Neil Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst in Essen, I saw that there were at least 5 different German boardgame magazine publications, whilst I found it difficult to find any in the UK or US... (Yes, I have now found Counter and think it is really great).

At the moment I may have an opportunity to work with someone else to bring a new magazine to the market with a focus on gaming - covering boardgames, cardgames, RPGs, and some online (MMORPGs I think).

We are thinking of doing this as a quarterly release initially, probably around 100 full colour pages an issue, and selling for around $4.45 an issue (or $15/yr). If the demand is sufficient, this can then move to a bi-monthly and perhaps monthly release schedule.

I am interested to find out what appetite there is for a new magazine in this area, and I welcome any feedback and thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking now is not the best time to start a new print venture. Much less one with a very small target audience.

But what do I know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
I'm thinking now is not the best time to start a new print venture. Much less one with a very small target audience.

But what do I know?

Hi Mistah,

On the face of it, I would agree with you... however the boardgame industry seems to be doing well (based on some discussions I had in Essen with publishers/ retailers) in the current economic climate. Some put this down to the price of buying a boardgame or two, compared to going on a family holiday. That said, buying the game, and buying a magazine about games is very different...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jardine
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
I would welcome a well designed publication focusing on family games.

I'd prefer that you save on printing, mailing and distribution costs and make it exclusively available online. I'd pay 15 euros / year for access to high quality writing including interviews with designers, etc.

I wouldn't be interested in a publication that strayed very far away from family board games though (eg. I'm not much interested in video games at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjardine wrote:
I would welcome a well designed publication focusing on family games.

I'd prefer that you save on printing, mailing and distribution costs and make it exclusively available online. I'd pay 15 euros / year for access to high quality writing including interviews with designers, etc.

I wouldn't be interested in a publication that strayed very far away from family board games though (eg. I'm not much interested in video games at all).

Thanks Kevin,

We are considering having an option for an emagazine and/or a printed one. There is something nice about having a hardcopy to flip through, although you could also do a print-at-home, I guess...

As for content, I have a young kid (7 year old) and there would definitely be a section in each issue focusing on games for families. The interest in broadening this out for RPG and online interests, is to try overcome some of the risk in a new publication, and spread the interest across different niche groups.

I am glad you raised the online emagazine option, as that definitely helps in our thinking here.

Thanks again.
Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jardine
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
For niche publications, I think that the age of the printed publication may be coming to an end. As it is, I already have far too much paper to throw away. Moreover, I would much rather pay for good writers than paper and snail mail.

One of the advantages of the online model is that you could easily segment content based on interest so I wouldn't have to skip all the articles on RPGs or MMORPGS, for example.

I wanted to push you on the online model a bit because these days even large mainstream newspapers are going under - not because people no longer want news, but because newspapers (and paper magazines) are not a very convenient way to get news compared to online options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in the magazine business. Do not get into the print magazine business. Kevin is correct, the print media age (at least for magazines) is going to be coming to an end. Unless you can provide content and premiums that your readers couldn't possibly get online stick with the online model. The only type of magazines that seem to be coming out right now are one's targeted for non-internet savvy audiences. Will there be magazines in 10 years? absolutely. Will there be nearly as many as there are today? None by a longshot. Once the media publishers figure out what their online business model is and really get that up and running you will see even less being published on paper.

If you want to supply meaningful content, do it online. Otherwise I fear you would be just sinking your money into something you will never see a return on.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pay $15/yr for a games magazine. I subscribed to PC Gamer and CGM for over 10 years, and I enjoyed reading about those games in a magazine form. I could take it with me to lunch, to the bathroom, read it in the car. That was a selling point for me.

You would never achieve the same kind of content coverage that BGG has. But if you add in plenty of pictures, reviews on all types of games, and have interesting interviews, I'd buy it!

Unfortunately, I would never invest in such a venture in this day and age.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin, Daniel and Michael.

I think the argument for an emagazine is compelling. Perhaps one approach to meet the trend and provide a printed format, is to offer the quarterly release as an emagazine, with an annual collection of articles in print at a premium...

This is all very useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
I work in the magazine business. Do not get into the print magazine business. Kevin is correct, the print media age (at least for magazines) is going to be coming to an end. Unless you can provide content and premiums that your readers couldn't possibly get online stick with the online model. The only type of magazines that seem to be coming out right now are one's targeted for non-internet savvy audiences. Will there be magazines in 10 years? absolutely. Will there be nearly as many as there are today? None by a longshot. Once the media publishers figure out what their online business model is and really get that up and running you will see even less being published on paper.

If you want to supply meaningful content, do it online. Otherwise I fear you would be just sinking your money into something you will never see a return on.

LA

Unless it'll be a cheap, small print-run or a product for a niche inside a niche market. Otherwise you're perfectly right.

It's hard to gain an audience who likes or is interested in EVERY article or theme covered in a print magazine so they might possibly buy it. Plus it has to be information which can't be obtained online, too! And nicely presented (artwork, layout, writing style, etc.).

Sad but true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would just update you on how things have progressed since this thread was posted.

We have decided to focus our efforts on producing a high quality digital magazine and we are in the process of identifying potential content providers to deliver interesting and engaging content.

The feedback here, and via direct contact, has been very useful and much appreciated. Thank you!

I will update you further as things develop.

Oh - and if there are any aspiring content providers who would be interested in getting involved, please do drop me a message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.