Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan Peabody
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Curious about this game and wonder how good the re-playability is. Does it have different scenarios and changing terrain or anything to make it not feeling like playing same thing again and again? Appreciate input! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No it does not.

However, the hand of cards you are dealt prior to the first move, and the vagaries of the dice you roll each turn to determine what you can do, tend to make how the game plays out, different each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the cards come out, the dice roll, as well as the varying strategies I think make the replayability just fine. That being said, I don't get to play it that much due to length and interest level amongst my game group.

Still, for the few games I have played, I've enjoyed every one and look forward to my next one.

I think Battles of the Third Age adds specific scenarios, although I have not played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Peabody
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
About how long are the games, I have seen in reviews from 1-3 hours, what has been your experience? Also I notice FFG says it is unavailable, but I see copies in online retailers shops, is it being discontinued because of new collectors edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between two and four hours is probably the average game time. The Collector's Edition is a very limited run, and it will not replace the standard edition. If FFG is out of stock, it's probably just time for a new print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Peabody
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
◖▸ ⓒ ⓐ ⓛ ⓔ ◂◗
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Replayability's very good. It's not a game with a wide variety of completely different strategies that could be implemented from session to session, but the narrative, cards/dice and tuning make this one a joy to replay. The game's almost always a photo finish either way, usually lending to a long post-game analysis about the critical moments of the session. I very, very much enjoy this one and consider it one of my two current favorites.

Game time is generally around 2-3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to worry about replayability. Unless it's played very intensely with the same people over and over, the many choices and different strategies will keep you occupied. And, there is of course the expansion which changes the game quite a bit (ie offers new opportunities).

I wouldn't say game time is anywhere near 2 hours, but that might say more about me than the game itself. =) 3-5 hours is the time we use when we play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cale wrote:
Replayability's very good. It's not a game with a wide variety of completely different strategies that could be implemented from session to session, but the narrative, cards/dice and tuning make this one a joy to replay.

This. I've played this game maybe ten times, but every game had a different narrative going on.

About game length, last time I played it took 8 hours......but that was an exceptionally epic game that lasted over 20 turns. And we ate in between. And we both were totally paralyzed in analyzing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I played two of my latest games in under 2 hours, with 2-3 being normal. If both players know what they're doing and at least one plays aggressively, it can be over very quickly.

On the other hand, if you're new to the game, play very defensively and are prone to analysis-paralysis, the game easily tops the 5 hour mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the base game, there is no changing terrain or different scenarios, but I feel there is a great deal of replayability.

People have mentioned that the game changes depending on which cards are drawn and dice thrown. Additionally, the game feels and plays very differently whether you are playing the Free people or the Shadow armies. The other thing I noticed was that after playing for a while, I was trying new things and not always going with the tried and true strategies.

I average two to three games per month. I'd play more if my schedule didn't interfere. For a while, I was playing at least once a week. Even though I play against the same person each time, every session is a new experience.

As far as game length, ours average 90 minutes. Mind you, the very first game we played took at least 8 hours, or second 4 hours, and our third game ran about 2 hours. By then, we had a good grasp of the rules and weren't referring to the rule book every other action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've played minimum 200 times, and Magic Geek is still bitching at me to go explore underutilized play lines, effectively calling me a noob. The action dice are the ultimate in terms of creating replayability. Eventually, after 30-100 plays, you'll want to buy the expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
Look, if you are unwilling to explore the concept of Dol Amroth setting off for Mt Gundabad from the start of the game I just do not believe you are going to see it happen.

Replayability is not really a problem.

Chess has very little in the way of terrain, or set up options.
Seems OK with replay.

Buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
magic gecko wrote:
Look, if you are unwilling to explore the concept of Dol Amroth setting off for Mt Gundabad from the start of the game I just do not believe you are going to see it happen.

This is the strategy I am going to use next time I play, the wife will never see it coming!

sauron sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
magic gecko wrote:

This is the strategy I am going to use next time I play, the wife will never see it coming!

sauron sauron

Cmon guys, everyone uses that strategy.

Try "Dwarven Do South and South and East" for a real challenge. Muster up the Dwarves in Ered Luin. This will confuse your opponent. Then send them to Mordor via Gondor...swiftly taking out Minas Morgul and Barad-Dur for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That strategy sort of works like this

Note: Skip ahead to 0:46

As you can see, it works really well when they're not expecting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
That strategy sort of works like this

Note: Skip ahead to 0:46

As you can see, it works really well when they're not expecting it.

Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.