Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb

Two questions:

1) Why was the woman walking through his property with her young child so early?
2) Will this charge follow him on record?

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just don't know what to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The police say they believe he wanted to expose himself. If the lawyer commenting on the case is correct (and he's not the defendant's lawyer so presumably he doesn't have an axe to grind), they will have to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt, which seems unlikely given the hour and the fact that he was visible from his yard rather than, say, from the street.

If they have some evidence that supports this claim, that's one thing. If this is really the first time anything has come up, I can't understand how he could be convicted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think both UK and US laws on public nudity cover "in public view" rather than on public property. I am pretty sure you don't have the right to expose yourself to someone from your own property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well -- if I were him, I would invest in some "No Trespassing" signs. Then, he could bring charges against the mom for being on his property at 5 in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Penis should be forbidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't she have covered her daughter's eyes instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GazPAge wrote:
I think both UK and US laws on public nudity cover "in public view" rather than on public property. I am pretty sure you don't have the right to expose yourself to someone from your own property.

True, but there have to be limits. Clearly if someone is using a telescope to look through my window from a distance they a) have bad taste and b) are the ones breaking the law.

When I first saw the clip I thought the people who saw him were walking by his house on the sidewalk. Even at 5:30am, if your kitchen has an open view on the sidewalk you have to pull the drapes if you want to walk around naked. But if they saw him from his own yard that seems sketchy to say the least. (It could be that his yard is essentially a public right-of-way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't mean to claim much understanding of the laws, so clearly there is some interpretation on what counts as public. I am not sure if it has to be visible with the naked eye or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charge them with Trespassing!

Also, why the hell would you call the police for that? Normal people would just avert their eyes and keep walking.

So, the woman should be an adult.

Also, you think a 7 year old boy has never seen a penis before?

Ever gone to the gym or a swimming pool or a locker room?

Or looked down?
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you blast people trespassing on your property with a shotty? If they rolled past my window the day after calling the cops on me, I'd pop the woman and wing the boy (just to be sure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Can't you blast people trespassing on your property with a shotty? If they rolled past my window the day after calling the cops on me, I'd pop the woman and wing the boy (just to be sure).

I do not believe you can do this at all without facing murder charges.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One layman's thought - the video mentioned this was a front window. If he was visible from the street, I bet it sticks. If his front window is blocked from view to the ordinary passer-by, I bet it doesn't. I can see the law distinguishing between being naked in your own home and being naked in your own home where the neighborhood can clearly see you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
I don't know about you guys but I always hang out naked at 5:30am hoping someone is trespassing on my lawn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
One layman's thought - the video mentioned this was a front window. If he was visible from the street, I bet it sticks. If his front window is blocked from view to the ordinary passer-by, I bet it doesn't. I can see the law distinguishing between being naked in your own home and being naked in your own home where the neighborhood can clearly see you...

So can I, but even so they have to demonstrate intent. There's only so much we can know from a short new clip -- the police apparently think he wanted to be seen and a D.A. gave them the go-ahead to pursue it. Maybe there's a history here that we haven't heard about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
So can I, but even so they have to demonstrate intent.

I'm not a lawyer so there's a better than even chance that I'm wrong, but I'm not buying that. There's plenty of laws/ordinances that don't require intent for a violation to occur. Speeding, for example.

The opinion he gives seems to say that I could sunbathe nude on my porch in VA in public view and not be guilty unless my intent was for people to see me nude. That seems incorrect. Perhaps the fact that he was in his home changes things, but it would be odd if it did for something like indecent exposure.

As you say, it's a relatively brief clip, and there's a lot we don't know. But I do know that one can break a law (even a criminal one) without intent and be found guilty of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

-M

You ain't from Texas are you boy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
malloc wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

-M

You ain't from Texas are you boy?

Not just Texas. As of two years ago, anyone in Missouri can claim that someone trespassing seemed threatening, and shoot them in the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

You gotta protect your meth lab after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
The opinion he gives seems to say that I could sunbathe nude on my porch in VANH in public view and not be guilty unless my intent was for people to see me nude.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tragic enough, my next door neighbor was arrested, and convicted (IIRC) for just this same offense.

Except he was upstairs... in his bedroom... and there was no child involved.
Our busybody interfering 50+ year old neighbor woman was looking in on him from her home behind his backyard.

She's a good 150 feet away and would probably have to have binoculars (or else my neighbor's junk was so big it could be seen on Google Maps), but not only was he convicted, but he lost his job as maintenance for a school district.

I'm still baffled/disturbed at the precedent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuck. I am closing my kitchen window, plants be damned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtains, people! Curtains. Technology is your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

You gotta protect your meth lab after all...

This is Hutto, not Round Rock; where the RR'ians say "meff lab", for want of teeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.