J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Webnard wrote:
I don’t want to just buy games anymore: I want to buy games I will play. And I want to purge the games that I won’t.

I took and am taking the reverse approach. I decide upon what games I want to play and then I change my social circle, friends and gaming groups until I'm successfully playing the games I want to play. Then as I decide on new games to play, I do it all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mail games to

Bippi c/0
1752 ....
Aurora, CO 80013

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way you went and figured it all out. I think I may use your same numbers to thin out what I have as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I was in Rockford just this past weekend. You could have dumped your unwanted games on me and I could have recycled them for you!

I admire your initiative. I too am trying to make more intelligent game buying decisions, as in not buying games that won't get played. The bad economy and tight budget makes the discipline a lot easier in that regard. I still have enough room that I don't need to unload any. I also have the fear that if I do get rid of something I'll regret it for the rest of my life...

Keep us posted on your efforts down the road. It sounds like a noble experiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hence why I only trade games and hardly buy anything anymore. I come to the DeKalb area on certain occasions. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet up for a game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually did a similar calculation. But then I realized that there were games that don't get played because a) I'm waiting for my kids to be old enough to enjoy them, b) I use them to lure people into the hobby even though they are not my favorites, or c) I keep holding out hope that my wife will start playing more with me again once we get into the new house and the kids start going to bed at a reasonable hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be easier to get rid of the wife?!?!? Just kidding (been married for 30 years myself). Life does not lend itself to mathematics. Life does not bring joy automatically. The game you grow tired of today will be a treasured Classic down the road (just look at my collection of SPI, AH and VG titles for example!). Even if they are not currently being played - you will regret letting go of a favored game down the road. If tired of looking at it - lovingly box it - place it in a safe dry storage area and wait - you'll find it again years later and not regret for one minute hanging onto that treasure of your gaming past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My word's but a whisper, your deafness a shout."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

I took and am taking the reverse approach. I decide upon what games I want to play and then I change my social circle, friends and gaming groups until I'm successfully playing the games I want to play. Then as I decide on new games to play, I do it all over again.

That's what I've always done too. Except that I tend toward reclusiveness, so I make very little effort to find opponents. Instead, I look for ways to play games solitaire or on the computer, then occasionally ask my wife if she wants to play a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Webnard wrote:
(I recently asked geeks to give ideas on teaching Sunken City and not zero responses!)

That's too bad, because Sunken City is a pretty cool little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you imagine how great the trading would be if everyone did this? Talk about a supply shock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Patrick Carroll wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

That's what I've always done too. Except that I tend toward reclusiveness, so I make very little effort to find opponents. Instead, I look for ways to play games solitaire or on the computer, then occasionally ask my wife if she wants to play a game.

Me too, except I still can't find any so-called friends who will even try The Civil War.

After my wife's repeated refusals, I kicked her out.

Now, the dog mans the union batteries- less chatter, and he shoots a damn sight better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Webnard wrote:
(I recently asked geeks to give ideas on teaching Sunken City and not zero responses!)

That's too bad, because Sunken City is a pretty cool little game.

"Pretty cool" is not good enough if you are talking about paring down 150 games to a manageable number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting that 69 is your optimal number of games. Back when I first made the decision to slow down acquisition and begin selling off games, I was around the 50-60 mark. I have been hovering around that number for at least two years. My actual games owned is slightly higher than that, but I do not count games that I have resigned to be sold or traded away, and will never be played again.

So I totally agree that somewhere around 60 games is the optimal number for someone who games 1-2 days a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My word's but a whisper, your deafness a shout."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Me too, except I still can't find any so-called friends who will even try The Civil War.

Well, next time I'm in your area . . .

I used to run a wargaming club not too far from you, and you'd have been most welcome to bring The Civil War to one of our monthly get-togethers in Livermore. But that was . . . let's see . . . way back in 1973 or so. You don't do time travel, do you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you. I try to do the same thing as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might sound crazy but... Just don't buy anything else from now on. Keep what you have, don't agonize about getting rid of games. After all, you're right, you may want to play them someday, even if it's not this year. Anything you already have is a sunk cost. If you trade them, that's more money down the drain in shipping fees. If you sell them, you probably won't get back what you originally paid for them. So that's money lost too.

Keep your 150 games, and consider that to be a lifetime's worth of games. (Of course, if there are any "disasters" in the collection that you HATE... try selling them). The real discipline is not getting rid of them, but resisting the urge to buy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't argue that the games are a "sunk cost" while at the same time arguing that selling unwanted games is a waste since you won't recover your original costs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rutledge
United States
Springfield
PA
flag msg tools
You can always do what alton brown does for cooking gadgets. Figure out a time frame, I think he uses six months. All of the games that you played in six months you get to keep. The games that you didn't play in those six months, get another six months. If you play those then great, if not get rid of them. Otherwise they are just taking up space. The second six months is so that you are aware of what games you are not playing, and if there is a game you really want to keep you will make sure to play it once so you can. If you can't play it or didn't play it in a year let it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently started doing the same thing, but I don't have a specific number in mind. Instead, I'm just trying to trade more, and buy less (or not at all). When the new games come out, I'm trying to get my friends to buy them instead. So far it's working out.

I own 143 games, and 68 are available for trade.

Some games I'm happy to keep, even if i only play them once every 5 years, such as Die Macher and Millionenspiel.

If anyone wants to trade, send the requests my way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LimboLance wrote:
Life does not lend itself to mathematics.
No, life is on loan from mathematics. Everything fits a model in one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You are turning a hobby into a chore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy for you that you hit this epiphany and its working out for you.

I'm 31 and know where you're coming from. As an avid video/arcade game enthusiast. I hit a point where I have dozens of movies and video games unplayed and unwatched because I have no time for it. When I did play I felt guilty since I really should be spending that time with my wife.

Soooo... I planned date nights every weekend and themed game nights every other weekend. Some of the dates relate to game night themes and some of the themes relate to holidays, events, and movie/vg releases. Example we went to a medieval festival in NY and the game night before we played Shadows over Camelot and watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Planning was relatively easy as I look at events during calendar year, live near NYC so google whats happening when, and used comingsoon.net for movie releases.

My wife was concerned since I was getting so many games but since we are playing them and they are social (unlike my video games) she sees the value in them. I plan to get about 60 games and in 2011 perhaps just expansions or and a handful of upcoming titles but don't see myself collecting and not playing as I was with video games.

I'm glad you hit a point where you can have your cake and eat it too

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrmpf. Reading this thread after staring at our dinner table that still has all my Essen buys on it made me feel really bad.... Methinks you hit the nail on the head for a lot of us

So I'll stop surfing the Geek now and finally make some room for them. Somewhere in our house.
And then I'll go over my collection and think about what I should add to my trade pile and how to get rid off it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection is part of the hobby for me, so I don't mind getting new games and not playing them for awhile. I'm sure at some point in my life, I'll play everything I have at least once...that's good enough for me. However, this approach would never work for others in the hobby.

There still has to be a reasonable level, though, even in collecting. So, I buy one game a month. This feeds the collection part of the hobby for me, while still being able to manage 12 games a year. I don't know how long I'll do this, but it has worked well over the last year or so.

The other aspect for me is not knowing what I'll feel like playing in a few years...not to mention what my kids will want to play. Just a few years ago, I decided that Heroscape wasn't working for my five-year old son and stopped buying figures and terrain sets for us. A few months ago, the now seven-year old found it in the basement and we've been playing regular games. I wish I had been buying those sets because they are much more expensive and hard to find now. (This is especially true since WOTC picked up the line and big boxes don't carry it anymore.)

So, if I see a game I think will be a good edition to the collection, I weigh the immediate cash price against possible payoff down the line. Again, I don't need to play the games within a certain timeframe, so this works for me and I get enjoyment from the hobby this way. If you are looking to play most of the games you have and aren't so much interested in the "collecting" aspect, your plan would be better.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.