Subject: Puerto Rico - 2 Player Duel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short last time on players and still wanting to bust out PR (puerto rico), we decided to use the 2 player variant.

Early Game

Early game, my friend decided on a shipping strategy. Focusing on corn, indigo and sugar he was able to get much farther ahead of me than I expected. I focused on early coffee to obtain a reliable cash flow to fuel a building strategy. As first player, I start with an Indigo. It was an early mistake not to go for the large Indgo plant, instead of just cheaping out on a small one. In doing this, it hindered my early production capacity to compete with filling either of the two ships. The coffee wasn't enough of this as I always opted to trade whatever I produced for $.

Late Game
I caught up with production slightly capitalizing on tobacco mid game along with a harbour and a some large indigo buildings. Determining that he was still most likely ahead of me in VP, he figured out that it was possible to exhaust the colonist supply earlier than I had anticipated!

Taking the mayor, he emptied ALL of his buildings, forcing the colonist ship to his 11 in number at the end of the Mayor phase. As only 3 colonist were left, there would only be 1 more turn left in the game, 1 turn too short for me to generate the $ to purchase and man an additional large purple building to try and swing things in my favour.

Result

The final sore was:
Me - 35
Him - 43

Thoughts

Though a good move, it bothered me that he was able to end the game with the exhaustion of the colonist supply in such a manner. Its an odd way to end the game. Maybe its time to pick up the expansion with the addition of nobles to remove this game ending condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said in the other thread, illegal:

PR Rules pg 4 (Mayor) wrote:
No player may choose to place colonists in San Juan if he has empty circles available on his player board. All empty circles must be filled, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Koehn
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mwdalrymple wrote:
Taking the mayor, he emptied ALL of his buildings, forcing the colonist ship to his 11 in number at the end of the Mayor phase.

Though a good move, it bothered me that he was able to end the game with the exhaustion of the colonist supply in such a manner. Its an odd way to end the game. Maybe its time to pick up the expansion with the addition of nobles to remove this game ending condition.

Did he have a lot of empty plantations to move the colonists to? If he did this by just moving them to San Juan, it was not a legal move. You have to fill all of your buildings before putting colonists in San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He never placed anyone in San Juan. He had a Hacienda so he was very far along in terms of plantations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since he placed all his colonists, then he just out-manoeuvred you and deserved to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the 2 player variant as well and I see that one player will always go for Corn and if you don't try to compete they will out score you every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When there are only 40 colonists, I just found it a bit dueshey. Especially since the expansion removes this game ending condition.

Consider that you have only 12 plantation squares and 12 building squares. To fully fill and activate your board, you are probably averaging 24 colonists per player (1 for each plantation, and an average of 1 per building square). Fine that its a limited resource, but when there are only 2 players, I just find it a bit to easy to end the game. The other two game ending conditions seem a bit more fair (well played or not as you have stated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j-train1 wrote:
I just played the 2 player variant as well and I see that one player will always go for Corn and if you don't try to compete they will out score you every time.

Since there are only two ships, production blocking is pretty important. I find that in a 2 player game, you can't really focus on a building strategy since it hands the game in most cases to other player focused on shipping. You can kind of getting away with it in 4 player games since there are enough players competing for VPs/Spaces on the ship that it doesn't matter as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwdalrymple wrote:
I find that in a 2 player game, you can't really focus on a building strategy since it hands the game in most cases to other player focused on shipping.

I learned that last night against my GF. I had both markets and was making a ton of coin, but she out-shipped me and I was left with lots of useless cash at the end and not nearly enough VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mwdalrymple wrote:
When there are only 40 colonists, I just found it a bit dueshey. Especially since the expansion removes this game ending condition.

I guess I just don't see it as a problem. You can see their board right on the table. You know how many buildings they have, how many colonists, how many plantations. You know how many colonists they can't remove if they want to get points from their buildings.

I don't see the difference between looking over at the other guy and thinking "If he builds a large building the game will end this turn" or "If he moves a few colonists to those empty plantations the game will end this turn".

BTW, I don't own the expansion, but I have some downloaded files. Nothing in there states that this ending condition is removed. Where do you see that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/43381

Quote:

Warning! : When you play with this expansion, the lack of Colonist/Noble to fill the colonist’s ship is not a game ending condition anymore. There’s no need to count the number of Colonist discs before play anymore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the new Nobles expansion, I thought you were talking about the old one.

That Nobles thing is essentially an entirely new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that can be said of any expansion. I like how they removed that condition regardless. I can see why it is there, to provide some meaning to the mayor late game, but I still don't really like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.