Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Tonini
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmb
There something I don't understand about some quests.

For exemple: defend the border.

- I put from my hand a unit on this quest.
- For 3 turns, one of the resources I get, goes on the quest.
- After three turns, the quest is "active".

QUESTIONS:

1) Can I remove the unit in some way, and reap the benefit from that point on without having to spend any more resources? The card states that only the number of resources, and not the presence of a unit, on it decides if the action is "active" or not.
2) More generally: can I stop a unit from questing on a quest in some way?

Thanks,

Shard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that if a questing unit is removed the accumulated resources on the quest card go with it as well. Also, the resources come from the pool and not from your Kingdom phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Reichenau
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also not exactly clear on Quests, but I do know that the resource that goes on a quest does not come out of your gained resources for the turn.

Here's the quote from the rulebook:

These resource tokens come from the pool in the cen-
tre of the playing area, and are not subtracted from
the resources a player collects during the kingdom
phase. Resource tokens on a quest card cannot be
used for anything other than the effects of that card.

What I'm not clear on is if there's a way to send a unit already in your quest zone on a quest. From the rulebook, it doesn't look like it, since the only way to send a unit on a quest is to play it from your hand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For 3 turns, one of the resources I get, goes on the quest.

Yes a resource token goes onto the quest, but it is not included in the resources you receive in the Kingdom phase. It is an extra resource allocated to that card directly from the pool. From the rule book under Sending A Unit On A Quest, page 11:
"These resource tokens come from the pool in the centre of the playing area, and are not subtracted from the resources a player collects during the kingdom phase."

Quote:
1) Can I remove the unit in some way, and reap the benefit from that point on without having to spend any more resources? The card states that only the number of resources, and not the presence of a unit, on it decides if the action is "active" or not.

I don't know about removing and keeping them in play, but if they leave play, no. The rule book also states on page 11 that:
"If the questing unit leaves play for any reason the, quest card remains in play but all resource tokens accumulated on that quest card are discarded, and returned to the pool in the centre of the table."

Quote:
2)More generally: can I stop a unit from questing on a quest in some way?

This is an interesting question. There are cards that allow you to move a unit to any zone during certain points in a phase. Since these units aren't leaving play technically the resources gained on the card would not be lost but, under the same section on page 11 it says:
"A questing unit allows resource tokens to be accumulated on the quest, and once the specified number of resources have been accumulated on a quest, its effect can be utilised by its controller."

Of course people seem to interpret it two ways, that a unit allows accumulation of resources AND utilisation of the effect or that the unit is only needed for the accumulation and not for the effect. FF probably will have to address this in a FAQ or something before everyone agrees, but I personally play that the unit has to be on the quest to use the effect. The reason is it just feels like that is what is meant to be. For this card, Defend the Border, I like to think that the traveling to the border from the capital is represented in the accumulation of the 3 tokens, and the use of the effect is that unit actually at the border, hacking and slashing in defense of my awesome nation. If that unit leaves the quest, in my mind it has left the border, not stopping anything from getting through and that extra point of damage is no longer prevented. I just feel it fits the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I entirely agree with you, Binipped. I think that the counters are used on quests as timers. Obviously, it's always helpful to try to attempt quests, as the unit on a quest can defend the zone if needed, while still getting to accumulate resource tokens/activate the quest effect. It's a win-win situation.

Once the unit leaves the quest, I would say the tokens are also removed, without the unit having to leave play.

Two of my favourites for the role of playing quests are:
* The High Elf guy who heals one HP each turn.
* The Empire archers.

As a side note, what do you guys think of playing cards as developments? I think I will play one every turn, to maximise my capital's HP, to benefit from a variety of support cards, and to avoid nasty effects such as 'Judgement of Verena'. The only drawback is I'll need to speed up my card intake somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 6 or 7 games so far and I can honestly say I am far from developing a "winning strategy". The only thing I make sure to have is at least 5 power in my Kingdom to gain 5 resources, and to have at least 2 power in quest zone so that I can draw 2 cards. I find that I play developments almost as an after thought in most cases, unless I have a card in hand/play that directly benefits from it. This probably isn't the smartest way to play but I am still nailing this game down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Echtalion wrote:
As a side note, what do you guys think of playing cards as developments? I think I will play one every turn, to maximise my capital's HP, to benefit from a variety of support cards, and to avoid nasty effects such as 'Judgement of Verena'. The only drawback is I'll need to speed up my card intake somehow.

It totally depends on which deck you are playing with. Empire/Dwarf get lots of benefits from having development so it's well worth playing one every turn.

My fast Ork deck gets absolute no benefit from them at all except the capital HP benefit. Frankly I'd rather get more units on the table quicker and swamp my opponent before he can build up any defences, development cards are usually a waste in this example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules stated in the book do not require you to remove resources from a Quest unless the questing unit is removed from play, but FFG has already rules that if a unit leaves the quest in any fashion the resources reset.

So no, there is no way to gain the use of an active quest and then remove the questing unit and still benefit from the quest. Empire can move guys from one area to another both theirs and their opponents. I believe they may have the only cards which could actively stop a quest without killing the questing unit.

Presently the only way to make a questing unit out of a unit in play, is to return it to your hand and play it again. I could see at some point a card that lets you get around this in some fashion (allowing you to return the unit to hand and immediately play on a vacant quest for instance), but there is currently nothing like it in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darke wrote:
Echtalion wrote:

It totally depends on which deck you are playing with. Empire/Dwarf get lots of benefits from having development so it's well worth playing one every turn.

My fast Ork deck gets absolute no benefit from them at all except the capital HP benefit. Frankly I'd rather get more units on the table quicker and swamp my opponent before he can build up any defences, development cards are usually a waste in this example.

Hi Darke,
I still remember your Orcs angry I played Dwarves and there's definitely a difference in their respective approach to managing/playing cards. I still have to play with Chaos/Orcs, but I may wait until the Skavenblight battle pack is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Echtalion wrote:
Hi Darke,
I still remember your Orcs angry I played Dwarves and there's definitely a difference in their respective approach to managing/playing cards. I still have to play with Chaos/Orcs, but I may wait until the Skavenblight battle pack is released.

That was definitely the closest fight of the day, once those stunties are dug in it's tough to shift them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.