Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to Imperial but love it! It seems Great Britian always just seem to sit there without much going on...many ships of course but nothing real special happening. My question is if you had Great Britian what would be your stategy if you wanted it to prosper. I understand one can expand and hold a tax base but it seem so many other nations have ships in the water that it just seems to control the waters adjacent to GB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Priest
United States
Inverness
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new too, but the tack I have taken includes:

-control and protect your local sea areas with your navy
-grab and hold Norway if you can
-build factories like crazy and try to keep getting around the rondel to taxation as fast as you can
-try to control Germany (which nobody seems to like anyway) to protect your flank on that side

Take this with a grain of salt. I usually lose control of Britain as I increase it's value and I just in general tend to lose a lot when playing Imperial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
England starts with and can make more naval factories than anyone else. Controlling the adjacent sea zones should be a piece of cake unless other players are actively trying to keep England down. If Russia or Germany don't make a second naval factory in the north, you can easily control all the northern waters and then have Norway and Sweden to yourself.

I don't think there's any special magic to it. Buy factories and make lots of units if you want a country to have the potential to do well. Much more important is who else wants it to do well, and who actively doesn't want it to do well.

I find England to be one of the stronger countries myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all about who is interested in seeing GB do well. I also think it is always a threat to be strong because it has only two immediate competitors, France and Germany. If you, or someone else who wants GB to do well, controls one of these two, (or if you can pressure them into focusing away from GB) there is great potential for the Brits to control a good chunk of territory without too much effort.

Contrast this with Austria or Germany, which have three and four close neighbors respectively. Those are much trickier to manage to a high score, at least in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locally, GB tends to be an "investing" nation, which goes to war for other nations. In other words, a player will invest heavily into GB early on (often buying the 4 followed by a 3-2-1 purchase if any are available after the initial purchasing, Investoring their money back quickly, throwing their ships in the way of nations they have nothing in.

It's well-suited for such in it's island fortress, rarely worrying about forces occupying its factories.

Usually it's not the fastest to upgrade to 5-factories, nor is it often the "winner," but it pays good dividends and can be a major military/tax monster. I've seen them occupy both Russia and Italy (not at the same time!) in various games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
Mode: Nippon
badge
mb
blueatheart wrote:
I've seen them occupy both Russia and Italy (not at the same time!) in various games.

Uau! That's something I've never seen! Italy?!

Well maybe we're more conservative players. Usually we take UK and try to be discrete. Beggining with Import usually is a safe move because you can add an army to the country soon and everybody should be aware of that and become defensive. Because in the long run usually UK gets with 4 or 5 factories and lots of taxations so the main idea is to prevent an attack towards its factories.

A proxy country, of course, is also a good move. I like Germany too but if you have Russia, things can be even easier if Italy and France are controled by different players. In our games Austria, Germany and Italy (being Austria in the middle) tend to "eliminate" theirselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I find England a subtle country to play well. It helps if Germany, France and Russia are distracted to the South. If they are, I've seen England holding the Western Mediterranean and the Baltic and everything in-between at the same time, more than once. I've also seen England (briefly) hold Turkey. The key is to get control of the North Sea and English Channel, to hold them, and to keep the immediate neighbours sufficiently distracted that holding those key locations is not a burden. Once that's down the rest is tempo management.

What's rather more unusual, and I've done, is to have Germany holding the Western Mediterannean, Portugal and Scandinavia, and to successfully hold them against the British French and Russians. Of course it did so by occupying several British and French factories, and repeatedly destroying the Russian's northern fleet factory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soledade wrote:
Uau! That's something I've never seen! Italy?!

For some reason, the UK is the focus of the warmongering players locally. I've encountered about 2-3 players who all warmonger to various degrees. They don't understand the game, and I usually avoid playing with them, but when they play, they grab Britain and invade heavily.

Most "more sensible" players tend to act in a similar fashion as described before, but understand how to use UK as a tool rather than solely as a conquering force.

Quote:
Well maybe we're more conservative players. Usually we take UK and try to be discrete. Beggining with Import usually is a safe move because you can add an army to the country soon and everybody should be aware of that and become defensive. Because in the long run usually UK gets with 4 or 5 factories and lots of taxations so the main idea is to prevent an attack towards its factories.

I've seen the Brits begin with Import to gain extra land units; I don't feel it is a strong play. UK should be focusing on their sea units, with a couple of land units for well-placed/timed invasions. They really probably shouldn't be attempting to control more than 1-2 land spaces until the late stages of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games, GB is always a strong country, but rarely a winner. People are always interested to get shares in it because it's not going to get pounded. Unfortunately, it seem that whoever is in control focuses on navy instead of ground forces and so it never seems to expand out far enough to get in the position to win.

France is often an strong navy competitor and whoever is Germany often just makes navies to piss of GB. Russia rarely gets involved in the north. That leaves our games with GB expanding nicely at first, but constantly building boats to hold his sea zones from France and Germany.

One pro-UK strategy would be to invest enough to control in France and GB or team up some someone to get those shares. Use France to push on Germany and Italy while GB expands into Norway, Spain, and perhaps Denmark/Netherlands area. Make sure to get a land factory or import because you're not a threat without them. This could work as well for investing in Germany to beat on France, but it much more vulnerable since Germany can get crushed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Lau
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- invest in Italy and try to control it.
- build factories and use Italy as hitman
- take north sea, channel, atlantic
- often you can find yourself able to gain spain and portugal opportunitistically.
- either befriend with Germany or co-invest there
- this is not a wargame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that you can tax the seas. GB doesn't need to hold much, if any, land to have strong taxation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.