Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=854

Interesting. I hope they can bring them back in another form. Unpainted in sets matching the base game and expansions, preferably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you Chris. Probably that's the way to go. Good to hear that FFG listened to the messages from the fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unpainted and roughly the same size/scale as Talisman/Fury of Dracula (or Last Night on Earth) minis in a pack would be great. Aside from the 2-per-pack idea, I wasn't sure why they were going to be larger scale too.

Be interesting to see what happens next on the Arkham front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Ok...does this mean they are going to cancel Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
11" GI Joe sized with kung-fu grip would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also have no problem with them creating these as unpainted minis. They do a terrific job with plastic minis and even not painted these things look great.

Plus if they can do plastic minis there might be a chance that they can make monsters and GOOs! I think it's very important for them to just release all of the base game minis at the same time. That way you can just buy them and instantly add them all to your game.

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Crawford
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really disappointed over this. I had no issue with the cost as they seemed to be quality figures. I personally don't want to have to paint them if they were offered unpainted as I already paint 10 and 15mm figures and don't want to add to my workload. Plus I doubt I could paint them as good as a professional and I would prefer they looked exactly like they do on the game card. For good quality figure painted the price they were planning on selling them at is pretty competitive when compared with what painting services charge for them to paint your 28mm figures if you add the cost of the figure. I guess its a matter of perspective. If you are used to getting things for free in a game then you will be negative towards anything you have to pay for. Having a miniatures wargame background this was par for the course and it saved me having to paint them.

I sincerely hope they reconsider this decision in the new year. It would have been nice to play using miniatures rather than those cardboard counters. I was hoping too that they would come out with monster miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BonesJackson wrote:
I think it's very important for them to just release all of the base game minis at the same time. That way you can just buy them and instantly add them all to your game.

They would've done that if the projected sales levels had justified the production costs, I'm sure. It's just so hard to afford all the molding for an add-on luxury product. In hindsight, they should've planned for plastic investigator figures 4-5 years ago, and included them with the base game.

Oh, well. Not too surprised they had to cancel these. It's much better to cancel them now, rather than after a few months of poor sales. Anyone who had started to collect the line would have screamed bloody murder if their collection was left incomplete!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering these minis were close to release, presumably FFG would already have created the molds for the minis...? Seeing as that's the expensive part, surely it would have been most cost-effective to release them anyway and try to recoup some of the money they spent on the molds...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brian C wrote:
Plus I doubt I could paint them as good as a professional and I would prefer they looked exactly like they do on the game card.

I'm pretty sure these would have been painted by cheap labour, say in China, a la D&D minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question. Of course, the master models are sculpted and what not before molds are made. Product photos can be taken from those, if need be, but I suspect they did indeed invest in a small mold or two by now.

If so, well, there's a reason for doing these in two-packs. It minimizes the up-front molding costs. Perhaps they have indeed just lost several thousand dollars in product development, but the mold will still be usable a year from now, or even later. If they decide to revisit this product, they could recoup that loss.

I'm sure that they looked at the resistance to the price point and realized that they weren't going to sell near their projected run on these (my guess was 1000 figures each), and would lose a ton more money and goodwill by proceeding than by eating the production costs to date.

I give them full credit for trying. I wouldn't even have attempted it as an add-on product, all things considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like a good thing to consider when they put out a new edition of AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As intrigued as I was in these minis, I'm not sad to see them go. Initially I thought I might pick up a few and could probably convince a few people in my gaming group to pick some up as well. After considering future games on my purchase list and my thinly stretched gaming budget, I realized that they were not an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have bought a package of each when they hit the FLGS. I was excited by these. $13 about every month was affordable.

I am decidedly less enthused about unpainted Runebound/Descent types. If they decide to release them that way, then I'll consider it, but it won't be on my "Must buy" list.

I still think that more people would have come around after seeing them in a store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
I give them full credit for trying. I wouldn't even have attempted it as an add-on product, all things considered.

I think add-on products like this can be successful, but they have to be packaged and priced intelligently and I think the original concept for these failed on both fronts pretty badly.

On the former point, no one is going to want to buy just two of these things. You can't choose the investigators that you're going to use if you play the game by the rules as written, so it's not as though you could just buy the pack or two that have your favourite characters. With bad character draws, someone could conceivably have invested over $100 in cool minis and then not get to use them, that's just not going to work.

On the latter, people expect quite a lot for a little these days. The D&D minis and other collectible miniature games have raised the bar in terms of what people think they will get for $10, and two figures isn't going to be enough to satiate them. I think people would probably have a higher tolerance for a slightly unreasonable price point that actually has everything from a given set (i.e.: base game, Dunwich, &c.) than they would for the original 2 pack scheme, but there are still upper limits. Is it worth doubling the price of the game just to have neat investigator minis? What about monster minis at that point? I can just see dedicated Arkham fans scanning their bank account and gritting their teeth at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Unsworth
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's quite funny to read how emotional people are about this on the FF news announcement.

Personally I don't understand why the figures would have been so expensive. You could buy a couple of big new board games for the price collecting all the painted mini's.

I hope they release a pack of all the minis unpainted, I might go for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might buy smaller unpainted minis as well. The FFG plans were too expensive by far.

Don't get me wrong, they looked great but they would have failed to make enough money and would have been discontinued.

I would not have risked starting to buy, not knowing that they would complete the set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Considering these minis were close to release, presumably FFG would already have created the molds for the minis...? Seeing as that's the expensive part, surely it would have been most cost-effective to release them anyway and try to recoup some of the money they spent on the molds...?

One possibility is, if they have already paid for the molds, maybe they are going for a reprint of AH as a Collectors set with figures inside. This might make for a better selling point for them. Not really a 3rd edition, more of a collectors edition. That way they can price it to cover to cost of the figures in each set and offer the game to new and old players alike. You ARE talking FF here, and everyone knows that they aren't afraid of the HUGE-BOX game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they've already had molds cut for these, it was likely just for the first release or two. I'm certain that part of the reason for the 2-pack format was to make sure they paid for the molding for the first set or two before paying for additional molds. Probably the only way they could justify the cost.

I sure hope they don't put out unpainted plastic for Arkham. The rest of the game is so colorful; drab unpainted plastic investigators would just look lame. Sure, gamers could paint them, but most boardgamers just aren't interested in doing that. My vote is for either the current setup, or fully painted investigators. Unpainted plastic would be the worst of both worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking forward to these. The price was high, certainly, but online stores were planning to sell them at 33% off MSRP (~$8.63). Calls for $20 for 10 of these were unrealistic, but I think if they could have had a MSRP of $20 for four of them it might have worked. Then they would have ended up under $3.50 apiece after online discounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roswurm
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why everyone (most people) had to complain about the miniatures. If it was too expensive for you, then just don't buy them until you can get them in bulk, it would have happened. Like Sean said, buying it from an online store $8 something wouldn't have been so bad. I think a world (Arkham) with miniatures and more sane that the world without them. I am extremely bummed out about the cancellation. I believe the sales for them would have been better than people may have come to believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better that FFG received frank and honest feedback regarding their proposed price point and 2 figure per pack option. That proposal has been cancelled but not the prospect of releasing the figures if a viable alternative can be found:

Quote:
We apologize to the customers who were excited about the announced figures, and will continue to investigate avenues in the future to make the reality of painted miniatures for Arkham Horror a reality."

Sounds hopeful to me...

And for the record if they release packs of figures that correspond to the investigators in each expansion box, I'll buy them in a hot minute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William W
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think they were trying to price them as a niche item and the consumer group was too smart to pay up. Look at Heroscape. Some $12 boosters have up to 7 painted miniatures.

They try to put it off on negativity. The business model was broken, nothing more, but because the margin wouldn't be high enough, they scrap the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really Quite impressed with Christian, the CEO of FFG. Last year he told us CoCCCG folks to take a long stroll on a short pier when we complained about the switch to white bordered cards. That switch turned out to be the best thing ever for that game, now transitioned to a LIVING CG rather than collectable.

Now he reads the comments of his loyal AH fanbase on various boards and concludes that FFG was headed the wrong direction with the pre-painted miniatures. Then HE DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT, in effect admitting the plan was not sound.

The guy is apparently a gamer, but he has pretty darned good business sense.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William W
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
chicklewis wrote:
I'm really Quite impressed with Christian, the CEO of FFG. Last year he told us CoCCCG folks to take a long stroll on a short pier when we complained about the switch to white bordered cards. That switch turned out to be the best thing ever for that game, now transitioned to a LIVING CG rather than collectable.

Now he reads the comments of his loyal AH fanbase on various boards and concludes that FFG was headed the wrong direction with the pre-painted miniatures. Then HE DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT, in effect admitting the plan was not sound.

The guy is apparently a gamer, but he has pretty darned good business sense.

Chick

I'm coming at this being VERY new to the game, but not to minis. The price and packaging were the problems. If the packs were sold alongside the expansions, or two per expansion with a little less flash in the packaging, they'd sell.

They made the point themselves, they've taken it off-line at the moment to revisit the plan and find a different way to bring the figures to market.

That said, it is a bit strange that they would say the minis are cancelled but will be reviewed. You'd think they'd just update on a change in packaging/distribution (like they did with Mutant Chronicles switching from blinds to visible boosters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.