds with "Oh Boy! You just have to try one of HIS games". As I myself was feeling a bit under the weather, she asked me to bring up Ticket to Ride so that she could teach her work friend how to play!

Needless to say, I was ecstatic that my "non-gamer" mom was now introducing "my hobby" to her friends. All went well that night, and now her friend is interested in more games! Mom won the game (which always makes her happy) and got the first hook in to a potential new gaming friend. Hopefully this will perpetuate my moms new found desire to play on her own!!!

If anyone else would like to get their family in to gaming, a list of reviews of games I introduced to my family is compiled in to a geek list of Family Focus Reviews which can be found at:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46140

Good luck to everyone, and I hope you all enjoyed my success story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Elison
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, congrats on the "missionary" work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go! My wife is currently turning the neighbour women into gamers also!

At the end we will win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.