Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I've been selling off cards for over a month now. Trying to post 3 cards/sets of cards per day and have made a nice chunk of pocket money.

Here's my question though. Price guides like this one: http://ark42.com/mtg/pricelist.php?p=2

or this one:
http://www.blackborder.com/

Indicate what a card might be worth -- but I'm not seeing it for many cards on eBay.

For example:
set of 4 Paladin en-Vec sold for 99 cents (according to price guides should have been $10)
Cataclysm: 99 cents (price guide: $3.50)
Sol Ring: $1.50 (vs $12!)
My frickin PLATEAU went for $17 (vs $35)

On the other hand, some cards go for top dollar.

Is this just the nature of the market?

Is there a better way to market these?

or will my sales get better as my rating goes up (I started as 0 and am up to a 37)?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion?

Prices are too volatile to be accurately tracked by price guides. On a site like ebay even momentary market gluts or a short-term push by buyers can crash and raise prices. There is a certain amount of value in having a more established account (and in being willing to send items overseas, that can add quite a bit to closing value) but I think the broader market is just difficult to predict for something like Magic cards beyond a several dollar range.

If you absolutely, positively want to get price X for a card, I think you're better selling on a site like CardShark, where you list items for free at whatever price you want to sell them at, and then just have to pay commission when they sell. You're free to raise or lower prices at will, and never have to take less than you're willing to without all the hassle and overhead of making an ebay store listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
From my experiences both buying and selling MTG cards on ebay, I've found that the market does not even come close to the price guides available.

The only exceptions I have found have been cards that were originally considered 'bad,' finding new homes with the release of another expansion and subsequently gaining value quickly.

My best bet is find a local store that offers good trade in value and use that for credit. Otherwise ebay is the easy opinion for making quick cash.

- Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jangus wrote:
From my experiences both buying and selling MTG cards on ebay, I've found that the market does not even come close to the price guides available.

Good to know -- I just want to know that I'm not doing something wrong.

All the money I spent on the cards was back in the 90s so this endeavor is just cash in my pocket at this point. And it's quite a chunk of change so I'm not complaining . . .

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebay is never a stable market. A week is just not enough time to ensure that someone is going to come along who wants to pay what the item's "worth", and you need two people to bid against each other to increase the price you get for your item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
There just aren't enough market makers to make prices stable. And without market makers willing to take any card under their book value minus x%, you see card prices varying wildly.

Unless you are selling cards that are relevant for the format used in the current DCI season, it'll always be a crapshoot. You'll see huge seasonal value shifts based on this, as people stock up for the next competitive format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Price guides are inaccurate, period. Those are prices you can get selling them if you own a store or something, but not what most people are willing to pay. The only thing they are really used for around here is trade value. Be prepared to sell low if you plan to sell on Ebay in playsets/singles or just sell them as a lot. The only cards that will go for alot are staples in the major formats (T1/T1.5/EXT/T2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The perfect example is what I just went through. The new set was released on the 2nd. I pull a foil rare card that by presale value is worth about $50. Problem is, everyone has picked up their boxes and opened up their own foil rares so the demand drops like a hot rock. While I still managed to sell it last week for $35, it was a $15 loss in under 5 days.

Ebay is a good gauge at demand for new sets and cards. BUT classic cards people just don't go out of their way to pick up online because there is just not the need to get it before your buddies or to claw to get it before the group at the tournament the next weekend. That and most sellers don't carry anything terribly old unless it's highly collectible... so the MTG buyer will just try and trade for it or hit up the local shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the good info.

Do you think a high value card will sell for a better price singly or in a block of 4?

For example, I've got a set of revised Wrath of Gods. Will I gross more selling each one singly or in a set of 4? Or is it an: "it depends on the meta-market"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playsets are always better than singles.

Wraths are tricky. They JUST rotated out of Standard for the first time in years so they aren't as saught after. You might grab some collector's interest, but I think you need to prtect yourself and don't start it at a penny!

http://findmagiccards.com/Cards/RV/Wrath_of_God.html

This shows you just how all over the board it can be... but I'd say don't expect more than $40 for the set if you go ebay.

Honestly, it might be more worth your while to just take them into your trusted FLGS and see what they can offer you store credit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lloyd
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yeah, I will pay more than $20 for any revised Duel land

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So would we all, but I doubt anyone that knows the real prices will sell it for that cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.