Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Rogers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I played 3 games tonight: one including the Island and 2 with the Tactician. All other kingdoms were randomly picked.

Game 1:
Chapel
Chancellor
Militia
Smithy
Bureaucrat
Island
Laboratory
Library
Trading Post
Harem

ME: Started with a militia and a silver. Bought an island(Couldn't resist it since it was new) and a then a gold next, and a chapel after that. Put one estate on the island. Bought silver. Trashed 3 copper and an estate. Bought gold 2 or 3 times. From here to the end, I bought either Provinces, Harems, or Islands, and one estate near the end. I really should have bought Duchies instead of Islands a couple times because I only used one other island (for a province). Final score - 48 (5 Provinces, 3 Harems, 5 Islands, 2 Estates)

WIFE: Started with a Smithy and a Chancellor. Dabbled in a little of everything (1 militia, 1 Trading Post, 1 Island, a few Labs.) Got "Militiaed" much more often than she would have liked. Started getting money too late, and consequently started getting VPs too late.
Final Score - 25 (2 Provinces, 2 Harems, 2 Duchies, 1 Island, 1 Estate)

NOTE: My wife actually trashed a province with her Trading Post on the last turn to end the game and keep me from buying it.

THOUGHTS ON THE ISLAND: Hard to make any judgements about it after this game. It would have been much more useful if we had a +2 Action kingdom in the game.

Game 2 and 3:
Secret Chamber
Great Hall
Shanty Town
Village
Wishing Well
Mining Village
Scout
Spy
Tactician
Tribute

Game 2-
ME: I started with a Shanty Town and a Mining Village. Then got some Silver and a Tactician as soon as I could. The Tactician proved to be an automatic gold the first time I got it and then automatic Provinces later. I bought 2 Great Halls and a Tribute and a Secret Chamber with my extra buys. Final Score - 29 (4 Provinces, 2 Great Halls, 3 Estates) While counting the final scores I realized that I didn't use my second buy on the last turn when I bought the final Province, so I should have had a Duchy as well.

WIFE: Got a Tactician and a Secret Chamber to start. Then picked up Silver and Gold, another Secret Chamber on a bad draw, and Provinces everytime she used the Tactician. She basically just got money and provinces, waiting for the Tactician to come up. She did have a 2 province buy with the Tactician. Final Score - 27 (4 Provinces, 3 Estates) As I was counting my score, she realized that the Great Halls were worth VPs and cursed herself for not getting any. She had bought quite a few silvers with her second buy.

THOUGHTS ON THE TACTICIAN: Seems to me that an early Tactician is very good. Would be even better if you could get Tactician and Courtyard with the first 2 buys. The only money that we could get from action cards in this game was from Tribute and Secret Chamber, and a little less so with mining village, so I decided to try and exploit this the next game.

Game 3-
ME: I planned to get 2 Secret Chambers, 2 Tacticians, 1 Mining Village and 2 Tributes, plus silver if only 3 to spend. Started with a mining village and silver. Then executed as planned except I only ever bought 1 Tribute. The plan was to play a Tactician. Then on the next turn play a Tribute, then a mining village (trashing if necessary based on what the tribute gave me.) Then play a secret chamber to discard my whole hand except another Tactician and 1 other card. Then play the next tactician. This actually worked quite well. The tribute always gave me either +2 coin or +2 cards so I was lucky that way and never had to trash the mining village until my final turn. I did pick up a Scout mid game and it helped me to get enough cards in my hand to discard with the secret chamber. I ended up playing the Tacticians back to back twice, but they never came up 3 times in a row. Final Score: 48 (6 Provinces, 2 Duchies, 2 Great Halls, 4 Estates).

WIFE: Played about the same as the game before, but didn't buy enough money. She kept getting very unlucky draws as well. (Gold and silver with the Tactician, Copper and Estates without the Tactician.) I think she had 7 coins 4 times when I was buying Provinces. Final Score: 33 (2 Provinces, 6 Duchies, 3 Estates)

MORE THOUGHT ON THE TACTICIAN: Both of these games seemed slow to me, so I'm convinced that unless there are a few good money actions (Festival, Minion, etc.), then a pure money strategy will beat the Tactician pretty easily. The great part about the tactician is I don't know many of my friends who will be able to pass it up. They love cute actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
namnad510 wrote:

NOTE: My wife actually trashed a province with her Trading Post on the last turn to end the game and keep me from buying it.
Huh? Trading post only lets you trash cards from your hand. How does trashing a province from her own deck stop you from getting one? Seems like a misunderstanding in how the card works...

EDIT: Wait, I think I see a way this makes sense: She had 6 coins in her hand, a trading post, a province and some other card. She trashed the province and the other card with the TP to get a silver in her hand and used that silver with the 6 coins in hand to buy the last province? Is that what you meant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one card and strategy that the Tactician will love will be Conspirator. With some generic + 2 action cards in there, a conspirator chain will give enough money for a province, end with a tactician, and then have a high chance of doing it all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Rogers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
gonzoron wrote:
namnad510 wrote:

Wait, I think I see a way this makes sense: She had 6 coins in her hand, a trading post, a province and some other card. She trashed the province and the other card with the TP to get a silver in her hand and used that silver with the 6 coins in hand to buy the last province? Is that what you meant?

That's exactly what happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.