Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend was great. I went to 2 great shows (Kevin Smith and U2), and even got in a little gaming!

The U2 show was an all-day affair with tail-gating galore all day long! I brought along Ra: The Dice Game and Endeavor. We had played Ra before, but this was our first shot at Endeavor.

We set up in the back of the SUV, as we had forgot to bring chairs and a table! There wasn't a lot of room, and it wasn't very comfortable, and it was HOT! But we managed ok.

I had read through the rules a couple of times and explained it to Jan, and off we went.

We missed several rules playing through that first round (switching starting players being the main one. Jan didn't like it that I was always the starting player and always got the best picks!)

I won by a healthy margin, and we had opened up 3 of the colonies as well as having gained all of the medetarainian cards, several of the slavery cards, and several of the cards in the opened colonies. That seems like a lot of action in a 2P game, and it was.

We played again in our hotel the next morning, and it was a much friendlier environment. So now for the rules that we hadn't caught the day before:

Didn't read it clearly enough that there were x/x actions and x+x actions. I thought all were this AND that.

Also, didn't read it carefully enough that when you have to discard a card, you have to drop your progress accordingly.

My early game was focused more on gaining the cities in the Med and the shipping tokens between them, then I focused on shipping. I think I can tighten that strategy up a bit and make sure I'm very well aware of the currently available tokens on the shipping tracks, taking the ones I need. I found toward the end-game there were several places I had to take a hit on shipping because the only available space had a token that I was already maxed out on. I think it is also important to be aware of where you are on the progress bars early in the game. It was only at the end of the game that I really cared which progress bars I was filling, and coordinating that with which cities and shipping tracks I was taking.

In this game I won again but only by about 13 points.

I think this game was enjoyable with 2 players, but I think it will really shine with 3 or 4 players. There were too many times when I didn't want to take the next-to-last shipping token because then Jan would get it on her action... and I wanted the Govoner card! I suppose that dilema will still exist, but I don't think it will be as prominent with more players.

I also think that attacking may be a bit too costly. Unless you are using a blue token, you have to put a bit on the building, then trash a bit, and finally put your bit on the board replacing their bit. definately more of an end-game action when you have more population. I guess it is something that becomes more relevant with more players.

In the end I really like the game, but I for sure want to play through a full round without finding out I've missed something in the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more the merrier
Glad to hear 2 players is fun. 3 is OK, 4 is great and pacy, but 5 is brilliantly cut throat. See if you can train up some people and aim for 5!

I'm likely going to moderate an Endeavor forum game, but the bad news is that the time zone thing (probably) kills California for a participant. Placing moves at 1AM is hard enough, but I can't see me trying to update as well at that hour; I'm 25 years too old for that sort of thing, sorry. Try and get onto a US moderated one; it is a great arena.

On the other hand, if I hadn't checked your location I wouldn't have spotted your home town. Great name. All the best,

(Mister) Alan Beaumont.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Gray
New Zealand
Upper Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also try the 2p variant that we are testing on here.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/437708

Glad you enjoyed it. The things that you say regarding attacking and shipping tracks are why the game isn't listed as a 2 player game. The variant tries to address these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why, but I didn't even put it together that this game was supposed to be 3-5p! Thanks for the info... now I'll have to try it out with the variant and see how that works. It sounds interesting for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Complete & Sufficient Statistician
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to trying the 2-player variant. I've played this with 3 and 5 players. 5-player is very fun. 3, not so much. So, I was weary of playing it with 2, but hopefully the variant will fix this.

You won ONLY by about 13 points? I think every game I've played was even closer. We have even tied before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.