Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Some users of IE 8 have reported problems with the new comment system in geeklists. They report that when they try to reply to a comment, especially on a long geeklist, there is a very significant lag between hitting a key and having it show up on the screen--like they can type whole lines and have them not show.

I need to find out whether this a a general problem for all IE 8 users or if this is restricted to a few users.

IF you are using IE 8, it would be helpful to me if you reply in this thread letting me know whether you are seeing the reported problem, and if so, any relevant information about your system configuration. Also, if anyone who is NOT using IE 8 is having a problem with this, let me know as well. (This doesn't apply to users who find the site to be broken all over the place--menus, geekmail, modules, etc--that probably means you can't use javascript, which is not a bug I'm looking at right now.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Win XP and IE 8, but I am not encountering this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XP SP3 (5.1.2600) and IE 8.0.6001.18702.

I DO see the problem.

If I go to this list, there is a significant delay when typing. Much longer than in the smaller lists I usually am on. With very rapid (nonsense) typing one of my CPUs (I have a dual-core) is pegged by iexplore.exe.

Edit: If I switch into "Compatibility Mode" the problem goes away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This link may be of interest:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t684202-typing-delay-i...

Of particular interest are test pages that exhibits the issue (or a similar symptom anyway):

No Delay - http://www.eclink.com/ie8_issue_1.html
Slight Delay - http://www.eclink.com/ie8_issue_2.html
Large Delay - http://www.eclink.com/ie8_issue_5.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'm seeing it.

XP Pro - 6.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Explorer - 8.0.6001.18702

The sample (Essen geeklist) above shows the problem quite clearly. In general pages have seemed to be loading slower lately, so I thought that it was associated with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the links. I added a tag to force IE 8 into compatibility mode for geeklists. I think it should solve the problem for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Thanks for the links. I added a tag to force IE 8 into compatibility mode for geeklists. I think it should solve the problem for now.

I just received a massive 21 update Windows Patch. Now I don't see the issue anymore - even on the above #5 link.

Hopefully this means more and more users will not require the Tag fix. But for those who haven't been patched it should do the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
did the problem go away before I posted about my fix?

Ah--I see--you don't see the problem on the test case either. That means that anyone with an up-to-date patched version of IE 8 shouldn't have trouble either. I may revert my patch in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if it was your patch or the large update that MS sent out, but the problem is fixed for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it is often "laggy"
XP, IE8

checking now...

Not currently "laggy"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
The lag I described yesterday in another thread has now disappeared. Many thanks.

I've just returned from a week away, I see Windows Update would like to install 19 high-priority updates, so I'm just about to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Works fine for me. I'm using IE8 on windows 7 I figured I'd see if the operating system made a difference. I normally use chrome not IE, I haven't used IE for ages and I won't going back, so slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
I may remove the patch again--it is not something I didn't really want to have to force IE 8 into compatibility view, and if an update from Microsoft fixes the problem, then my patch should be unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.