Subject: Strategy Request - how to deal with a troll-charge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Loesing
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dear defenders,

I'm looking for some advice here. What happens if your opponent manages to place enough trolls in the first two turns that despite any traps and similar, there are four trolls on the left wall without cauldrons by turn 4 - and a ballista aimed at you?

Assuming there are shields protecting the trolls from missile fire, and most of the pathes are built over with bridges, what's the best strategy to deal with the trolls?

If the ballista hits, there are two soldiers defending - going for 6 points with the two walls. Using the Holy Sniper will have 9 points placed against 6... and bringing in the Warrior costs 4 action points that probably won't be available at this stage (1 to move him, 3 to kill another troll).

How does one stop a "troll-charge" unless relying on a very lucky hit from a pole or cannon?

Continously casting the Blessing is also costing too many Action points...

As long as there's goblins and orcs around I can sweep off with my poles and cannons, I do fine. But I find myself without a clue of how to deal with a pure troll-charge.

Any pointers would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörgen Olsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once so far, but I managed to survive an assault with 5 trolls by using the church sniper, troll cauldrons and the warrior hero. I also had a pole but it missed the swing.

Veteran units also work, but they might fall victim to the Accident ritual if you use troll cauldrons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiktor Pucek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
use your officer (+1 to every unit at this wall section) + speech for 1 hourglass and it is 9vs.9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VexingVision wrote:
If the ballista hits, there are two soldiers defending - going for 6 points with the two walls. Using the Holy Sniper will have 9 points placed against 6...

Being down 9 to 6 won't result in a breach at least. You'll lose both soldiers, but the wall will survive. Even 10 to 6 would be okay. And remember, 2 units get saved by the Hospital, so they very well may not even die.

The methods described (Warrior, Officer, Snipe) are good options though. Also consider swapping in a Veteran or two (switching places only costs 1 hourglass each) if you have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiktor Pucek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
but if they are far on the other wall section it costs more that 1 hourglass.
But as you said, they wont breach. This is important

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL Meseguer
Spain
flag msg tools
VexingVision wrote:

If the ballista hits, there are two soldiers defending - going for 6 points with the two walls. Using the Holy Sniper will have 9 points placed against 6... and bringing in the Warrior costs 4 action points that probably won't be available at this stage (1 to move him, 3 to kill another troll).

Remember that if a ballista shoots against a wall section with an ongoing melee and hits, then the attacker will also lose his strongest unit... this means that the ballista will probably shoot another wall section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Loesing
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
cogollo wrote:

Remember that if a ballista shoots against a wall section with an ongoing melee and hits, then the attacker will also lose his strongest unit... this means that the ballista will probably shoot another wall section.

This is the one point that was killing me as a Defender - we simply didn't find this one in the rules at first. In our previous games, the Ballista was able to pick off highpowered units out of the melee-zones - with predictable results!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm beginning to think that it's pretty difficult to win as the Invader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL Meseguer
Spain
flag msg tools
VexingVision wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I'm beginning to think that it's pretty difficult to win as the Invader.

I also agree it seems easier to defend, because you only need to react to what the attacker is doing, so small errors of the Invader at the beginning can mean a lot towards the end...

I would suggest letting the beginner player play as the defender first. When both players are experienced, the game seems a bit tough on the Invader, so I was thinking to give the Invader one more GP at the beginning (but only if I see the Invader consistently beaten, so it's still a bit early for me to say).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I think ballista shots are probably worth it due to the attrition they cause. Any unit hit by a ballista is removed from the game. It doesn't go to the hospital and thus reduces the total amount of units that the defender has available for the rest of the game. So I think a lot of times it will be worthwhile. You have tons of more units coming out. They do not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calderwood Speer
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
Any unit hit by a ballista is removed from the game.

Uh, no. The rulebook clearly states that they are "killed", not removed from the game. All killed units on the Defender's side go to the Hospital. (And, I agree, it should have said wounded or something.

I can see how it can be interpreted that way. Unfortunately when you read other sections of the rulebook (e.g. Melee Strength Calculation), they all say "killed" too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ONLY the melee loses, at the wall section battles, for the defender goes to hospital all other loses (balistas, catapults, goblin archers etc.) removed from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
Bitzaloid wrote:
doubtofbuddha wrote:
Any unit hit by a ballista is removed from the game.

Uh, no. The rulebook clearly states that they are "killed", not removed from the game. All killed units on the Defender's side go to the Hospital. (And, I agree, it should have said wounded or something.

I can see how it can be interpreted that way. Unfortunately when you read other sections of the rulebook (e.g. Melee Strength Calculation), they all say "killed" too.

The rulebook is total crap, this is clarified in the faq. Balista hits = out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
"Somewhere over the rainbow..."
mbmbmbmbmb
The defender always responds after the invader makes a play.

I think in order to make this game a little more balanced there needs to be a turn order. Say for example I spend men in order to create the "Wind Gust" it would be good if the defender has to spend his resources before he sees where I place it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeaniknik wrote:
The defender always responds after the invader makes a play.

I think in order to make this game a little more balanced there needs to be a turn order. Say for example I spend men in order to create the "Wind Gust" it would be good if the defender has to spend his resources before he sees where I place it.

...I agree! We played 4 games so far and we both are "seasoned" gamers... how do the Invaders have a chance!?!??! What are we missing? It seems too easy to react to what the invaders are doing...!

Of course, more plays are needed to confirm this but as a variant, wouldn't it be cool if somehow you would do all the invader's orders but instead of putting the actions into play just "declare" what you were doing...(you are building a catapult, you are Dispatching twice, etc) then the Defenders would secretly assign the hourglasses (maybe the Attacker player would leave the room for a moment)- and when you are done, cover the orders in the castle (somehow) and have the Invader carry out the orders...as normal.

you know he built a catapult but, don't know where he will deploy it... you know he build a shield but didn't know which wall it was going to be put by.... something to that nature...

After he is done, you reveal your allocated hourglasses and carry out your turn as normal....

Something to that effect! (just throwing some ideas out there!) This way you are anticipating something but don't know exactly what... would make it more intense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.