Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Codeword Cromwell: The German Invasion of England, 8 June 1940» Forums » General

Subject: Reference Sources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi Guys,

Obviously our game design is based very closely on the CFMC module, but for design purposes Mark and I are also drawing on some external reference sources, which I thought it might be useful to share with you.

I thought I'd kick off with a couple of films that are loosely inspired by the battle:

a) The Eagle Has Landed. Work of fiction based on the best-selling novel by Jack Higgins. An alternate-reality film set in 1944, in which a team of crack German Paratroops lead by Michael Caine infiltrate an English Village with a view to assassinating Winston Churchill. There are some close parallels with Birkham Stokes, including a pitched battle around the village church. Also involves a significantly US military presence, although in this version they're preparing for a fictitious invasion of France, as in the film Operation Sea Lion never happened.

b) Went The Day Well. British propaganda film made shortly after the invasion, which almost exactly replicates the early stages of the Battle, and features a number of the village characters, (and even a version of 'Chaplin'!). However, again it has an alternate-reality ending in which Sea Lion is repulsed.

Later on I'll talk about some of the literature that's also helped inspired elements of the module.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both of those films... guess I'm up for the game to then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Raven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mr Gordon,

Whilst elements of these cinematic treatments have been included in the module to provide some tactical variation for students, it's important to remember that both of the films cited were developed primarily after the 1940 Invasion.

They were produced for propaganda and entertainment purposes, and deal with "alternate reality" outcomes.

Over the next few days I understand Mr Hodges will post a reading list of literature dealing with the Landings that provide a more rounded historical perspective on the events covered in "Codeword Cromwell".

Raven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game also based on one of my favourite classics? "bedknobs and broomsticks". I mean, in the film the Invasion is repulsed (I know, I know, Amerikanische Propaganda), and it is the british who used magic (when everybody knows that the discovery of Magic by Rickhard Garfielden was what tipped the balance in favour of the germans), but is otherwise and excellent historical film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Do you know, I don't think I've ver watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks; terrible admission I know.

Having googled it, I think there are probably some similarities there, although I think this module will have slighty less of the magic...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Is this game also based on one of my favourite classics? "bedknobs and broomsticks". I mean, in the film the Invasion is repulsed (I know, I know, Amerikanische Propaganda), and it is the british who used magic (when everybody knows that the discovery of Magic by Rickhard Garfielden was what tipped the balance in favour of the germans), but is otherwise and excellent historical film.

Suits of medieval armor enchanted to act on their own do kick some serious butt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
...not sure we'll have any suits of armour.

But we do have a Squire...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
This book, from Osprey publishing:

"World War II Infantry Tactics: Squad and Platoon"

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/World-War-II-Infantry-...

Has an illustration adapted from training manuals of the time on how to defend a typical English village from German attack.

Worth checking out, given your subject matter.

Another book you might wish to give quick once through is "S-Day", a fictional account of an alternate history invasion of England.

http://www.amazon.ca/S-Day-Invasion-James-Stewart-Thayer/dp/...

It's a little bombastic at times , like most military techno-thrillers, and the "history" aspect of the alternate history is a little sketchy but it has a great, and ultimately very believable ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That's very interesting.

My understanding is that some of the tactics contained in the Osprey Book were based on the action at Birkham Stokes.

Or more accurately, the Osprey Book was partly based on the Combined Forces College syllabus, which itself took some lessons from BS.

I haven't read 'S-Day', but I think I'll pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
A superb little find:
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-q0H1VSpj1wODVkMjQ3MzM...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.