Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat D
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty excited about this expansion, but I wish there was a cheaper version without the wooden trains. I much prefer the wooden discs. Anyone else feel the same way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the wooden trains are a nice "option."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I prefer to play Steam with the wooden discs. But if you've read the Steam Barons rules you'll see that the wooden trains aren't simply to replace the discs - the discs are used as share tokens when playing Steam Barons. So the alternative to wooden trains would have been some other wooden marker (not a cube or cylinder, for reasons of clarity), and it probably wouldn't have been significantly cheaper.

I think the asking price on Steam Barons is quite reasonable - it's not just a simple tweak to Steam, it sounds to me like a whole different game than Steam. And regardless if you use the wooden trains for Steam, I think it's a significant improvement to Steam to have more track tiles available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
I prefer to play Steam with the wooden discs. If you've read the Steam Barons rules you'll see that the wooden trains aren't simply to replace the discs - the discs are used as share tokens when playing Steam Barons.

They are a nice "option" if you plan to play further basic, or standard games. As to ther preferences, I am sure natural cubes/disks/tokens could be purchased and painted to customize to one's own tastes. Personally I feel that the trains are a definite plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trainmeeples yeah
I'll be playing the base game with them as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the wooden trains! I'm trying to decide between buying Steam Barons vs. buying just the trains, which are available from Mayfair separately. I really don't feel like I need a stock-based variant yet and I would prefer to have some maps that work well with fewer players rather than the six-player maps that come with Steam Barons. The extra track tiles would be nice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat D
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I will definately be getting the expansion and think it is good value for money for what you get. I just think discs make the game cleaner, less fidly, and just more playable.

Looks like I'm in the minority here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Naumann
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I played Steam Barons twice now, and it is certainly worth it to get this expansion. It is a totally different feeling compared to 18xx. In 18xx you have the problem to get more shares later in the game because even the shares of "weaker" companies are better than no shares. In Steam Baron you have a good chance to exchange your current shares with better ones even in the last turn. That loosens the connection between player and company - for me a desirable feature of a shares-and-railway-building game.

That said the locomeeples are necessary to distinguish between track markers and share tokens. So: don't buy them seperately, buy the whole extension. It is really worth it.

And I see no reason why the maps provided in the extension should not work with 3 or 4 players. Same amount of cities as on any map. More small towns (and that has an impact in the last turns because it is easier to get long links), but take it as a more relaxing variation of the game, and you are fine. The maps are beautifully designed in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Burbach wrote:
I really like the wooden trains! I'm trying to decide between buying Steam Barons vs. buying just the trains, which are available from Mayfair separately. I really don't feel like I need a stock-based variant yet and I would prefer to have some maps that work well with fewer players rather than the six-player maps that come with Steam Barons. The extra track tiles would be nice though.

There is an image of the box-back on the Steam Barons page. It is big enough to allow easy reading. It indicates that the game, with the maps supplied, will work well for 2-player and up. Now I realize that this may be wishful thinking and that 2-player on these maps may not be the "sweet spot." It does appear to be a completely new game, so who knows the complete ramifications of the additions - it may very well "play" with lower player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that, using the Steam Barons stock system, the new maps and the older, large maps, are now playable with two. Playing the "base" game on a large map, it wasn't terribly competitive. With the stock system, you don't have to build on top of someone to go after their companies -- just buy shares.

I am very much looking forward to this game, trains and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riptcord wrote:
There is an image of the box-back on the Steam Barons page. It is big enough to allow easy reading. It indicates that the game, with the maps supplied, will work well for 2-player and up. Now I realize that this may be wishful thinking and that 2-player on these maps may not be the "sweet spot." It does appear to be a completely new game, so who knows the complete ramifications of the additions - it may very well "play" with lower player counts.

The stocks game works with 2-6 players. With 5 or 6 players it is rather tight as some players will probably end up not running companies some of the time.

Using the new maps with the base game gives you two maps that work well with 5 + players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cannon
England
Burgess Hill
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking forward to wooden trains for years. My copy arrived and I played with the trains last night. And guess what, I've decided I definitely prefer the tokens! Trains are a great idea but look way too fiddly on the board I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Koller
United States
Lousville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acorns wrote:
I've been looking forward to wooden trains for years.

Well, instead of looking forward to them you could also have been looking for them. There are dozens of options out there for you to find wooden trains. To name but two, you can buy wooden train meeples on Ebay for very little money. Alternatively, pick up a copy of Chicago Express for 19 Euros or less and you'll get a brilliant game AND game pieces you can use in both games:

Beware Chicaco Express only contains meeples for a maximum of 4 players, and that the colour scheme (incidentally) matches Age of Steam rather than Steam. But then there've been AoS players switching over to Steam who've complained of the change in colour scheme, so that could be a bonus to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windjammer wrote:
...you can buy wooden train meeples on Ebay for very little money.

Link? I have been looking but couldn't find anything...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.