Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
I have always found the suggestions here extremely helpful, so I solicit your advice again. I have $35 I won in a math trade to spend. I'm looking for fantastic 2-player games that play in a little less than an hour that I may have overlooked and your thoughts on a few LCG's.

Here's what we've tried and liked/disliked:

^Hive - we'll break this out occasionally.
^Wings of War: Famous Aces - decent, but definitely not deep enough for us.
^Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - this was a big hit, surprisingly. Lots of gotcha moments and double-think.
^Mr. Jack - one of our favorites. I don't think there's a better deduction game. My gaming buddy is growing tired of my win streak though.
^Ingenious/Blokus - meh...
^Cuba/Agricola - fun, and something we'll break out every once in a while. It seems too tightly scored. I don't think we've ever had more than a 2 point differential. We have a hard time analyzing what we did right/or if the game just plays itself...
^Race for the Galaxy - one of my faves. He doesn't like it that much.
^CC:A/Memoir - sees occasional plays. A little too much luck.
^Jambo - sees occasional plays. Had similar problems with it as with Cuba.
^Pandemic/Space Alert - SA will definitely see more plays.
^We have a few wargames that we like, but we're not looking to add in this department I don't think. His favorite is definitely Hammer of the Scots.

He has intimated that he misses Magic sometimes. In our youth he would stomp me in battle, and I would make shrewd trades that he still hasn't let me live down. I thought an LCG or quick CDG game might be the next thing to try. Here are the ones I'm looking at:

1. Day & Night - I've read Ender's review and it won an award. I've been burned by these same things before though (Thebes...grr)
2. Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game - Looks interesting, but have no idea how it really plays.
3. Warhammer: Invasion - this has definitely piqued my interest. Some sweet art.
4. Blue Moon - an old staple, but its prevalence in math trades suggests to me it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Anything else you might suggest based on our likes/dislikes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, who is "he" that you mention playing with - you never say who that is and it could have some bearing on suggestions to know a bit about who you game with predominantly. Is he a Son, a fellow gamer, family member, etc??

For my money, Warhammer:Invasion is the best out there at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well $35 bucks isn't going to get you much. Wytefang sold me on Warhammer: Invasion, but I haven't played it yet. Looks like a pretty solid "Core Set". I like Call of Cthulhu LCG rather a lot, and it is full of double-think. However, there are no duplicate cards in the Core Set, sp playing with only that is a bit odd. Fleshes out nicely with the Asylum Packs though. With Blue Moon, you will only get two decks in the Core Set, and again, it is better when you can get more factions to play, as Hoax vs. Vulca gets a bit old after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wytefang wrote:
First, who is "he" that you mention playing with - you never say who that is and it could have some bearing on suggestions to know a bit about who you game with predominantly. Is he a Son, a fellow gamer, family member, etc??

For my money, Warhammer:Invasion is the best out there at the moment.

Just an old buddy, fellow teacher, and confidant for the last 20 or so years. A great gamer/thinker. Not a huge fan of luck--its absence unnecessary as long as it can be mitigated by good play. Lately, besides HOTS, he's leaned toward shorter games.

edit: warhammer: invasion looks great. Not at B&B right now though, which is where my GC is located.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Pyne
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to take a look at War for EdaĆ°h as an option. Disclosure - I'm the co-designer but there're plenty of reviews and feedback on the BGG page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list of likes and dislikes it seems as though we have at least similar tastes. Of the four games you are looking at I don't think you can go wrong with the first three. That isn't to say Blue Moon is bad, but I definitely like the others more. If I had to choose one? I'd go with Warhammer: Invasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with either Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game or Warhammer: Invasion.

For a excellent in depth review of CoC go here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/452843.

You can also go on FFG website for an excellent tutorial of the game.http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/coc/tutorial/p....

They also have a nice breakdown of the core set/gameplay http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm....

Warhammer Invasion also has a great tutorial on their website and is worth watching if you are interested in that. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=826.

Good Luck!

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
$35 isn't going to get you much... If you're looking for a newer game, I'd probably go with the Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game.

BUT, if you don't mind older (read: dead) CCG's, you might get a little more bang for your buck shopping for a card lot on Ebay for one of these:

Netrunner
Star Wars Customizable Card Game (the Decipher version)
The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game, or
Middle-earth

All of them get consistently high ratings (from my experience and/or word of mouth).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like quick-playing card games, Court of the Medici and The Battle for Hill 218 are relatively inexpensive (under $7 each), fun, and deeper than would seem at first glance. If you like abstracts you might take a look at Arimaa (you can try it out on-line before you buy)...

Since y'all really enjoy Mr. Jack, you might want to wait for the release of Mr. Jack in New York at the end of October. It's a stand-alone variant that the designer says is better for more experienced Mr. Jack players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Definitely anxious for Mr. Jack in NY and have had Court of the Medici on the radar for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Daniel. My wife and I play a lot of 2-P games (including those that scale well to that number) and right now, I can't think of another game that offers more than Traders of Osaka. The designer Susumu Kawasaki is not as familiar as Reiner Knizia, but he has created a superb game that reminds me of some of Knizia's better efforts.

Traders of Carthage forces you to play your best, requires you to play multiple roles at the same time and uses skillful play to minimize the luck of the draw. It is an intense game that often goes down to the wire: recently my wife came from behind on the last turn to edge me 27-25. Our games are almost always close and keep us involved until the end. Doesn't that sound like a game you would enjoy?

It is a small game physically but packs a lot of power. The components are beautiful and if you get it from Boards and Bits (as I did) you'll have some money left over. Be aware, though, that most people need to play it a few times before they can start to determine the depth of the game. You have to make many decisions and play your best, or you could end up helping your opponent more than yourself!

Bruno Faidutti, designer of Citadels and many other games, calls Traders of Carthage "a masterwork." He also refers to this as a heavy card game! I definitely agree, and you owe it to yourself to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.