Ed 'Stock
United States
Unspecified
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing some two person 1856 just to get the rules figured out before we play a 'real' game with 3+ players. I've read the rules many times and have a couple questions on some nuances of the game.

1) If a stock marker is on a right edge of the stock board where the 'up' arrows are, and someone sells 10% percent, which direction does the stock marker go? Does it go one left and one down since you can't go directly down?

2) I assume that due to the track laying rule that a 'train of infinite length' must be able to 'trace a legal route from a station to the location of newly placed track' that this means you cannot lay track into an off board location and then back out from another point at the same off board location (ie - going to and then returning from an off board location). Is this a correct assumption?

3) The rules state, 'In each operating round, all eligible companies operate.' Could I choose to start a company, never create a valid route for it to operate, and use it's money just to buy trains that I could sell to one of my other companies for just $1? Since the company isn't actually operating, would it never be subject to the pay/withhold dividend rule and never have an impact to it's share price?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) If a stock marker is on a right edge of the stock board where the 'up' arrows are, and someone sells 10% percent, which direction does the stock marker go? Does it go one left and one down since you can't go directly down?

No, it doesn't move. The bottom of each column marks a floor for the stock at that point, so getting the stock as far as possible to the right helps prevent a total loss of value when/if people dump the stock.

Quote:
2) I assume that due to the track laying rule that a 'train of infinite length' must be able to 'trace a legal route from a station to the location of newly placed track' that this means you cannot lay track into an off board location and then back out from another point at the same off board location (ie - going to and then returning from an off board location). Is this a correct assumption?

Correct. With the exception of Gooderich, which is a red space with entrances and exits. I believe this is specifically addressed in the rules.

Quote:

3) The rules state, 'In each operating round, all eligible companies operate.' Could I choose to start a company, never create a valid route for it to operate, and use it's money just to buy trains that I could sell to one of my other companies for just $1? Since the company isn't actually operating, would it never be subject to the pay/withhold dividend rule and never have an impact to it's share price?

If you have the shares to open, you operate, with or without a train. So, while I think you could do this, your stock price would be dropping every OR for not operating. In other words, buying a train is part of the OR, so if you are buying trains, you are operating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
legacy_programmer wrote:

It hits the ledge or floor and stops.

Quote:

Yes. Off-boards are dead-ends.

Quote:

Yes, however as the company operated (it had an OR) and failed to pay a dividend, its stock price would fall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
legacy_programmer wrote:
My wife and I have been playing some two person 1856 just to get the rules figured out before we play a 'real' game with 3+ players. I've read the rules many times and have a couple questions on some nuances of the game.

Sounds like you are talking about the 'ledge'. The marker doesn't move when the stock is sold. When a company in that space operates, the marker will move up instead of moving to the right.

legacy_programmer wrote:

If the line going to the offboard location doesn't connect to anything, you are correct. If the line goes through the offboard location, you can run and lay track through it.

legacy_programmer wrote:

'Eligible' means you have a number of shares >= to the available train. I.E. 2 shares or more if a 2 train is available, 3 or more if a 3 train is available, etc... Once the train operates once, its always 'eligible'.

If the company doesn't operate, you can't do anything with it. That includes buying and selling trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed 'Stock
United States
Unspecified
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

Here's another one since the first few got hit out of the park so quickly.

Declaring dividends or withholding earnings - Say 6 shares are in players hands and 4 shares are still in the initial offering. I understand that if dividends are paid then 60% will be paid to players and 40% goes to the bank due to the shares still being in initial offering.

My question is, what if the company decides to withhold earnings? Do they get the full 100% for their treasury, or do they only get 60% because there are still initial offering shares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
legacy_programmer wrote:
My question is, what if the company decides to withhold earnings? Do they get the full 100% for their treasury, or do they only get 60% because there are still initial offering shares?

100%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
legacy_programmer wrote:
My wife and I have been playing some two person 1856..

I'm impressed already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed 'Stock
United States
Unspecified
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
photocurio wrote:
legacy_programmer wrote:
My wife and I have been playing some two person 1856..

I'm impressed already.

Oh yeah, she's a keeper She's tried every board game I've put in front of her and I've got a bunch of 'em back to the 80's when I started collecting in junior high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.