Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Vogt
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of this with my friend and his youngest son. The game was easy to set up and the pegs and board are easy to understand and remind one a little bit of cribbage. The dice are nice too, except one of ours had one side unprinted (should have had the coin).

The rules are easy to read, understand, and interpret. The score sheet is very well laid out, and has everything you need to play, and also to score VP as well.

I let my strategy for the game develop based really on the dice rolls. I decided not to re-roll for a specific goal in mind, other than to make sure I had enough food. If I ended up with a lot of workers, I made a lot of construction moves. If I ended up with a lot of coins, I made development purchases. And obviously, if I ended up with a lot of goods, I maximized the peg moving up the chain.

I led the game until the very last turn when my friend was lucky enough to get 3 skull and crossbones gave his son and I pestillence, and at the same time he maxed out his masonry track to buy the last development, empire, which gave him 7 more VP (one for each city). This 10-point shift was more than enough and he won by 6 points.

I liked the game a lot, as it has a lot of different strategies/goals to pursue. I think the best way to go is to go with what you throw, and not re-roll much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.