Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just caught a commercial on TV where Hasbro is talking about "Family Game Nights". The game that gets the bulk of exposure is Monopoly (no surprise). Interesting that in the commercial, there is a time-limit established to the monopoly game. When the time-limit is hit, the scores are tallied and a winner declared...no player elimination. "This weeks trophy winner is next week's player to beat". Hasbro is pushing a euro-ized Monopoly! Actually, I think it's pretty cool because they aren't just trying to sell Monopoly, they are also trying to sell the idea of a "family boardgaming night" as a whole.

Found the commericial on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQZpDiJmIYk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chelsey King
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, they sell the trophy separately. I saw it last week in TRU http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3355108

I am not a big Monopoly player, but they used a time limit that seems similar if not the exact same as the mechanic that they showed on the commercial in the NES version of the game. Worked pretty well actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I might not like the "family game night" line of games that Hasbro is selling, but I do STRONGLY support the idea of a family game night. Family game nights are just fantastic fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely - have family game nights when you can.
There is discovery, conversation, lessons in winning and losing and sportsmanship.

It can be hard; we are a 60/40 split in my house with Social games with lots of interaction and talking being the 60% and longer turn based just enjoy the process of the game being the 40%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Monopoly "Tropical Tycoon" game. It is a VERY Euro influenced game, with multiple end points (you can end early and tally up the scores, or you can play to a pre-defined event, or you can just play it out). It also has distinct roles for each player with special powers and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Even multi-racial families can enjoy surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Even multi-racial families can enjoy

Just not in Louisiana, apparently.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_interraci...

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if strategy/designer boardgaming ever goes mainstream (like computer games), it will have to be on the back of giants like Hasbro. They're the only ones that have the $$$ to do any real TV advertising. The only negative is that they don't have much incentive to hook consumers on better games. But there will always be some that play the mass-market stuff, seek out better games, and find their way here. Family boardgame night is great for the hobby (and families).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The LoTR monopoly timer works really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The LoTR monopoly timer works really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.