Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a good wargame or game with warfare and political machinations involving medieval Europe--especially mounted knights. Historical accuracy is SECOND to fun and 'coolness'. I haven't played a wargame in over twelve years, and the ones I played were all from the Avalon Hill or mini-game traditions. My knowledge of the genre is out of date. However, these look intriguing to me:

Chainmail
Warrior Knights
Onward, Christian Soldiers
Crusader Rex

Can anyone present arguments or alternate suggestions? My budget is limited, so I can really only afford a single game, most likely. Tough choice, I know...

Thanks!

R13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrior Knights is pretty fun.

The other one to come to mind is BattleLore, but might be too pricey for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessJester wrote:
Warrior Knights is pretty fun.

The other one to come to mind is BattleLore, but might be too pricey for you.

Well, in the case of Battlelore, the price is offset by the fact that I can buy it in 'installments'--ie, not all at once, and the fact that it doubles as a hobby minis game. However, feedback on this game is mixed, and it's difficult to commit to. Does it have high replayability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy13 wrote:
Well, in the case of Battlelore, the price is offset by the fact that I can buy it in 'installments'--ie, not all at once, and the fact that it doubles as a hobby minis game. However, feedback on this game is mixed, and it's difficult to commit to. Does it have high replayability?

BattleLore suffers a bit in some people's estimations because it's more complex than Memoir '44, but doesn't have all the chrome that Commands & Colors: Ancients has.

As an owner of all the Commands and Colors games, I think it's BattleLore is excellent game, although I admit I prefer to play straight-up medieval battles rather than add all the War Council and Lore spell cards. BattleLore plays very fast for a tactical medieval game, and the cards mean that you're always in the dark about whether your opponent can react to your move. I'd highly recommend it.

Other simple medieval battle games I'd recommend are:

Ancient Battles Deluxe or its free equivalent Ancients. It's a simple hex and counter game with scenarios that span the ancient through medieval period. It won't have BattleLore's eye candy, but it's worth downloading the rules and checking them out. http://relativerange.com/

Chainmail looks interesting, although I tend to shy away from Richard Berg's games from a time and complexity standpoint. This one, though, looks reasonably streamlined. The rules are available for download at http://worthingtongames.com/

If you're interested in block games, check out Hammer of the Scots (Scottish Wars), Crusader Rex, and Richard III: The Wars of the Roses. These are all strategic level games, but they play reasonably fast. The rules are available for download at http://columbiagames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
Warrior Knights is fun, but it doesn't get very knightly, despite the name.

I know you are asking for a boardgame, but if you really are looking for a game with KNIGHTS! - then there can only be one answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendragon_%28role-playing_game%...

If you are at all interested, I might be persuaded to run a short introductory scenario as a pbem with one to three players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mowat
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a dose of Michael Knight in a high-speed adventure game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Other simple medieval battle games I'd recommend are:

Ancient Battles Deluxe or its free equivalent Ancients. It's a simple hex and counter game with scenarios that span the ancient through medieval period. It won't have BattleLore's eye candy, but it's worth downloading the rules and checking them out. http://relativerange.com/

Chainmail looks interesting, although I tend to shy away from Richard Berg's games from a time and complexity standpoint. This one, though, looks reasonably streamlined. The rules are available for download at http://worthingtongames.com/

If you're interested in block games, check out Hammer of the Scots (Scottish Wars), Crusader Rex, and Richard III: The Wars of the Roses. These are all strategic level games, but they play reasonably fast. The rules are available for download at http://columbiagames.com/

Thanks--Ancients deluxe looks really versatile--I will check that one out for sure. I'll look at the block games as well--I like Wizard Kings, and the others look a little deeper...

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anwar wrote:
Warrior Knights is fun, but it doesn't get very knightly, despite the name.

I know you are asking for a boardgame, but if you really are looking for a game with KNIGHTS! - then there can only be one answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendragon_%28role-playing_game%...

If you are at all interested, I might be persuaded to run a short introductory scenario as a pbem with one to three players.

Wow--I almost forgot about that one--I played my way through the entire Chaosium product line in college. How does a pbem rpg work?

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Grandini
Italy
Rubiera
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at A Game of Thrones, not exactly what you are looking for maybe, but still a great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
MrSkeletor wrote:
How is warrior knights not knightly?

By that I meant that you do indeed have knights, but they don't feel very "personal" - they don't have any personal characteristics, they don't have a personal domain and they have no personal relations (like marriage etc.). Compare Warrior Knights to Blood Royale and you see what I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
Randy13 wrote:
How does a pbem rpg work?

Well, basically like a pen&paper rpg - players have a character, there's a game master and an adventure (or quest). There's a little less interaction and players and the gm are usually freer in interpreting the game world - e.g. in a combat I'll ask for your general strategy and then resolve a string of rolls and only describe them and give feedback once something important happens (you defeat a foe, you take a strong hit, a friend is in danger etc.) and then you can react, again by giving me a general idea what you want to accomplish. In social situations players are free to describe minor actions/reactions of an NPC or add other minor elements to the scenery to form a bit of a narrative flow, as long as it doesn't go against the story or is abused - e.g. you can describe the reaction of the stable boy as you order him to get your horse immediately or even introduce a stable boy, even if the gm hasn't mentioned one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barliman71 wrote:
Have a look at A Game of Thrones, not exactly what you are looking for maybe, but still a great game

One thing I don't get from the reviews: Is A Game of Thrones substantially different from Warrior Knights? How about Battlestar Galactica?

Thanks!

R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Men of Iron looks Knighty.

Has this been mentioned yet? I haven't played it but there you go.

Also consider Wizard Kings and Hammer of the Scots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man or Astroman wrote:
Men of Iron looks Knighty.

Has this been mentioned yet? I haven't played it but there you go.

Also consider Wizard Kings and Hammer of the Scots

I have 1st ed. Wizard kings and enjoy it, although finding the individual armies is proving more difficult than I thought. Are the other block games identical in length of play, complexity, etc?

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots, Crusader Rex, and Richard III are a step up in complexity from Wizard Kings. All three games use a card play mechanism that limits how many groups can move each turn, as well as introducing events. Also, these games have definite campaign seasons where troops have to go home or hole up in castles over the winter months.

In Wizard Kings, you can move pretty freely as I recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll concur with those who have recommended Hammer of the Scots. It's pretty good fun, and you can drink scotch while you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will bump this thread once more by asking--are there any games to anyone's knowledge which feature knightly tournaments? Jousting, Melee, etc...I had a game way back when based in Ancient rome which was a combination of Gladiatorial combat and Chariot racing--I forget the name, but it was later published separately as Gladiator and Circus Maximus, and I was wondering if there was something similar for medieval themes...

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for game that's part-Chess/part-wargame, there's Feudal.

It's an old game, but not hard to find in thrift shops and Ebay.

No politics, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Camelot Legends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Mackler
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
If you're looking for game that's part-Chess/part-wargame, there's Feudal.

It's an old game, but not hard to find in thrift shops and Ebay.

No politics, though.

When I was a kid, I had this game, but without rules. I made some up. Hours of fun! It's nice to see it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The entire Cry Havoc series is full of knights (& sergeants & spearmen & archers & peasants, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Simple GBoH, particularly Cataphract. I know there are knights in Tyrant: Battles of Carthage versus Syracuse and a few other modules as well. Check out Devil's Horsemen for those great Teutonic Knights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Carcassonne

What do you mean he doesn't look like a knight to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy13 wrote:
I will bump this thread once more by asking--are there any games to anyone's knowledge which feature knightly tournaments? Jousting, Melee, etc...I had a game way back when based in Ancient rome which was a combination of Gladiatorial combat and Chariot racing--I forget the name, but it was later published separately as Gladiator and Circus Maximus, and I was wondering if there was something similar for medieval themes...

R

I've seen a few jousting tournament rules in miniatures games (e.g., TSR's Chainmail) and in RPG's (e.g., Chivalry & Sorcery). I haven't seen anything I'd really recommend. You might take a look at the Free Wargame Rules site and see if any of the minis rules look interesting to you.

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Off topicish: if you like Knights and rpgs you will probably adore Pendragon

http://rpg.geekdo.com/rpgitem/46922
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.