Catan: Cities & Knights» Forums » Rules

Subject: Metropolis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamil Kyrš
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Example: Player 1 has one metropolis, he was the first to reach the fourth yellow city improvement. Further he has only one settlement and no city. Player 2 has also one metropolis, he was the first to reach the fourth green city improvement.

Question: Can now a player 1 build a fourth green city improvement?

The rules state, that "you may not purchase any improvements beyond the third level of a given color unless you have a city where you could build a metropolis. If you do not have such a city on the board, you must wait until you have built at least one more city." But since it would not actually be a metropolis (the player 2 already has the green metropolis) I think in this case you can built the fourth green upgrade even without a city. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how Player one is able to build any city improvements with no city, or what the benefit would be to build up, BUT I would say that this would be fair as they are not gaining a metropolis either way with this action. Just seems a waste is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrsk wrote:
Example: Player 1 has one metropolis, he was the first to reach the fourth yellow city improvement. Then he has only one settlement and no city. Player 2 has also one metropolis, he was the first to reach the fourth green city improvement.

Question: Can now a player 1 build a fourth green city improvement?

The rules state, that "you may not purchase any improvements beyond the third level of a given color unless you have a city where you could build a metropolis. If you do not have such a city on the board, you must wait until you have built at least one more city." But since it would not actually be a metropolis (the player 2 already has the green metropolis) I think in this case you can built the fourth green upgrade even without a city. What do you think?
Going by memory, and from the United States, Mayfair 3rd edition of the rules, I believe you would be forbidden to upgrade your technologies in that case until you get a 2nd city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your memory is correct. You can't do city improvements to the metropolis level if there isn't an unmetropolized city to upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Kyrš
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if the city would not become a metropolis (another player already owns 4th upgrade of that color)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading of that rule is that you simply are not allowed to build beyond the third level unless you have a city which doesn't have a metropolis on it. But I see your point. By that interpretation of the rule, it would also forbid a player with only one 'metropolized' city and no other cities to build a fifth level in the commodity in which he already has the metropolis. That seems wrong to me.

So, that's the way that the literal reading of the rules has it. That said, I don't like that interpretation. If it came up in one of our games, I would vote for a house rule that stated what you are proposing, something along the lines of
My proposed house rule wrote:
You may not purchase any improvements beyond the third level of a given color which would result in you gaining a metropolis (beyond any which you already own) unless you have a city where you could build that metropolis. If you do not have such a city on the board, you must wait until you have built at least one more city."

That's my two cents, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The rule says literary that you are not allowed to build the fourth / fifth level in any OTHER commodity than the one you already have the metropolis.
(Note the contradiction to Pauls wrong interpretation of building the fifth level where you have the metropolis and no other city - German original has this very clear, latest English translation looks a bit ambiguous to me regarding this question.)

Now, does that mean, you are not allowed to build the fourth level under any circumstances or does it only mean, you are not allowed to build the fourth level if it would gain you the metropolis?

You need one city for each fourth level.

You can argue if this is in the spirit of the game or not.
First, it makes the rule a bit straighter.
Second, you can argue that one city that has so many famous buildings and is so important for Catan's trading simply cannot afford to have also a so important military building or science building. It is just too much for one city.

But it is your's to house-rule this otherwise.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Kyrš
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you all for the replies. I just wanted to know the way how it’s ment to be played . I will stick to the official interpretation of the rules then – one city for each fourth level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i still dont understand this rule. if one guy gets a metropolis how are other people supposed to take it if they cant build beyond level 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
i still dont understand this rule. if one guy gets a metropolis how are other people supposed to take it if they cant build beyond level 3?
In the strict reading of this rule, you must have a city for each progress track you build past level 3.

With one surviving city, you can build one track past level 3, in order to build another track past level 3, you need a second city, regardless whether you hold the metropolis for the first track.

Since losing a city to the barbarians doesn't invalidate any city expansions you already have, a player with level 4 in three tracks and only two cities left after a barbarian invasion is still able to advance two tracks of his choice to level 5. He may raise the third track only when he upgrades a further settlement to a city, regardless whether he holds any of the metropolises for the other tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so for simplicity sake it sounds like youre saying this...

Let's say I have the only city in the game. I could make level 1, 2, and 3 improvements in ALL tracks even though I have only one city.

But on the next improvement (level 4) I would have to choose one of the three tracks. from that point on I CANNOT do another level 4 improvement, because my city was committed to the first level 4 improvement I did right?

In order to make level 4 and 5 improvements in the remaining two tracks I would need another city.

Is that the correct understanding? To me that seems to make the most sense. I think it could have been worded a little more clearly in the English rules with a detailed example, but I think I understand it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls