Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
treznor
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Having picked up a number of new games at the local game store, focusing mainly on games I had heard were good two player games, I sat down to try them out.

Hera & Zeus hit the table after we had gone through most of the other games, as on first look the rules somewhat scared us off from this game. However, after a quick read through the rules and noting that all the player descriptions are also detailed on the player aid cards that come with the game, we got the basic mechanics down with a few quick test runs and set off into the game.

Although slow going at first as we were trying to figure out what each card in our hand did, the pace picked up after that as we got the hang of the action points and what was generally a good idea to try and focus on. The first game was for the most part unremarkable until the ending as I made a fairly large blunder that cost me the game. Drawing the Argus card to my hand (I was Zeus) I wanted to get the card to the board quickly as Nicole had been using Pegasi on my hand somewhat regularly. Slapping down two medusa and then putting Argus behind these two I thought I had adequitely defended myself, though as soon as Nicole had begun her turn I saw the error I had made. Too late to turn back at that point, I only hoped that Nicole wouldn't pick up on it in time and I'd be able to blitzkreig to the victory. Unfortunately this was not to be as she had an Amazon on the front row and went through the column quickly and won the first game.

The second game was a battle of Pegasi as most of the cards I drew were Pegasi or Persephone. Putting out and building up a fairly strong front, I began the assault on her hand whittling down her hand with the Pegasi. My goal was to keep up this strategy putting down her 2-7 cards in front of my cards I knew I could beat them with to get rid of them, while also getting rid of some of her mythology cards. In the end it worked out well as I ended up pulling out her Io card and I won the game.

The third game was a military beatdown, pure and simple. I drew Poseidon and Hades from the start, as well as 2 giants. Nicole was not so lucky and I had her on the ropes from the start. I kept drawing fairly good military cards, but kept not pulling Pegasi. This resulted more or less in me destroying a unit of Nicole's with one of mine, her drawing until she found something she could beat the unit with and then me smacking into the unit just to find out what it was (hoping to be able to replace it with a strong card from my hand). This worked fairly well for me as I kept pulling strong cards (though to the detriment of pulling Pegasus cards).

In the end, the carnage started to wear down on Nicole as we actually made it through almost our entire deck. My Poseidon was in the front row opposite her Nemesis and she needed to attack to spend the action point. This sent both our unit 7's to the discard pile. I immediately used my Hades to pull Poseidon back to my hand, and the Sirens to pull her Nemesis to my hand as well. From there on out, I had military control of the board and the best that Nicole could do was stall and spend her action point(s) the best she could... In the end I won the third round as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.